Surgery in 3 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in 3 days Surgery in 3 days

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Surgery in 3 days

I'm looking forward to getting my life back. I haven't been able to work as a teacher full-time due being so sick with heavy bleeding, pain and anaemia. I'm having a Total Laporoscopy, leaving the ovaries if they are functioning.

I am worried about the pain and being able to open my bowels after. I can't have codeine as it gives me painful stomach cramps. When I asked the Gyno she said I could have panadol This is really worrying me as panadol doesn't even shift a headache for me. And with going to the toilet, won't the strain upset the parts that have been cut (incisions)?

I'm also worried about the gas inside the tummy area where the stomach has to be bloated up for the instruments to go in. I have also put on 10 kilos since I've been sick due to lack of energy and wonder when I can do normal exercise?

Thank you to anyone who can answer any of my concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Re: Surgery in 3 days

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

Tell your doc about your concern for the meds she plans to prescribe. There are usually a number of options. My understanding is also that if you are on narcotics, they put you on stool softeners as well. BMs can be painful, but the internal stitches should hold.

Gas is a problem after a hysterectomy. Walking (frequent, short walks) and lots of water helps. Also, many of the sisters swear by Gas-X.

Normal exercise will take a while. Walking will be the primary exercise for some time. Healing will come slowly.

Good luck.
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:34 AM

Hi Marestail,

Thanks for your advice which is very helpful. It's now the night before and I did have a bit of a cry. My husband just says, 'relax' but easy said than done. I don't think he realises the physical and emotional pain of having to have a Hysterectomy.

I'll keep updating on my progress.

Regards,

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM

It is hard for men to understand this. I cried several times before my hysterectomy, and many times after wards. This is MAJOR SURGERY, and is not to be taken lightly. It is an emotionally and physically draining experience. I am still in the recovery process, even after four months.

This site offers much information and support. You may want to join your hysterectomy surgery week recovery group. Here is a link to them:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=455990

You may also see the thread in the New Posts section of the site. The women in this group will be in the same stage of recovery as you are. You can share experiences and ideas. My group was my salvation.

Good luck to you. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register