Scheduled TAH Magnesium Citrate ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Magnesium Citrate ? Magnesium Citrate ?

Unread 09-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Magnesium Citrate ?

I have to do my bowel prep on Sunday. I was looking at the bottle of magnesium citrate. It says it can be taken as one dose or divided into two. It says not to exceed 10 oz. in a day. My docs note said to purchase enough for two doses...I am a little confused, am I supposed to drink two bottles of this or just one. The doc's note also says do not exceed recommended doasage on the bottle. If I am reading this right, I should drink 5 oz. at 7 a.m and another 5 oz. at 11 a.m. and no more...has this been your experience for those that have done this?

Thank you...I don't think my brain is functioning properly these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2011, 05:17 AM
Re: Magnesium Citrate ?

You might want to just call the docs office to clarify, because they all seem to do things a little differently. I had to drink a whole bottle at once. It tastes nasty. Be prepared. I mixed mine with grape gatorade and still had a hard time getting the whole thing down. Is this the only bowel prep your doc ordered? If so, you might have to drink 2 bottles, but, call the doc to clarify. Best wishes!
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:20 AM

I had to drink this prior to some GI tests last week. With the magnesium citrate I had to drink it at around 4:30 the night before my procedure, it's very sour so they told me to drink it all and then chase it down with at least 8oz of water. I just drank the one 10oz bottle. I did check with the doctors office prior as I wasn't sure. Hope all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM

I just talked to them and they said do not exceed the 10 oz. She said if after 5 oz. things are coming out completely clear then I do not have to take the second 5 oz. but I doubt that will happen knowing my bowels. LOL

I am to the point of lets get it done. I just had my last day at work for a while...I was crying because I will miss everyone and the little kids.
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:24 PM

10 ounces oughta do it. I took my dose at 2:30 pm and was still, er, feeling the magic at 9:00 am the next day, because my system was all wonky and slow from the fibroid.

Absolutely clear may not happen: don't freak out. The bowel still has enzymes and such that color what comes out.

I was DREADING the taste, but Target's lemon flavor was genuinely
not offensive. The actual, er, magic
wasn't too awful either: my fears were much worse than the reality. Get some silly magazines and put a sign on the bathroom.
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:34 PM

Wow...I didn't have to do any of that.
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:59 PM

Depends so much on individual doctors, plus location stuff. My lady stuff was pressing down very close to my digestive stuff, and my doctor wanted to make sure that, if she WERE to nick my colon, she'd be nicking a very clean colon. It didn't end out being an issue, but I'm glad we did it anyway.
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:09 AM

My surgery is Monday too. I, like you, am starting to make sure I have everything for my bowel prep on Sunday. My instructions are the following:
4 Dulcolax tablets
1-238 gram bottle of Miralox
1-64 oz bottle of Gatorade, Crystal Light or Propel (I had to get 2 32 oz bottles) can be any flavor as long as it is NOT red or purple

Sunday
At 3pm - take 2 Dulcolax pills
At 5pm - mix the 238 gram bottle of Miralax in the 64 oz bottle of Gatorade. Shake the solution until the Miralax is dissolved. Drink an 8 oz glass every 15 minutes until the solution is gone. If you get full, just take a break and start again.
At 8pm - take another 2 more dulcolax tablets.
Continue drinking LOTS of clear fluids until bedtime. No liquids after midnight.

All day on Sunday ONLY clear liquids. I am dreading the "prep" day more than the surgery! :-)
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:22 AM

I am really not looking forward to this tomorrow either. I said we are going out for a nice meal tonight because I can't eat anything besides jello, broth with no noodles and drink clear liquids all day tomorrow. Plus running to the potty every so often to clean myself out. My doc said she has never had an issue but she has everyone do this just to be safe. I am bummed more about the fact that I will miss my daughter's volleyball game and a surprise b-day party for my husband's uncle tomorrow. I am afraid to go out of the house and get too far away from a potty. LOL

My jello is hardening in the fridge right now so I guess I am about as ready as I can be at this point.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:34 AM

It's genuinely not that awful. The citrate didn't taste nearly as bad as I'd worked myself up to expect. Nothing at all happened to me for the first two or three hours, then I had four separate rounds of very clear off-to-the-toilet feelings which gave me plenty of time to grab a magazine and get into the bathroom.

I didn't have any of the soreness I was expecting afterwards, either. All that to say, it ain't gonna be starred in anyone's calendar as the Best Six Hours of Your Life, but you WILL get through this, and it won't be that bad.

Small piece of TMI advice, though: avoid highly colored foods today if you're cleansing tomorrow. I will never have another wheatgrass vegetable juice blend again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register