Homeopathic remedies for pre-surgery anxiety? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Homeopathic remedies for pre-surgery anxiety? Homeopathic remedies for pre-surgery anxiety?

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Homeopathic remedies for pre-surgery anxiety?

Hi,
Has anyone used homeopathic remedies for their pre-surgery anxiety?

I have done pretty good at managing the stress and anxiety up until this week. I am now about 1 1/2 weeks before my surgery and feel like I have hit a brick wall.

I don't really feel depressed or even sad. I feel like my mind and body are shutting down. I decided to call the surgeon today.

He did get back to me, but it was the end of the day and a Friday. He is going to have a cancer psychologist/psychiatrist that they work with give me a call.

I want some help with the anxiety, but really wish I wasn't the wimpy patient that needs help.

Anyway, I won't hear anything until Monday. I've used homeopathic remedies before for other things with success and suddenly thought about it.

I was curious what others have done to help with pre-surgery anxiety.

Thanks,
goldenlife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Re: Homeopathic remedies for pre-surgery anxiety?

Hi Goldenlife,

I'm feeling the same way you are. My surgery is this wed. 9/21. Last week I ended up going to my Dr because the anxiety effected me so bad. I woke up thinking about the surgery, I went to bed thinking about it. I wasn't able to sleep. He gave me the smallest dose of xanax (I have a problem with taking medication, always fearful of it) I just take it at bedtime so I can rest. It has helped.

I'm so fearful of all the "what if"s" but I'm trying to realize that no matter how much I worry it isn't going to change anything. (I haven't stopped)

If you find anything homeopathic I would love to know so I can use it when I get home from the hospital.

wishing you a speedy recovery

MsKati
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:27 PM

I drank tea, listened to favorite music, closed eyes and took deep belly breaths, walked around in nature, and made myself a little photo book with snapshots of favorite places I'd been to. I'd look at just one photo at a time, remembering the sights and sounds of that place, imagining myself going back there, but without the pain I'd been living with.

And, silly but effective, there's a beautiful poem by Antonio Machado ( http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Antonio_Machado ) that has the line, "there is no road. The road is made by walking (on it)." I'd say that to myself, again and again, to remind myself that I was doing exactly the right thing, every moment, every day, to get to the other side of things: there isn't a right and a wrong way to be anxious and scared, just a collection of do-able seconds of time collecting together to move you forward. I took a permanent marker and wrote "make the road" , in very small letters on my hand, right below my thumb, on the day of my surgery, so that if I needed it, that could be something to look at.

You will get there! These last few weeks and days are almost intolerable, but they pass.

PS: You are NOT NOT NOT a wimpy patient. You are an intelligent person who thinks thoroughly and deeply through things. It's not wimpy to be nervous: I think folks who breeze straight past this kind of stuff have a different kind of pathology going on, to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Hi MsKati,

I went to a website called holisticonline (I wasn't sure if we can put website links in or not) and chose the category of "anxiety" down the left side column. You should be able to find the website.

On the anxiety page is a huge list of different ways to deal with anxiety. I just happened to look at the homeopathy category because I am familiar with homeopathy. I went today to the vitamin shoppe near me and picked up the one that I feel is most appropriate for my symptoms. I hope it works.

The page lists various symptoms that go with the different remedies at the bottom of the homeopathy page.

I also saw a category of herbal teas and I plan to explore the reflexology information more.

The reflexology category won't cost me any money. It lists what to do, but doesn't have a picture of the feet and all the reflexology points, but I looked around online for a picture and found several. That would be something easy for me to do.

Maybe this website can offer some options for you after surgery. I'm going to research the site for some "easy" options

The simple truth is that I know of several things that can reduce anxiety/stress, but they take effort on my part.

Maybe I can study the "tea" page and put together a tea idea for myself. Fall/winter are coming and I usually have tea in the cooler months to help warm me up. If they should also reduce my anxiety - that would be a bonus.

I also know how to tap to reduce stress, but it takes a little work. Meditation / deep breathing also reduce anxiety. You can watch videos on uTube to learn how to tap.

Sometimes I forget about the tools that I have in my anxiety toolbox and just want something super easy.

The homeopathic remedy is easy (some tablets under the tongue several times a day) and I like the tea idea.

Hope this page gives you some ideas. I stumbled upon it through searching for homeopathy. It is already giving me some simple/new ideas.

Good luck with your surgery date. I'll be a week behind you.

goldenlife
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Hi Turanga_4,

Your ideas are really great. I really like your idea of the reminder near your thumb.

It is like a "trigger" or "anchor" that can be used to take your mind to that place of choosing your next step - instead of simply letting life happen to you, you become the orchestrator of the painting that is your life. I really really like that. Thank you for that idea.

I have already decided that I am not going to waste what I see as a wake-up call for my life. I just don't know what that totally means, but I know I refuse to let this pre-cancer diagnosis become a wasted experience.

I'm going to do a little research and figure out how I can anchor ?? maybe to a mole (age spot) on my knuckle that I see everyday.

Thanks...
goldenlife
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:55 PM

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor. You don't want to take any type of herbs/supplements/vitamins/etc. this close to surgery without your doctor's permission. Some can create issues that could cause your surgery to be postponed.

You might find the Pre-Op Articles Relaxation Suggestions to Prepare for Hysterectomy and Coping with Anxiety and Fear before Hysterectomy helpful.

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register