Scheduled TAH Silly thoughts.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silly thoughts.... Silly thoughts....

Unread 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Silly thoughts....

I am about 4 weeks pre op-and I keep thinking of silly questions, Like will I be able to shower without help? How difficult is it to get up and down by myself? I will have help at home when I leave the hospital, but I dont want to be a complete burden. Also I am really nervous about how I will feel when I first wake up from surgery. I am a really big wimp when it comes to pain! Also it seems like all I do is talk about all this with daughter and boyfriend and I can tell they are probably a little tired of this being the main topic. Is all this normal. It really is nice to be able to have a site to come to for support from people who truly understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Re: Silly thoughts....

i'm going through a lot of the same things. i try to talk to my friend about it all, but i get the feeling he's tired of hearing about it. he doesn't say anything in response anymore. i know it's all i talk about. heck, it's all i think about now. same with my son. so, i've been trying to only think about it w/out being verbal for the most part.

one of my co-workers went through it with his wife, so if i have questions, or just need to talk about it, he's been awesome about letting me. he even said i NEED to talk about it in order to face it all. he's my godsend right now.

i also wonder about the shower thing. my tub has high sides & i'm really short (4' 10 1/2). there's no way i can ask my son to help me get into it. and i have no other friends here. especially female friends. so...........i guess i'll have to figure it out on my own. it's not the first time i've done it. wish i had one of those shower chairs though. might make it much easier.

and i worry about the waking up part after surgery, as well. i've not had the best record with that. when i had a knee scope several yrs ago, they had to keep filling me with morphine just so i could wake up. i'd start to, but then pass back out again bc of the pain. i'm hoping this is nothing like that. i didn't have much of a problem at all when i had the myomectomy. i guess all surgeries are different.

if you have people at home to help you - you will do well. they'll be there for you physically as well as emotionally.
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM

First, yes all the questions are completely normal.

I had a DvH, so a different surgery. I could shower without help, but it wiped me out! Up and down I can't help with since I had a different incision. You shouldn't be a complete burden since you'll be pretty drugged the first few days and sleeping most of th time. Waking up I was pretty sore, but they give you drugs pretty quick. (I'm a big wimp with pain too!) My mouth and throat were really, really dry from the intabation (sp) and that bothered me more than the pain from the surgery. They'll give you ice chips,but not water in recovery.

Any time you need to talk about it, just let us know! I annoyed my family and friends with it too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Hang in there! It is different for everyone, but I was also worried about what it'd be like waking up from my surgery. I had a LSH so a little different incision-wise, but when I woke up in recovery I was in absolutely no pain. Ask your doctor or the anesthetist(s) if they'll be giving you pain meds in the OR -- they probably will. I had Fentanyl and Dilaudid, which didn't wear off for about 24 hours so I didn't feel much pain at all during that time. Ask them what they'll allow you to have in recovery -- I was able to have ginger ale, water, and crackers.

What helped me get over being nervous about the whole anesthesia thing was knowing what the procedure was going to be like afterward. So don't be afraid to ask them -- how long they'll keep you in recovery, what machines you'll be hooked up to so it doesn't freak you out when you wake up, whether you'll have an oxygen mask on or not (you probably will), and anything they can possibly thing of to 'warn' you about ahead of time.

Thinking of you!! Hope it goes well!!
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark View Post
I am about 4 weeks pre op-and I keep thinking of silly questions, Like will I be able to shower without help? How difficult is it to get up and down by myself? I will have help at home when I leave the hospital, but I dont want to be a complete burden. Also I am really nervous about how I will feel when I first wake up from surgery. I am a really big wimp when it comes to pain! Also it seems like all I do is talk about all this with daughter and boyfriend and I can tell they are probably a little tired of this being the main topic. Is all this normal. It really is nice to be able to have a site to come to for support from people who truly understand.
I had an abdominal hysterectomy (SAH) six weeks ago. I'd never had any kind of surgery before this, and I too was really nervous and wondering whether I'd be able to deal with the pain as I have a very low pain threshhold. The pain was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting! When I woke up from surgery, they had me on a pain pump and I didn't hesitate to use it. The only real pain I felt in the first 12 hours or so was when I had to slide myself from the gurney onto the hospital bed. Ouch. But I pressed the magic button and the pain went away again.

The worst thing for me in the first week was nausea caused by the pain meds they gave me. As soon as I got home, I stopped taking the percoset and switched to ibuprofen, and it got better.

