My hair is falling out - Stress?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My hair is falling out - Stress?? My hair is falling out - Stress??

Unread 09-15-2011, 11:19 AM
My hair is falling out - Stress??

Hi Everyone,

It looks like I am finally starting to "let go" - unfortunately, it looks like my hair is what is letting go.

Did anyone else experience hair loss before their surgery?

I'm finally inside the 2 week window and my hair seems to be falling out in bunches.

I'm guessing it is stress-related... and I thought I was doing such a great job at managing my stress

goldenlife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Re: My hair is falling out - Stress??

Depending on why you're having surgery, it could be any number of things. Stress definitely is a factor but hormonal problems could also be causing it, or other medical issues. You could also simply be in one of those phases (I get these every couple of years) where the hair sheds over a period of a few months then settles back down.
Whatever it is, it's disconcerting! I think the body sends us signals when something is amiss but we don't always correlate the symptom to the problem, kwim? A lot of my symptoms I put down to aging or being out of condition.
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:50 AM

If you are anemic that could be a possible reason. I have been severely anemic for a long time and lost about half of my hair. Went from having curls to almost straight hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the input.

well... I don't think I'm anemic. I've been working really hard to stay on top of vitamin/mineral needs.

My diagnosis and reason for my hysterectomy is pre-cancer. It's been 3 1/2 months since my diagnosis and the end of September was the soonest they could get me in for surgery.

I'm starting to run out of things to keep me busy and really wanting to stay in bed longer and longer.

I don't really feel depressed. I know what that feels like. It isn't really sadness either. The only thing I can figure is stress. I'm trying to keep my stress and anxiety low, but there is some fear of the unknown of what they will find.

It is as if I have held on as long as I can and my "happy" face is starting to crumble. The longer I stay in bed each day leaves less hours during the day to try and fill up. Does that make sense?

It is what it is.... I guess my hair will grow back if too much of it falls out.

goldenlife
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM

You can be stressed without realizing it. I thought I was just fine before my surgery... concerned but handling things just fine. Then I got on the scale the morning of my surgery and realized that I had lost 7 lbs in one week. I was stressed about the whole thing and never realized it as I was eating normally and doing my normal amount of exercise.
Your hair will grow back once you are over the stress of it all. I wish you good luck in your surgery and an excellent recovery.
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:32 PM

I have had a bunch of hair loss every day for a long time. but no bald spots. I have had tons and tons of stress for years.
could be it, and even when you don't think your stressed you could still be in other ways and hey your body could be stressed and not you mentally.
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:11 AM

well, it sounds like the body and mind can separately do whatever they need to for coping with a situation.

I've been so good for the last 3 months. Walking faithfully, staying on top of my "to do" lists, stress reduction, making good decisions and overall taking care of myself. But I was also focused on a goal - I really believed I could turn my diagnosis around.

When the doctor finally gave me the surgery date and explained that it would be humanly impossible to do another BX as every cell in the uterus would need to be biopsied to see if the hyperplasia / atypia was gone - the goal was over.

I managed to keep pushing myself for 2 more weeks and now I just seem to be done. I keep hearing the little voice in my mind saying "I'm done; I just don't care anymore".

I tend to be a person that focuses on the goal and doesn't do that great of a job enjoying the journey (no matter what it is). It may be time to re-assess my life and start learning to enjoy the journey.

Thanks for your thoughts.

goldenlife
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM

Stress is a funny thing, it can manifest itself in so many ways, we often think we're coping when in fact we're stressing. I've noticed if I'm with friends, I joke and laugh and then get in the car and just cry. I'm trying to be strong so they won't pity me or worse, be terrified if they ever have to have a hysterectomy. *sigh* life is just strange I guess.
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM

MrsAllnut,

I know exactly what you mean. I do that with phone calls also. It is as if I don't want to be pitied and for anyone to feel sorry for me. My public performance is different than what I am doing in private. They think I am doing great.

I want to be that positive upbeat person. I'm thinking about calling the doctor, but don't want to be that needy patient either.

It is so hard to be everything to everyone. I probably need to get over myself.... and simply love myself enough to do whatever it takes to take care of myself.

goldenlife
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Definitely love yourself but you know what's great? You can come in here and fall apart all you like! I know I do. Just reading what you posted made me realize I have not been doing myself any favors by keeping a stoic face on.
I think sometimes we have to be selfish and self-centered because if we don't, we lose who we are and we stop being any good to anyone. I always tell my friends, if we don't take care of the caregiver, how can she take care of others? I don't know if it's upbringing or society or the media or what, but I always feel like I'm somehow not doing enough, even when I look back on the day and see it was full. My DH, my doc, even my anesthesiologist have all chided me for taking the blame for my illness. I am still beating myself up for taking what I thought was the easy route, which turned around and became the hard way. I've decided to blame a malfunctioning crystal ball instead.
Don't forget to do something nice for you. You work hard, you are a good woman, you need a bit of pampering too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlife View Post
MrsAllnut,

I know exactly what you mean. I do that with phone calls also. It is as if I don't want to be pitied and for anyone to feel sorry for me. My public performance is different than what I am doing in private. They think I am doing great.

I want to be that positive upbeat person. I'm thinking about calling the doctor, but don't want to be that needy patient either.

It is so hard to be everything to everyone. I probably need to get over myself.... and simply love myself enough to do whatever it takes to take care of myself.

goldenlife

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register