Scheduled TVH Wondering why instructions are so different? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering why instructions are so different? Wondering why instructions are so different?

Unread 09-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Wondering why instructions are so different?

I understand that different doctors have different ways of doing things and for different procedures. It just seems so strange to me that some doctors say that you'll need 8 weeks off no matter what kind of hysterectomy you have and others say you can go back to work in a week. I mean, you're still having the same things taken out inside. I just don't understand why there's such a broad range from one doctor to another. My surgery is on the 27th and I don't work, I'm a student, so I'm not being affected the same way as others that work, but my best friend is having an LAVH tomorrow and her doctor only gave her 3 weeks off of work, and she has a pretty demanding job where she's on her feet all day!

I know everyone heals differently, but for me, I'm just sick of hearing well so and so went back to work the next day! Really sick of being given advice by people that haven't gone through it, which is why I am constantly on this site! Love my HysterSisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Re: Wondering why instructions are so different?

I know what you mean totally and I'm also amazed at how big the differences between various countries seem to be.

My surgeon was very insistent on 8 weeks for me. I suspect he was talking in an 'ideal world' and thankfully I've been able to take 9 weeks but when some doctor's say something very different it can make those who take longer feel that they aren't progressing as well and that can open up all sorts of worries which in turn can hinder recovery.

The biggest thing I've learned from this wonderful site is that we really are all different and whilst we share many things, ultimately we are as individual in our recovery as we are in any other aspect of our lives.

I find that comforting.

I see your op is on the 27th - how are you feeling about it?

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:33 AM

I had an LSH which is the least invasive surgery, I was back to work at a desk job after a week of rest, and my dr cleared me of all restrictions at 2 weeks. I could do whatever I felt up to, if anything hurt I was to stop and try it again in a few days.

At 6 weeks tomorrow I feel better than before surgery, back in all my normal clothes, and back to my pre surgery life 110%

But that is me.

So everyone is different, every Procedure is different and everyone heals differently.

You need to listen to your body and do what is right for you, and follow your doctors instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 08:32 AM

I know what you mean. I think a lot of people don't realize just how much autonomy there is in health care. There are guidelines and recommendations, sure, but each healthcare provider makes their own decisions based on their own personal beliefs and experiences. For my LSH, my GYN told me to take at minimum one week, or if could swing it, to take two. (I'm taking two at this point. I'm on post-op day 5 at this point and have my follow-up one week from today. And I have a very physically demanding job!) Of course it also depends on the person and their medical history and other complications or comorbidities.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM

I think some Drs underestimate or downplay just how their patients are really feeling. They are the ones who say you "shouldn't" be having pain still, and tell you about the woman back at work in a week----no matter how that woman felt. Some Drs do discount womens' reports of pain and fatigue and play down that whole aspect of things. At least IMO. Fortunately my Dr was the opposite and told me to expect 6-8 wks, and we'd discuss going to work earlier if I felt better sooner. I think some Drs just go by "best case scenario" and by how incisions look, rather than take other factors into account, and other Drs are more realistic about a range of experiences. Best wishes you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:36 AM
we are indeed different

I've learned that is more about convenience. Which is understandable if you have commitments that you're "solely" responsible for. I also believe that's why the decision can be emotionally draining.

initially, I was thinking I'd want to get back to work as soon as possible; just because that's the type of person I am...a workaholic. Although, I have a few weeks before my surgery (SAH 10/7/11) after reading some of the other sisters replies.

I'm moving closer to sitting the whole 8 weeks (if not more) out. I want to properly heal emotionally and physically.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:19 AM

What an interesting question. I think one factor can be that doctors, and especially surgeons, are tough themselves--they've had to ignore pain and fatigue to get where they are. I think some of them forget we are still in so much pain despite our also having been tough and heroic to get here.

My sister had several surgeries years ago and it was like the docs would forget all the time that they had just done surgery on her. They'd come in and tell her how it went and give her a clap on the leg they had just operated on, I kid you not. It's like once they had her leg under anesthesia, some of them never stopped thinking of it as no longer being numbed. They'd simply treat her as they would treat a peer, admirable in some circumstances, but at that moment we need TLC and rest and reassurance that this pain is transitory.

You can see how as a doctor this concept might be hard to keep foremost in your mind in the atmosphere of a hospital. Doctors still complain that they don't get enough training on the humanistic side of things.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Hi, I had a vaginal hysterectomy and a very physically demanding job and there is no way I could have gone back at 3 weeks. I still have 2 weeks left and I will have been off 8 weeks. I just think that you need to be extremely careful what you do physically as no one wants to go back for another surgery. I think we all know our bodies better than our doctors do so if my doctor told me 3 and I felt I just could not then I would not return until I felt stronger. Doctors are not god they do not have all the answers and they are NOT all knowing. I have learned through experience when my family doctor told me the excruciating pain in my shoulder and neck was because I pulled a muscle, he said he could send me for an x ray but he is sure it is a pulled muscle so after days of not being able to move from pain I went to the emergency room and they did an x ray and low and behold not a pulled muscle but the cartilage between the bones in my neck/shoulder had worn away. So you see they do not know everything. I have more stories but basically you know your body best and if a doctor ever tells you that he does it is not true. I wish you a speedy and easy recovery.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM

I am guessing there is something behind the 6 week mark. I wish I had a better understanding of what our bodies are doing internally post op.

Have your friend ask her doctor to give her the extra 3 weeks. The Doc might not be aware of the type of job your friend has, and how much work she'll be doing.

I was given 6-8 weeks and I am taking it. No matter what, I am using the time as constructively as possible.

Physically I could have gone back to work last week (one week post op). but emotionally I know I am not ready. work is stressful and I think part of the healing is to be as stress free as possible.

Also... this is cold and flu season and our systems are already down. We don't need to be around all those germs
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM

good point gingerisnot! Also if you get sick right after and start coughing a lot that can tear stitches inside, my doctor told me this before surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register