Risks of no estrogen replacement? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Risks of no estrogen replacement? Risks of no estrogen replacement?

Unread 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Risks of no estrogen replacement?

Hi all... I'm new to hystersisters. I had a hysterectomy in June and also had my ovary removed (only had one... lost the other when I was 16 due to cysts). anyway, I'm having one heck of a time with these hormones. Started on Divigel and my body wasn't absorbing it at all. Switched to Estrace and I'm depressed, exhausted like crazy, and am having insane headaches. Going in on Monday but was wondering what the risks are of not being on any estrogen? I seem to have developed issues with "hormones" as I've gotten older. I was on progesterone for TTC a while back and had a crazy scary reaction to it and was told to NEVER take it again. Now I'm acting strange on the estrogen. I've been on BCP since I was young and never had problems until the last few years. I'm just not sure the hormones are worth it!!! Anyone know the risks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Re: Risks of no estrogen replacement?

Sorry you are having problems with finding the right hormone for you. Maybe there is still the right one for you that you have not tried.

Here is some info on benefits and risks:http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/007111.htm

Hope this helps.

Unread 09-17-2011, 11:03 AM

We also have this article you might find helpful: Estrogen - Is It Important

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks Ladies for the links. I haven't taken my estrogen in a few days and I feel SOOOOO MUCH BETTER. I'm going in to see the doctor tomorrow (monday) and will have to talk to him about the risks of not taking it more. I haven't had any headaches since I stopped it, I'm not depressed, I have more energy. It's frustrating not knowing what is the best thing! I don't like falling asleep sitting up, battling constant migraines and feeling like my world is crashing down around me when there is nothing going on to make me feel that way. I am by nature a peppy/happy person, so it's hard to see myself that way!

Has anyone else tried not taking the estrogen? Thanks again for any input!
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Spoke with doctor about hormonal replacement, the important of taking this medicine, will avoid plaque build up in the heart, the medicine will provide protection to the heart.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:05 PM

I did not see you list your age. If you are still in your 40s or younger you might be able to take the birth control pills again.. The come in very low dose and if you were successful with them once, maybe try again.My doc said they would give them to me except for my age, I'm too old.
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:59 AM

I am young and my doctor said birth control pills contain higher levels of hormones than hrt. Also BCP are on a cycle so they do not give you hormones for a full month, only 3 weeks.
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM

I know this has been discussed on this board before. Some docs think it is a good idea, esp in peri- menopause. I think you said you had one ovary left? anyway, it is an option for some.
I also recall a discussion on this board about how younger women may need more estrogen than typically prescribed. I recall after my hysterectomy they put me on I think either 1mg or 1.25 mg of premarin. this was just standard dose-no one ever did hormone levels for me. I recall the discussion here - some saying that 2mg or even 2.5 may be what younger women need. It depends on your body and how you react to the hormones. I wish I had known this when I was younger. I was probably not taking enough estrogen.
I will try and find those threads for you, one is just a discussion of using bc pills etc and one is about younger women may not be getting enough estrogen in typical doses that are prescribed.
tansey
Unread 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM

sorry seems I can't post the link even though it is from this site. I put in 'younger women need more estrogen' and several threads came up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register