Scheduled SAH Do I want to keep my cervix or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I want to keep my cervix or not? Do I want to keep my cervix or not?

Unread 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Do I want to keep my cervix or not?

I was scheduled for a TVH and a sling (keep both overies). But after joining this site and reading so many other stories, I changed my surgery to a SAH (still keeping both overies). My surgeon asked why and told him I would like to keep my cervix for sexual reasons. He said fine but, the recovery time would be longer and that I would have more pain because of the abdonimal incision. Felt like he was trying to talk me out of keeping the cervix. I scheduled the surgery anyway.

My surgery is in 2 weeks (Oct 4th) and Im realizing Im still on the fence about keeping the cervix. Surgeon said there are no solid facts that the cervix has any impact on sexual pleasure or ogasim. Is this true?

Also, Im now worried about getting a sling after reading a post from someone here that said it ruined her "G Spot"!!

I am 36 yrs old and still enjoy sex very much. Im so scared that it will not be as good after my hysterectomy. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Re: Do I want to keep my cervix or not?

I had a LSH, and made the decision to keep my cervix. I understood that prolapse is less common with the cervix in place, and I was hoping to maintain more normalcy sexually.

My recovery time with the LSH has been pretty quick - I am 4 days post op & I haven't taken a pain med today at all. I cannot talk to you about sexual function yet because that just isn't happening with me right now....

All that being said, my dr knew that if things didn't look right in there, that he had my ok to take the cervix if need be.

This place is a great place for you to learn about the different types of procedures, and my understanding is that its not whether you keep the cervix that alters recovery time, its the type of procedure - laproscopic (like I had) equals shortest recovery; abdominal is the longest recovery and vaginal is in the middle. (I think there is a pun in there somewhere.....)

Keep looking, do your research, and find out what is right for you!

Good luck in your decision!
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM

It is so great to hear from others that are going through the same thing. I value all the imput I can get. Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM

For me, all it took was a simple test: I "jilled off" and really paid attention to where I felt the orgasm. It seemed pretty high up, in my abdomen. Hence, I kept my cervix, and I'm glad I did. Sex is the same as before, which is to say, Boo-yah!
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

My surgery is Oct 27 TVH and its bye bye cervix and do to prior issues regarding my cervix and having HPV I am glad its going away. I can honesty say that I do not care if it does change sex for me; I feel at least for me I have BIGGER fish to fry.

I am also confident in this website and hearing from so many women who have had their cervix removed and it didn't change their sex lives at all. We're all different and ultimately none of us know what our experience will be until we're in the thick of it.

Do your research and do whats best for you. Good luck!
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM

I am in the same boat with you. I had heard cervix is a sexual part for some girls. But Then they say its not a proven fact. I think my cervix is where I orgasm, But I also read something some where that has made a good point to me in regards of hysto changing sex drive.
I read that if you have good sex life before hand then you should be able to maintain it after.
And for me emotionally being where I am with my husband makes sex even better or it wouldn't be. That helps.
But I was told by my gyn it has nothing to do with it cuz I told her I wanted to keep cervix as well for same reason. She does not want to leave it. Especially since I have endo, and have had other cervix issues, I have had hpv that I no longer have but just tons of infections in the past and also pain at my cervix. It also so sensitive it bleeds to the touch at times.
My new gyn who took over the one who said no, I have not spoken with her about it yet. But becuase I have made the decision to go ahead and loose the cervix. Because I don't need periods either cuz that pain puts me in the er half the time and I am on narc most the time due to the severity of my pain.
But now that i saw your post, I am wondering again. ???
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Everyone is different, but I am 7 weeks post op and I did not keep my cervix. Sex is better than ever for me and my DH does not feel anything different with the cuff. Maybe I am lucky, but I was getting really worried about losing the cervix. I have no pain and the Big O is fantastic. Hoping to help someone who is on the fence as I was. If the decision is taken out of your hands because of abnormal paps or cancer, then that's that. If you have to make a decision about removing a healthy body part, that is scary. I made the right decision (so far) for me. Good luck ladies!
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:28 AM

MissStarlett-
I agree with djgrove - if your cervix is healthy then you have a decision to make. If its not, then lose it. And remember, this is coming from someone who is a big fan of their cervix . I know I orgasm there, but I also am completely confident that the cervix isn't necessary for the big O either. Do what you need to do to be healthy - everything else will work itself out!
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM

The way it looks to me is you have a 50/50 shot either way if having sexual issues. I had my cervical removed and have no complaints, but that's me. I had endo so badly that neither my doctor nor myself wanted to risk leaving my cervix in. I lot one ovary due to endo encompassing it and I sure as heck didn't want to loose the other ovary.
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM
what's a sling?

that and a cuff? I've seen both mentioned and wondered what they are.

I'm scheduled for SAH on 10/7/10 so we'll be post op buddies :-)

I'm keep everything except the uterus...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register