start exercise routine or not pre op??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

start exercise routine or not pre op??? start exercise routine or not pre op???

Unread 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
start exercise routine or not pre op???

I am scheduled for my lavh on October 3rd. In two weeks. I had a lapo June 27Th and it took me the full 6 weeks to even get over the pain.
I lost weight before my surgery then. Since my surgery I have gaine 14 pounds from no exercise and eating junnk. Here is the thing, I do not regularly exercise then or now. I never was a huge exercises. I was just walking a mile a day. But I cannot exercise in any other way as it makes my stomach pain start bad. And the other thing is that i always have eaten junk. A lot. The thing is I also eat healthy things too, salad at least once a day or vegies that day. And I eat three meals a day, break fast lunch and dinner. And I snack through the day. I did go on some binge eating a few weeks ago and that didn't help, I was emotionally eating tons and tons of cookie dough.
I am on lupron depo and do not know if that has anything to do with my appetite but I have always been a big eater. I for some reason and none stop hungry? Due to pre surgery? Even though I am excited about it? I am stressed about what gonna do with four year old. But I dont know.
But now that I am scheduled I am wanting to try to loose some weight before i gain even more weight. See what I am saying?

I have been in pain still most every day and not even sure I can walk a mile. I am wanting to try.
But am wondering if startin a routine again now would maybe make me prone to getting sick?
I get sick easy and am on two antibiotics now, and today started with cold symptoms. UG> I can't and don't want to reschedule my surgery. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Re: start exercise routine or not pre op???

I would suggest walking as much as you can starting today. Don't push yourself to the point of hurting though. You don't want going into surgery sore from exercise as you will be sore enough from the surgery. As well, start writing down what you eat. It will help you know what you are eating and help you focus on healthy foods. Good luck!

PS. I have lost 45 lbs through walking daily for the last 2 and half years. Don't let anyone tell you that walking isn't an effective form of exercise.
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Danni,
Thanks so much. I don't let any one tell me that becuase right before my lap in june 2011 I lost 10 pounds in two weeks walking. ANd I wasn't dieting with food. I never do hardly. I was walking a mile a day plus running around with my kids help.
I did go for a walk today, It took me a while to get motivated as I haven't walked in a few months. Wow that was hard but felt good when I did it.
Now I can be back on schedule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Yes! Walk an if you can manage it work your abs as much as possible. Really work on your core, this will help you so much.
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Oh my gosh I feel like I am reading a post that I would have made!!! I have pretty much gone through the same thing!! The only difference is that I had a lavh about a week ago!!

I noticed with the lupron I had junk food cravings like crazy! I knew that I wanted to lose weight before my surgery and I wasnt sure how to do it since I have never been into excersice and I have ubber flat feet so walking or running is out of the question for me! I actually stopped eating meat and I have lost lots of weight! It was SO hard at first but now I dont even think about meat. I have noticed that I feel lighter and I crave healthier foods!! Like right now my latest craze is fresh green beans steamed for a snack! Now dont get me wrong I still get those chocolate cravings and so on but it has helped me lose weight and make healthier choices! I was always the one that was the FIRST to order a whopper or a big mac or a big fat steak but I made a decision and dared myself to do it!

One thing that I did do and I bit through the stomach pain was lift light weights to shape up my arms. I am SO SO SO glad that I did it now because getting up off the couch or out of bed I am using my arms instead of my stomach and if I wouldnt have worked out my arms I would have been screwed! It sucked dealing with the stomach pain but I noticed that if I laid down on the floor then lifted the weights...and these were only like 3 pound weights, and if I was feeling brave I would go for the 5 pound weights lol!!...that that helped a little!!

So that is the advice that I can pass onto you!!!
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:21 PM

I also was overweight at one point, over 200 lbs due to an addiction i had to over come and had never been that overwieght. Now cuz of it I have quite a bit of extra Skin and fat still on my tummy.
I am now 142, I was 128 right before my lapo in June 2011. I am just now feeling like I can be active but only very limited. SO now i feel like I have a mountain to climb again as for weight loss. But I did loose all that weight walking and cutting out cookies in the evening. My husband and I rarley get time together becuase he works so much. So usually I am eating becuase I miss him and or eating cookies in evening with him infront of a movie together.
Does any one know the best tummy crunch or sit ups I should do to help slim down my tummy and strengthen it? I don't have weak muscles in it or inside either. i was tested. but I do notice when I walk, I try to jogg, and I think the jiggling off my tummy is what causes the pain becuase there is alot of fat and extra skin there. Please any advice. IF I start with sit ups be better then anything?
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM

After reading your post, I think I will start walking again, I have a torn labrum in my hip and had a cortisone shot, because I don't want that pain on top of hysterectomy pain, my doctor said walking only no eliptical. You have given me inspiration, my op date is Nov, I think I can lose some by then my belly is looking large, so thank you, I have changed my eating habits so hopefully the exercise will help even more.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM

You can walk and diet this weight off.

I am doing both.

I am walking 3-5 miles a day, and burning 400-800 calories a day, depending on my anticipated meals and my energy level.

Yesterday I knew I was going out to eat with my family, so I burned off 825 calories to cover the extra eating I was going to do.

I allot myself about 1300-1400 calories, as I am 5'6" tall, and weigh about 161 or 162. At the time of my hysterectomy, I weighed 188.

I have lost about 26 or 27 pounds. I want to lose 13 more pounds, to get my BMI within the "normal" weight category.

I went to a community information program on Eating Healthy to fight the onset of cancer.... They mentioned postmenopausal women and obesity being one of the risk factors for endometrial cancer. I know that there are other risk factors, but this is one that we can help.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Glad we are all trying to get healthy.
Walking is the only thing I can do but it does help. I have been walking a mile a day, and though in a lot of pain.It is making rest of my body feel better. And my mind and spirit.
Good luck to you all. I am on the count down seven day to my lavh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register