Scheduled TAH Concerns about a roommate - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerns about a roommate Concerns about a roommate

Unread 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Re: Concerns about a roommate

I had a roomate, but there were curtains and she honestly caused less noise than the hustle/bustle of the hospital floor. When you're actually doing all of this, you will probably be pleasantly surprised by how unruffled you are by things that you thought would drive you up a wall: even my terrifying pre-surgery nemesis the catheter was pretty much a shrug when I actually had it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2011, 10:42 PM

I'm in a ward, and get this; all three of my roommates are guys. It makes me very uncomfortable, but you do what you have to. I haven't said what type of surgery i had, just that I did.

Earphones, music, tv & reading has hekped. Not that I read much, can't concentrate. I've also been sleeping a lot. I wish you all the besy.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:08 PM

Aille, they must have been hard up for beds if you have guys for roommates. My daughter is a nurse at our local hospital and she said that they don't mix the genders where she is at. Mind you she doesn't work on the surgical floor but she is pretty sure that it doesn't happen up there either. You have my admiration with your comment "but you do what you have to". I am sending healing thoughts your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2011, 02:22 PM

I was in a room by myself for most of my first day in the hospital, but late that evening, they brought in an elderly woman who had gall bladder surgery. I was pretty upset to have a roommate, but found out that it was great. Maybe I was just lucky, but she was wonderful! She too had a Hysterectomy earlier in her life, and knew what I was going through. She gave wonderful advice, and it was almost like a slumber party! I was sad to see her go home the next day. She gave me a hug and wished me good luck before she went, and I cried. You just never know what blessings will fall in your lap!
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aille View Post
I'm in a ward, and get this; all three of my roommates are guys. It makes me very uncomfortable, but you do what you have to. I haven't said what type of surgery i had, just that I did.

Earphones, music, tv & reading has hekped. Not that I read much, can't concentrate. I've also been sleeping a lot. I wish you all the besy.
WHAT??? That is just not right to put a woman with a bunch of guys in the same room. I hope you get to go home soon so you can be in your own bed. Bless you for putting up with that.
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Wow! You are a trooper!! I am sending you wishes for a quick recovery. Maybe you will soon be at home in your own bed with some peace and privacy.
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks for sharing. You are right. Blessings are so often hidden in the strangest of places.
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Concerns about a roommate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
Aille, they must have been hard up for beds if you have guys for roommates. My daughter is a nurse at our local hospital and she said that they don't mix the genders where she is at. Mind you she doesn't work on the surgical floor but she is pretty sure that it doesn't happen up there either. You have my admiration with your comment "but you do what you have to". I am sending healing thoughts your way.
Thqnk you for the healing thoughts. The guys have been nice, but it really doesn't feel right. I've never been in a mixed ward before like this. Thankfully all my nurses have been female so I'm not completely overwhelmed. If all goes well I'll be released tomorrow, but more like Tuesday now.
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Aille - I read your post to my daughter and she did confirm that it wouldn't happen on any floors of the hospital she works for. It doesn't matter that there are curtains around your bed, the guys can hear every question that the nurses ask of you. How uncomfortable knowing that you have 3 guys listening in on your care. If you are going to be in until Tuesday, can you asked to be switched to a women only ward? I am sure that they must have to accommodate some ladies due to religious beliefs so it doesn't hurt to ask.
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:28 AM

wow, i did not even think if i would have a roomate. I am scheduled in two weeks. I am not a fan at all especially when not feeling well of strangers. And lord help me if she talks and talks and talks. UG. I hope and pray I do not. They should invest in private rooms to help us who going through rough surgeries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register