Questions about timeline and surgery day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about timeline and surgery day Questions about timeline and surgery day

Unread 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Questions about timeline and surgery day

To begin with,

Everyone on here seems so supportive and I've already had zillions of questions answered by reading other posts.

My doctor strongly believes I have adenomyosis, and she also suspects that I have endo. She brought up surgery to me last week and sent me home to think on it. Well, after spending HOURS on this amazing site, and reading every book I can find at the library on this topic, I've decided that a hysterectomy is the only route I can take to have any hope of getting rid of this unrelenting, agonizing pain I've been feeling for years. So I called my doctor yesterday and told her I was ready to proceed.

Today, my doctor's office called and said that they have started the ball rolling on the paperwork and will contact me about scheduling surgery. I'm assuming this means they have to get approval from the insurance company first. Does anyone know how long this takes? I hope to plan my surgery for sometime in November (as that works best for my husband's schedule). I have excellent insurance and I called them once and discussed this and they said they do not foresee a problem with approving the surgery, but they'd have to get the diagnostic/procedural codes from my doctor before giving a final answer.

It is highly likely that I won't have any childcare for the date of my surgery, as we haven't lived here long and our families live many states away from us. Is it kosher to just get a ride to the hospital so my husband can stay home with the kids? Can anyone give me some advice as to whether this is a good idea or not? I wouldn't have anyone there with me. I'm quite independent and have always taken good care of myself, but I just want to know if I'll be too out of it to be a good advocate for myself. Advice?

Thank you so much! I feel so alone as I don't know anyone personally who is my age (34) and has gone through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Re: Questions about timeline and surgery day

Hey good luck with your surgery. I don't have kids but check with the hospital they may have a day care area for surgery families. My gym has one - I would think a hospital may.
Unread 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Have you had surgery before? If not I would try and find a way to have your hubby there at least when your surgery is done and you wake up. I'm a very independent wife also but have found out that in marriage a little dependence is good for the soul. LOL! From viewing the post seems like there may be alot going on after surgery. Good luck and God bless you and your family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Thank you for your replies!! I have had surgery before...many times, unfortunately, but at least I am somewhat experienced in that area. I've always had day surgeries, though, and was home that same day. This would be my first major surgery (other than orthopedic day surgeries).

Let me put it this way...I'm NOT looking forward to going through this alone. My husband (who is AMAZING and wonderfully supportive) isn't going to be happy when I tell him that it's best for me to go alone. I know he'll want to be there to support me. But we literally have NO ONE to care for our kids. The surgery will most likely be on a Thursday, and the only people we know will all be working, and again, we don't know anyone well enough to leave our kids with them.

This is causing me so much anxiety. Our hospital does not have childcare for patients' children, so that's out. Augh. So frustrating.
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM

I am sooo sorry to hear it has to be that way. Well it sounds like you have a wonderful husband and I'm sure when you get home he will more than make up for the fact that circumstances wouldn't allow him to be there. I pray that you have a very supportive post-op staff that will help in your stay at the hospt. I also pray that God gives you peace of mind and courage to go it alone. I'm 37 and didn't think at this stage in my life I would be enduring something like this but as woman I think we were built Ford tuff. I have been on this site for a few hours now and am feeling a little more relieved as to what will happen.
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePosy View Post
To begin with,

Everyone on here seems so supportive and I've already had zillions of questions answered by reading other posts.

My doctor strongly believes I have adenomyosis, and she also suspects that I have endo. She brought up surgery to me last week and sent me home to think on it. Well, after spending HOURS on this amazing site, and reading every book I can find at the library on this topic, I've decided that a hysterectomy is the only route I can take to have any hope of getting rid of this unrelenting, agonizing pain I've been feeling for years. So I called my doctor yesterday and told her I was ready to proceed.

