I am nervous and worried about the recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am nervous and worried about the recovery time I am nervous and worried about the recovery time

Unread 09-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I am nervous and worried about the recovery time

I am nervous and worried about the recovery time. Some of you have written that you have had easy recoveries etc. Did you stay home by yourself? Did someone come stay with you during the day? My family will be home in the evening but what about during the day? and Im worried that staying home will drive me crazy and I will want to go back to work. ( I do love my job)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I am nervous and worried about the recovery time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellann View Post
I am nervous and worried about the recovery time. Some of you have written that you have had easy recoveries etc. Did you stay home by yourself? Did someone come stay with you during the day? My family will be home in the evening but what about during the day? and Im worried that staying home will drive me crazy and I will want to go back to work. ( I do love my job)
I did have someone with me but I think I would of been okay after probably the first week...You just have to take it easy and listen to your body. Do you have someone that can stay with you for at least the first few days? I used the "down" time to really work on myself. I read or listened to some great self help books. One was "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, the other was "Life Strategies" by Dr. Phil. Both excellent books and when I was ready to go back to work I had a whole new lease on life and my productivity has sky rocketed.
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Re: I am nervous and worried about the recovery time

My DH and DD will be with me. I have surgery on Thurs. so have them for the weekend. What if I cant get up to go to the bathroom? lol What if I need something from the kitchen? Those little things I am worried about. I live 6 miles from one town and 12 from the other and 1 mile off the highway...wht if I need someone? I am a worrier arent I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM

I had TAH and hubby brought me home the day I was discharged and went back to work. No one stayed with me during the day and I was fine.

I could make it to the kitchen and the bathroom without any help. I stayed on the couch during the day, took my meds, and slept until hubby got home.

It wasn't as bad as I thought. I felt like crap and was glad I was alone and didn't have someone hovering over me all day. If I wanted something, I just got up and got it...but NO bending or lifting.

The first couple of weeks I was getting bored, mainly because I wasn't moving around much. After week 2, I felt better and was more mobile so I could sit at my pc, surf the net, make myself some lunch, walk around outside, etc. Now, I'm just enjoying my time off of work..lol

Hey time flies by ladies. I'll be going back to work in 3 weeks..ughh
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Hello. I'm now four weeks post op and donig well. My first couple of days post op were not too hard. Took longer to do things, like get up from a chair/couch, walk, but I did everything I needed to do. I did have people around, but it was somewhat unnerving. It was still summer vacation so my kids were home, asking to go here and there, and can my friends come in, stuff like that. I probably would have done better alone! LOL!

Now, having said all that, I made sure I had everything I might need close by. Water bottle, book, telephone, remote, blanket and pillow. I didn't need to get up much, and most of the time I didn't need any help.

You'll be doing things much slower, walking and stuff, but I think you may be alright for the amount of time you'll be alone. You might just sleep or watch tv. You will be tired!

Good luck and hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Thank you ladies. Your words are comforting to me!!!! I made a list of things I have seen here posted that I would need close by and will get them ready next week. I do need to buy a body pillow though. The dauchsaunds will keep me company I am sure...they do love to snuggle.
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM

I had an insanely sized tumor removed Tuesday and am home alone on the couch today: my mother is staying nights and I have visitors, but I'm feeling okay about me time.

The first day post surgery, you will feel soo unsteady and weak, and may not be able to walk unaccompanied. That changes quickly, though: initially, I was literally terrified of getting out of bed, and now I can easily get up, down, whatever, all with a pretty fresh vertical scar.

Also, my work is my LIFE and I hate taking sick days, but you get a new perspective when you're out of surgery. I am the most active person I know: everyone, including me, was very nervous about the idea of me on a couch, but I really have no desire to do anything but lie around, heal, nap, and just savor the feeling of having had this dealt with.
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Just think, you get the remote control all day long! It helps to put a basket nearby: phone, pen, paper. I have two small coolers, one for my hot compress, one for my cold. I have tissues, lotions, a water bottle, crackers, chocolate (priorities!).
It's nerve-wracking to think you'll be alone, but the first few days are the most critical, so having help then will be important. Do you have an abdominal band (belly band)? That saved my sanity after a C-section, I have on eready to go for this big surgery too. Good luck to you and don't forget the most important thing: breathe!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellann View Post
Thank you ladies. Your words are comforting to me!!!! I made a list of things I have seen here posted that I would need close by and will get them ready next week. I do need to buy a body pillow though. The dauchsaunds will keep me company I am sure...they do love to snuggle.
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Three weeks today post dvh/bso....somehow, it all worked out! My husband stayed for a day or two from work, then some girlfriends came over, then my daughter...little by little you will see that it's is actually nice to be alone and quiet for a few hours, if only to rest. Between talking on the phone, people stopping by and just healing, I loved the quiet "downtime". Bed tray with water, tissues, pen, reading material, remote...you willbe okay!
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Hi, I'm 8 weeks post op. I had uterus and cervix out, spent two nights in the hospital and then home. I had DH and DS home with me for 2 weeks. I was happy to have DH because I needed help drying off after a shower and he kept track of when to take my meds. I also would have ate nothing at all as I had no appetite for a long time. So he made sure I ate several times a day. He was also a lifesaver as I had to make an emergency trip to the doctor and I couldn't drive myself for several weeks. After that I had my 16 year old to bring me water, run and fetch and clean the litterbox.

We all heal at our own speed. Some people are up and about in a couple days and for some it's a couple weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register