I am nervous and worried about the recovery time - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am nervous and worried about the recovery time I am nervous and worried about the recovery time

Unread 09-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Re: I am nervous and worried about the recovery time

I had DH and DD home with me for the weekend i got home on saturday. You really learn to appreciate your alone time. It was nice having tem home but the hovering got to be a bit much. Every time i got up to go to the bathroom you have to answer 45 questions abou why im up out of bed. Love my family but quiet time is a godsend. You will spend a lot of time sleeping. I just set my phone alarm to wake me when it was time for medicine. I even did that in the hospital. After they took th morphine pump the nurses would forget to come every 4 hours to give me my pain pills. I quickly learned to set my alarm and call them for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks ladies
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:34 PM

I bought a few snacks and gum for my bedside today. Now just to get a body pillow and grabber thing to reach things and maybe some more books.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2011, 11:40 AM

I live alone and though one of my girlfriends wants me to come stay with her for a few days am not sure if I am going to take her up on it.. it is nothing like being at home. I think I can manage ( I plan on sleeping in the recliner for a few days and I have a 1/2 bath downstairs and will set a chairside table up with little necessities). If I can't manage then I can always get some help. Sometimes being alone is best especially when you are not feeling 100% - then you wont be inclined to engage in conversation if you don't feel up to it, etc.
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM

I am almost 6 weeks post-op (TAH) and my hubby took a week off and after I had my son and daughter here to help... I was very lucky to have them for that long after that I been alone in day....I like resting and having remote to myself....I feel a whole lot better and I have 3 weeks left before I go back to work, so I taking advantage right now
Unread 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Hi there! I'm only post-op day 6 but wanted to chime in. I had an LSH last Wednesday, three stab wounds, took just the uterus. I was in the hospital from Wednesday until Friday -- was cleared to go home Thursday but still didn't feel quite up to being 'on my own' yet, so I asked to stay one more night. My DH was home with me on Friday, he did go to work Saturday for a bit but my 13yo DS was here and my parents stopped by for a while, too. I'm feeling much better than I thought I would be -- and DH went back to work this week so I've been on my own during the days with no problems.

I've read about the grabber being helpful but personally I haven't needed one . . . I have been bending down and such, taking care of the dogs and everything, and as long as I go carefully and slowly it's been just fine. Bend with your knees, not your hips! ;-) I have my little supply of stuff on the table next to my chair -- laptop on one side, water bottle and phone and reading material and crochet project on the other side. I've been doing some light housework and driving and a couple of loads of laundry without any problem. My DH is actually going out of town tomorrow until Saturday and I'm no longer worried about how I'll manage without him; in fact, I think I'll do better because we won't be fighting for the comfortable chair!! hehehe.

It's different for everyone, but I hope reading others' experiences helps ease your mind. We women are incredible creatures . . . aren't we?

Take care!
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Hi Nellan!

Please try and relax! I live by myself, so I asked the doctor if I could stay in the hospital over-night. He said yes, and I was discharged on Saturday morning. My mother stayed with me for two days. I was fine when she went home. I was expecting horrible pain and to be bed-ridden for weeks! Yes, I was a little sore, but nothing that Advil didn't take care of! I have two cats that I was able to take care of. The only part of their care that I couldn't do was to change the litter box, but I had no problem asking a friend or a family member to come over and help with that. The doctor had me on restrictions for several weeks. Sex was out of the question and so was some housework, but it was all worth it. I was able to drive after three days, and go out to the grocery store. I took walks everyday to help with the constipation and to get me feeling better. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body. If you need a nap-TAKE ONE REGARDLESS of what anyone might say. My hysterectomy knocked me for a loop. I felt really tired for days. But it was all worth it. Just think how wonderful it will be not to have anymore painful periods!
Just try to relax-you'll be fine!

(((hugs))),

Jo-Jo
LAVH Nov. 2010
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM

I am thinking I wont get released from the hosp until Sat morning so then I have a friend coming Mon and Tues to stay with me. By that time I figure I will be ok to be by myself. Its good to hear others talk about taking care of their animals Because I was concerned about how they would be feed etc. No one can ever seem to remember except Momma!!! LOL I am looking forward to my time alone and at home. I do want to know how long you gals took off work and when you were ready to go back to work??
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:28 AM

Hello Nell Anne,
I live alone and one of my biggest concern was/is that I can’t take care of my animals after my surgery and that they would have a save place to stay while I am in the hospital.

When my doc mentioned a hyster I did not even consider it because I had nobody I trust to take care of my 2 dogs and I don’t have any family who could help.
I got lucky when I mentioned it to one of my friends from the dog park – I am going in for an SAH and bladder repair next week Friday – the dogs will be going to stay with my friend on Thursday and she will drop them off at my house the following Thursday. The cat will be able to fend for himself while I am in the hospital. Unless it is totally terrible there I am planning to stay as long as possible. At least there is someone to take care of me.
If you don’t have anybody cleaning the litter box for you on a regular basis – you can try and elevate it – I had thought of putting it on top of the work bench in the basement. The food dish can go on the counter or kitchen table for now.

Once I am out of the hospital I have a lady check on me every other day and she will also be walking my dogs on a daily basis/clean litter box until I am able to. I do have to pay here but at least I have peace of mind.

I stocked up on enough food for me and the animals to last 2 weeks and all the heavy items such as water and cat litter.
I got one of those grabbers.
My bedroom is setup with everything in easy reach – meds, phone etc with a basked to ‘essentials’ that I can carry to the living room.
Some people may think I am overly organizing this but it gives me comfort to know I have done my best to prepare. 10 years ago I needed emergency surgery – no time to organize anything – when I got home it was terrible – so this time I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

At first I felt sad that I had to go to the hospital by myself the day of surgery – now I am glad – when my surgery got cancelled last Friday after waiting for 5h I could not have dealt with someone sitting with me for that time. I can hold it together better when I am by myself and may have gotten weepy and cranky with a friend there.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register