Scheduled TVH Wondering why instructions are so different? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering why instructions are so different? Wondering why instructions are so different?

Unread 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Re: Wondering why instructions are so different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie123 View Post
good point gingerisnot! Also if you get sick right after and start coughing a lot that can tear stitches inside, my doctor told me this before surgery.
I am here to tell you it is no fun coughing after the surgery.
I had a terrible cough 2 days post op and was hugging my pillow for dear life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Wow! Thank you for all the insightful responses! My friend is out of surgery and ended up with A TVH, which is the same as I'm scheduled for. Now I'm wondering why the changed from an LAVH? She's been in recovery about an hour and she's telling them she's in pain and they still haven't given her anything. She doesn't have a pain pump, which my doc said I would definitely have and I'm so happy about! I asked about her bladder sling and the nurse said she didn't have one, which she did! So far not impressed with her care. I hope mine is better and I'm glad I'm having it done in a bigger hospital!
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Doctors are only gate keepers...

It wouldn't be fair to lay so much at the feet of doctors because they can only guide us; ultimately, it's our decision.

I can't image during post op follow up, the Dr telling me, it's ok when I know it's not OK. I love my job and my love ones but I'm don't benefit either when I'm sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Wondering why instructions are so different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barren View Post
It wouldn't be fair to lay so much at the feet of doctors because they can only guide us; ultimately, it's our decision.
I was happy to discuss surgery options with my doctor. But being he is the trained surgeon not me, I left the ultimate decision in the type of surgery to him.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg1515 View Post
I was happy to discuss surgery options with my doctor. But being he is the trained surgeon not me, I left the ultimate decision in the type of surgery to him.
dpg1515

just so we're clear...

My comment is related to when to return to work not what procedure to have. Which, if you think about...still is your decision.
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:09 PM

This is a great discussion! There are definitely a lot of guidelines out there. I can offer an experience from the other "side". My surgeon said I'd be back up and around in no time. My gyn said the same thing. My post op instructions restricted nothing except sexual intercourse. They also said I shouldn't drive if I was still taking the prescription pain meds. They said I could do anything if I felt okay doing it. They were right! I came home the same day as my surgery and my husband went back to work the next day. I was home alone with our 5 kids. I did great! Within a couple days, I was driving, running errands, cooking, laundry and doing housework. By 4-5 weeks I felt like I had never even had surgery!

Ok...my point is not to brag...LOL I have been told throughout my recovery "Oh you shouldn't be doing that!" "That's wrong!" "You're going to hurt yourself!" I got nervous because I was feeling so good! LOL I asked my surgeon about it and he explained that I had a different procedure than most women have...it was even less invasive than regular lap surgery...so my results were going to be different. He also explained that this is his specialty...he's a gynecological oncologist/surgeon who is also specializing in minimally invasive surgeries. He's able to be more successful in these types pf surgeries because that's all he does. Most gyns or obs are just not as experienced.

So, my bottom line is each case is unique for a whole list of reasons. The patient's mental and physical state before surgery, how they handle pain and recovery mentally and physically...the procedure they had done...the method by which it was done...the surgeon's expertise...the surgeon's personal and professional feelings on recovery and health....and many more..... We should all listen to our doctors AND educate ourselves from other sources...we should all also know and listen to our bodies.

Hugs to all of us!!! We all rock
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM

This IS a great discussion!

I had a TAH, everything removed and clean up from 20+ years of endo damage...I went back to work at 6 weeks and I was really tired. I still have good and bad days...I needed the 6 weeks. I am a quick healer and even though my old pain is gone and I really don't have pain now, I realize how tired I get still. I goto work, come home and check on my sisters, get a bite to eat and go rest!

For as much as we are the same, we are also different...same goes for doctors and their expectations. It is important we listen and know our own bodies and tell the docs everything that is going on...if they do not know, how can they help you!

Best of luck to all my sisters! May you heal well and swiftly!
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Perfectly said parrotcrazy.
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Thank you everyone! I had no idea I'd get so many responses when I started this thread! It's wonderful! Now I'm just trying to be an advocate for my friend. She is getting subpar care at best. I'm so frustrated with them not getting her pain under control. Yes, I realize she just had surgery. But I also realize you heal faster when you're not in pain and when you can get some rest! Neither of which is the case for her. I don't know what else to do to get them to listen. She's miserable and there's just no need for it to be this way when she's still in the hospital!
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM

When I was in the hospital I buzzed the nurse telling her I was in pain and she said she would be right in, well half hour later no nurse. I was crying I was in so much pain, literally sobbing, my roommate(thank heavens for her) walked down the hall to the nurses station and asked why I was waiting half hour for pain meds. My roommate is a nurse herself and she was totally outraged by this especially since there was a nurse sitting right there, not like there was an emergency or something. After that they came regularly to check up on me. Then when it came time to go home they gave us an evaluation to fill out, I was so tired that I did not fill it out but my roommate did. So those of you afraid of having a roommate do not be they can be a godsend.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register