Treated myself - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Treated myself Treated myself

Unread 09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Re: Treated myself

Good advice re the blankets - the majority of the treats I bought myself were for when I returned home. For hospital I took in my oldest and worn down pair of slippers and although I had bought a new robe, it was extremely inexpensive and very washable. However... by the time I left hospital 4 days later everything had that dirty feel to it and I didn't want to see my robe or slippers ever again and chucked them in favour of the new ones that I knew were waiting for me at home.

I am enjoying reading all the things you've all bought and it is so important to treat yourself.

And it can be the most inexpensive and little things that give us the most pleasure - one of the things I took into hospital with me was a new cosmetic bag to hold all the things I knew I'd want immediately to hand i.e. lip balm, moisturiser, facial wipes, mirror etc... the pretty colours and cheery design lifted my spirits.

Thinking of everybody and sending all good wishes and 's for smooth surgeries and comfortable recoveries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 09:35 PM

I went on a spree too. Haircut, bought 2xnew PJs, tracksuit, toiletries, higher waisted undies. Didn't buy a pillow, but my 40x40cm soft throw pillow has been my trusty companion, even to hold against my abdomen when i am sitting on the toilet. You will need extra pillows for the bed too.

One of my friends gave me a pile of girlie videos and books for recovery - So cute of her. Magazines are great for a flick, to relieve boredom. In reality, I have watched 3 of 20 videos & read one book in week two. Just wasn't able to concentrate for that long in first week.

House clean? basic tasks done before surgery, too busy with work. Just have to let some things drop down the list of importance at times. Post surgery - out of your control.
Bills/banking? I got this all up to date. That felt good.
Food? I bought up on easy meals, soups, sandwich stuff, fruit, yogurt, juices.

Despite all this preparation and advice, my hubby is no angel. So I understand the frustrations expressed by em675. He decided to stay home with me for the first week post my TAH and started renovations! I wanted comfort, attention, regular food.
best wishes to all with upcoming surgeries.
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM

Barren- I am glad you treated yourself. Prior to surgery (9/22) I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond this awesome blanket, just for me, and a pet pillow, then went and bought some stylish sweats at the mall and several nice looking underwear which I only have one that is working. I suggest anyone with a TAH go get the Yummy Tummy underwear, they are awesome, soft, tummy control and great to sleep in. We got them at Macy's.
Treating yourself is definetaly worth it.

I know you all are coming up on your surgery but any question feel free to write. I actually cam home the next day which my Dr. and I agreed it was the right thing as I was doing well. I was lucky that pain meds worked and do not make me sick.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one treating myself before the big day. I bought a body pillow last week and a few new nightgowns. (I mostly sleep in t-shirts - can't remember the last time I bought a nightgown, but I wanted something nice to wear afterwards.) Going to get my haircut Tuesday morning. And I am putting together a little bag of lip balm, lotion, and hard candies for the hospital stay.
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Shopping too!

I bought a belly bandit, new night gown and robe for the hospital, pillow pet zebra...to match the robe, some pink flannel lined crocs. Starting my list of "must haves". Made an appointment for the hair for 3 days prior, made the mani pedi appt for 2 days prior...Cleaned the horse paddock and working on those hidden dust bunnies hiding around the house.

Its so much easier now that I have shifted my focus from avoidance to a more positive out look.

I bought puzzles for the recovery and some ceramic pieces to paint. I have gotten a chance to do any painting in years!
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Just a little note to send hugs and best wishes to Shelly306. We are both having surgery tomorrow so I want her to know that I am thinking about her as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register