LAVH questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH questions LAVH questions

Unread 09-14-2011, 09:16 PM
LAVH questions

I thought my gyn meant assisted hysto as in robotic assitsed. I was freakn out. Now I get what she meant was a lavh.

Is there a chance that I could loose feeling or have damage inside vaginal wall from this?

Any comments on this type of hysto?

Any one have to stay over night in hospital with this type of hysto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Re: LAVH questions

Hi again,
I am getting a LAVH, and I am staying overnight in hospital- i think that is fairly common. I think there is always a chance for complications, but my uneducated feeling is that at least with the Lap assist they will be able to see what they are doing and not be going in blind as with a TVH.
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Hello,
I just had a LAVH/BSO on Monday, Sept. 12. I did stay overnight for observation and pain management. My surgery was very uneventful though. I am 3 days post op now, and I am feeling great. My pain is very minimal. I am resting a lot and walking, but things couldn't be better.

My incisions are healing nicely and aren't at all bothersome. There is hardly any bruising. I think that it helped them get the surgery done quicker and less evasive with the lap.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions. I will be praying for you.

God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM

I had a LAVH. I had little pain afterwards and no loss of feeling anywhere. I had my uterus and cervix removed so I had a vaginal cuff created. I have had no issues. Hubby and I have resumed lovemaking and neither of us noticed any difference.
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the input so far!!!

Does having a Lavh make a possibility of damage inside the vaginal canal?
Unread 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM

I had a LAVH 8 weeks ago. I spent the night in the castle for observation and was home in my bed almost exactly 24 hours after they wheeled me into the surgery suite. I had very little pain with it and was back to 75% of myself within 6 weeks.

I was cleared for any activity that I felt like at 6 weeks with the advice of "if it hurts, stop - and then wait a week or so before trying it again." I have the cuff as well and still have some stitches in there (at least I did at 6 weeks) - but after taking it out for a "spin" with hubby - everything still works with no difference except being a wee bit tender. Actually the most uncomfortable thing has been if he is on top and puts too much weight on my belly.

I would assume that any surgery that involves cutting of the vaginal wall has the possibility of damage - but I would ask your doctor about it and do some research on here to see what you can find out.

Good luck!!
Unread 09-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Does lavh mean they are cutting off some of vaginal wall?

Or will my gyn tell me if she is going to?
Unread 09-15-2011, 01:48 PM

I had my cervix removed, so they cut around the cervix and slipped it all out of my vagina. Then she stitched it back up where the cervix used to be - kinda of like the toe end of a tube sock is how it has been described.

I don't know how squeemish you are - but I youtubed LAVH and found an actual surgical video that helped me understand what exactly was being cut and removed. Now my sister who had the same procedure didn't want to watch a true video of the surgery.

Have you looked at this section of HysterSisters?
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_laparoscopic_vhysterectomy.htm
It really helps clairfy some of the things that will happen.
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissStarlett View Post
Does having a Lavh make a possibility of damage inside the vaginal canal?
It could since there is vagina work done. But as far as experience, I didn't suffer any damage to any part of the vagina from my LAVH!

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register