Scheduled LAVH Is it normal to feel so sad before? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it normal to feel so sad before? Is it normal to feel so sad before?

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Re: Is it normal to feel so sad before?

Dawn2sea. Tough times, but you will survive. I went thru a 3 year long divorce all the while I enduring 5 surgeries during that time, maintaining my job, raising 3 kids, taking care of a horse and a houseful of animals and being my own lawyer, running to court, filing paperwork. It was a very tough road but I am so much happier. I finally come home to a home I love again. Living in an unhappy situation takes away the comfort refuge called home.

Life does get better. Focus on your life as you would like it. Focus on those beautiful moments to come!

Its all just bumps in the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2011, 03:09 PM

My surgery was 09/12, so I'm still in the early recovery stage. I can say from the "flip side", that the anticipation of not knowing was the hardest part. Fear, dread, sadness, and even some excitement is a normal range of emotions. Having had gallbladder surgery before, as well as, lapro to look for endometrious (sp?), prepared me somewhat. But every surgery, post-op, and recovery is different. You must be your own advocate. I did have some pain and nausea upon waking up after my hysterectomy, and I was quick to voice so. Don't be afraid to speak what you are feeling, the nurses are not mind-readers.
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:09 PM

I cried and cried until my surgery. Every time I saw the doctor, every time I had to deal with everything associated with the surgery and randomly would just break down a cry. Luckily for me that has been the worst of it so far. Waiting was the hardest and most emotional part for me . I thought about canceling a thousand times, but the consent cramps and pain warned me not to cancel. I met with the surgeon twice before surgery, both times she had to give me multiple tissues and told me that the crying probably won't go away until after surgery. It is a tough and emotional decision no matter what is wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Is it normal to feel so sad before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFlyer View Post
I'm with you! Mine is scheduled for the 7th. Ive told very few people. I feel... embarrassed ?, Sad, overwhelmed, disappointed. Trying very hard everyday to just power thru it. Focusing on the good things in my life. I even started to try and find positive things about surgery day. I'll get visitors with presents, the kids will do the house chores..LOL! and maybe a flower bouquet or two. Im a single mother of 3 and have had some tough times. And the one thing I have learned is that sometimes survival means something as simple as changing your focus. Trying not to give those negative feelings too much attention.

You're not alone. And I am so glad I have this place. I am a very private person. And its nice to just have a place to talk about it.
Sweetie I know exactly how you feel. I am almost 9 weeks post op. I am a very private person also and I feel embarrassed about people knowing what surgery I had. I have told very few people, everyone else just knows it's surgery and have been polite enough to not ask what it was. Its rough grieving the loss of your uterus and redefining how you feel about yourself. I am learning it's one step at a time: keep busy before your surgery and prepare, rest and heal afterwards and process it and continue life as the new you. It's a difficult journey for some of us but we're women and we can handle the challenge! All the best to you.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM

Thank you so much sugarandspice! Your post made me cry..but in a good way. I am like you. I've just just told co workers I am having surgery and will be out for a few weeks in Oct. It's just so ..personal. The only ones that I have shared it with are my kids and my S.O.
This weekend I have decided its time to face it and start planning. Accept and move on. I have purchased a few Kincade puzzles to do, bought some new Pj's and a new robe online, ordered a pillow pet..a zebra to match the new zebra robe.hahaha, and some ceramics to paint. I'll be ok. I can just enjoy the days home and be happy I can see kids off to school in the morning which I miss because I am usually at work at 6am.
I am not sure why this surgery...affects me so emotionally. I guess, it makes me feel old. And at 50, I hang with my kids like I am 20, so I guess its been a big mortality and reality slap.
I have also had some test results come back this week positive for Rheumatoid. But...as Scarlett said..."I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." So, post op, and healed, I will deal with that next bump in the road.
Thank you again for your post SugarandSpice. It was greatly appreciated.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Is it normal to feel so sad before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFlyer View Post
Thank you so much sugarandspice! Your post made me cry..but in a good way. I am like you. I've just just told co workers I am having surgery and will be out for a few weeks in Oct. It's just so ..personal. The only ones that I have shared it with are my kids and my S.O.
This weekend I have decided its time to face it and start planning. Accept and move on. I have purchased a few Kincade puzzles to do, bought some new Pj's and a new robe online, ordered a pillow pet..a zebra to match the new zebra robe.hahaha, and some ceramics to paint. I'll be ok. I can just enjoy the days home and be happy I can see kids off to school in the morning which I miss because I am usually at work at 6am.
I am not sure why this surgery...affects me so emotionally. I guess, it makes me feel old. And at 50, I hang with my kids like I am 20, so I guess its been a big mortality and reality slap.
I have also had some test results come back this week positive for Rheumatoid. But...as Scarlett said..."I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." So, post op, and healed, I will deal with that next bump in the road.
Thank you again for your post SugarandSpice. It was greatly appreciated.
You're welcome :-) The hardest parts are the waiting for surgery and then picking up and continuing with your life afterward (my personal struggle at the moment). Healing after surgery was the easiest part... You're sore, you sleep, etc. It's frustrating and uncomfortable, but then we expect that. Keep busy for now, clean the house, fill the freezer, have little treats put away for the kids to give to them while you're recovering... I know what you mean about feeling old... I feel the same. Deep breath... Remember "Tomorrow is another day"!
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:20 PM

If you live by Scarlett you will be just fine. She is my hero. Lol. There is nothing better than Gone With the Wind.
Just keep ur head held high and lots of prayers.
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Thank you CapriSun and SugarandSpice. I will, for tomorrow is another day
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Hi,
I posted the day before surgery- just wanted to say that after totally breaking down and bawling my eyes out all that day and being hugged by my husband for a few hours, I went to surgery yesterday much more at peace with myself. I just found out i cant have HRT for six months, so I will probably be a basket case for a while, but I don't regret the surgery right now. I am just taking things one breath at a time.
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Thank you ladies, I have been on an emotional roller-coaster ride. I was beginning to feel rather silly for being so emotional about my up coming procedure. I have had some major changes in my life the past month and half, when I got my diagnosis and found out how and what needed to happen to "feel better" I was in shock. It added to the overwhelming sense of loss I have already been feeling. I am starting to accept it and even went and looking for new sweats to wear after surgery. I do wish I could overcome my deep rooted fears about surgery however as nothing scares me more than not being in control of body and what is going to happen to it. I am so insecure and feel horrible about my body. I am about 70 lbs over weight and so not being able to hide in my clothes makes me crazy. I am so glad I have someplace to be able to speak honestly and not feel stupid about all my sadness and fear. Thank you again. Lasso

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register