They will get you out of bed and walking while you're still in the hospital, probably the day after surgery. The first time you get out of bed, it's difficult and it hurts. But each time it gets a little easier. The important thing is to use your arms as much as possible, to push/pull yourself up, instead of using your abdominals. This is true for standing from a sitting position, too, so it's best to sit in a chair with arms if you can.

I waited almost a week to take a shower (because I felt too sick to bother), and I had my mom standing by in case I needed help, but I was fine. You're not supposed to bend for the first couple of weeks, so the only thing I couldn't manage was to shave my legs.

It's good that you'll have help at home. Be very careful about not lifting anything heavy (I was told nothing over 5 lbs. for 2 weeks, then nothing over 10 lbs. until 6 weeks) because you can reopen your incision or pull out internal stitches that way. Mostly the help I needed, after the first few days at home, was with heavy tasks.

Best of luck!
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Silly thoughts....

Hi there I had my TAH on 5 Sept. All your 'silly' questions are just normal processing of 'the unknown' so don't feel silly! I made the mistake of talking to my surgeon preop about those 'silly' questions and he truly looked at me stupefied! Woman are from Mars, men are from Venus type stuff. I was mortified. Hystersisters is a great website for 'silly' questions so you've come to the right place! I got up from bed and shuffled (with nurses assistance) to lazyboy chair 5 hours after surgery, dragging my cath and drainage equipment like the ball and chain it was, with me! It was no big deal. I felt proud to be up and doing it for myself, not completely useless lying in bed. I got up the next day (16 hours postop) and walked with my hubby down the hallway, dragging the foresaid equipment. Hubby kindly offered to hold the massive plastic tub of peepee, what a champ! He's good for something after all lol!! I stayed very upright and didn't slump over as I wanted to make sure i didn't get in the habit of being 'over-protective' of my incision. I had no interest in showering that day but Day 2 (40 hours postop) I showered on my own. By then all
tubes and cath was removed so inwas pretty mobile. It felt so good! But I am a very independent person ... I went home Day 4 and it's been great ever since. I'm 17 days postop and
doing pretty much everything now, driving, eating like a horse!, laundry (as long as family lift the load to where I'm standing), vacuuming slowly with no bending or pushing/straining. Not cooking dinner yet as got the hubby well trained in the kitchen. I just yell instructions and crack the whip from the sofa lol! He loves it (NOT!!) I feel so good the only thing i really wish I could do but can't darn it all, is have SEX!!! 4 weeks to go and counting ... Best wishes for your upcoming op. And do let me know if you've got any more 'silly' questions ... !! xo
Unread 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Hi

I am a teacher/trainer and you just reminded me of one of my favourite phrases I use with my trainees... I had turned my work brain off but I think it is relevant here and have added it to my signature too.

"The only silly question is the one you don't ask!"

Anything we don't know the answer to is a relevant and important question and therefore deserves an answer.

Your worries are real and normal and the most important thing is ...

... Don't stop asking!

Unread 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM

I cant tell you all how wonderful it is to talk to people who have been through this or are going through this. Thank you all for your support!!
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Ms B. You give good advice. I was once told there are 'no silly questions', and asking only enhances your knowledge of the unknown. Every one has their own journey and being armed with as many possible answers as you can, helps. I have asked a zillion 'silly question's and my doctor has answered each and every one. HE smiled when I asked if 'I would be shaved' and he said 'no'. THE relief on my face was overwhelming. (I remember when I had my first child, I was shaved, and the growing back process was a killer). HE said 'I see I have made your day.......lol .
Unread 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Hi..don't worry!! I had my surgery 3 months ago..I had to end up have a really long up and down incision and was in the hospital for 5 days..I had tons of staples too..as soon as I got home I took a shower and did fine..oh..and I climbed 17 stairs to get to the shower and still did fine. I was determined to sleep in my own bed upstairs too..i even had put a chair next to the bed to help me get out of bed, and I never needed it. I have 2 kids, 9 and 11 and tons of pets. I missed them all so much when I was away..I had never been away from my kids before..ever, so I was so glad to be home!! What I have found is, it is all in attitude. I was bound and determined to keep my life as normal as possible..the only thing that I found was different were trips to Wal Mart! They knocked me OUT! I would come home and sleep the rest of the day after that!!! I also had a few days where I guess it was coming off of the Morphine where I ran a fever and had hot and cold spells, but I drank plenty of fluid to try and get it out of my system faster. The no-lifting thing was a royal pain with my little farm, but my son was so great about helping with the lifting and my daughter fed the animals..my husband was amazing too. It will not be as bad as you think and it all goes by so fast.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register