Today, my doctor's office called and said that they have started the ball rolling on the paperwork and will contact me about scheduling surgery. I'm assuming this means they have to get approval from the insurance company first. Does anyone know how long this takes? I hope to plan my surgery for sometime in November (as that works best for my husband's schedule). I have excellent insurance and I called them once and discussed this and they said they do not foresee a problem with approving the surgery, but they'd have to get the diagnostic/procedural codes from my doctor before giving a final answer.

It is highly likely that I won't have any childcare for the date of my surgery, as we haven't lived here long and our families live many states away from us. Is it kosher to just get a ride to the hospital so my husband can stay home with the kids? Can anyone give me some advice as to whether this is a good idea or not? I wouldn't have anyone there with me. I'm quite independent and have always taken good care of myself, but I just want to know if I'll be too out of it to be a good advocate for myself. Advice?

Thank you so much! I feel so alone as I don't know anyone personally who is my age (34) and has gone through this.
Hi Posy,
My surgery was first scheduled for September 19, but like you I had to work around my children and my husbands schedule so now I will go in November 7th. A while back I had fibroids removed using laposcopic surgery. My husband was running around trying to get our children straight and was not there for the surgery or when I came out of recovery. It was hard, but I knew he was out getting things taken care of for when I arrived home. It would be so nice to have someone like an neighbor to offer to watch your kids or someone you truly trust. Having your husband their before you go into surgery and afterwards would be so benefical to you. I hope everything goes well for you. Keep the good outlook.
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Hi Posy,
I will be going into the hospital on my own and felt a bit sorry about myself about this.
My surgery supposed to happen last Friday - and after waiting around for 5 hours in my compression stocking being attached to the IV stand I was send home.

I am glad that nobody I knew was with me - during these 5h I went through a whole bunch of emotions and I am better keeping it together without anybody I know well around. I am going back to hopefully have the surgery done next week Friday and since I had a 'test run' I am now totally comfortable of being there by myself.

I have a friend come and visit the next day just to make sure I am well taken care of ( had a bad experience before)

Good Luck!
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Just out of curiosity, are you a military family?

Can he bring the kids up there for a visit after you are out of recovery? I would also check with the hospital. They may have regulations about someone being there in case of an emergency. We are kind of in the same boat so I understand your frustration! Good luck!!
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Have you looked in your area for what is called drop-in childcare? We have a few places here KidsPlayFun and I know of some others in other states like Adventure Kids. It's basically like day camp for kids. I used to use KidsPlayFun years ago and they were really great and my kids LOVED going there.

Good luck!!!
Unread 09-22-2011, 12:06 PM

We are not a military family, so no assistance there.

There is a drop-in daycare here, but I've only heard awful things about it. I researched them, and although they haven't been open that long, they already have a number of complaints filed with the state agency that oversees childcare facilities. So that's out.

I really would like my husband with me, I think. I also spoke to someone today who told me that she believes the hospital will require someone to be there with me. My elderly mother who lives 6+ hours away, offered to drive here the night before surgery and stay until after my surgery is over and my husband comes home from the hospital. She'd be here less than 24 hours, because she has to get home to my dad, who has heart problems and needs a lot of assistance at home. I just cannot allow her to do this....I'd be frantic worrying about her on the road, plus, worrying about my dad being on his own at home with no assistance. She won't get on an airplane, so that's out...plus it would still leave my dad home by himself.

I am going to talk to the nurse at my doctor's office next time she calls and I'll ask her if she has any ideas. We have some neighbors that are great, and their teenagers have been babysitters for our girls many times. But one of them is now away at college, and the other one is in high school and I cannot imagine asking her to miss a day of school to care for my kids.

You've all given good suggestions. I have a few more options I can look into. I'm thinking of going through a nanny-screening service to find a babysitter. If we have one over a few times before my surgery, I might feel comfortable going that route.

I really think that I'm just so anxious about the surgery that I'm stressing out way too much about things!

You are all wonderful! Thanks for your support!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register