Questions about timeline and surgery day - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about timeline and surgery day Questions about timeline and surgery day

Unread 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Re: Questions about timeline and surgery day

I'm totally with you on stressing about everything! I'm actually thinking about putting my surgery off until the first of the year because those kinds of issues. I really hope you can find someone. May be the high school age girl has a fall break or something coming up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

I will check to see if she has a fall break....GREAT idea! Our kids LOVE her and she's wonderful, so that would be ideal. Her mom is also an option, but she just took a new job and would have to take time off, so that's not ideal.

Good idea about putting your surgery off until there's less stress around you.
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:38 PM

I'm a high school teacher. We have childcare classes at my school. Call your local high school or even university or community college preschool teacher courses and ask if they have a class where a teenager might have been trained to work with young children. Teens are often looking for some extra cash and these teachers can help you find someone for a few days around your surgery. If you can find one who is a recent grad and maybe in college nearby, that's your best bet. Reach out to a neighbor whose teenagers might be able to suggest an 18 or 19 year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM

It seems you are super anxious. With surgery in Nov, you still have plently of time to figure it out. Would you want your hubby with you prior or post surgery?
As far as surgery goes, it depends what the pre-op wait time is, I waited for three hours prior to surgery & I had my hubby with me, I think this did wonders to distract & calm me. By the way, i think i am an independant, practical person too.
Then surgery takes time, I had TAH and it was 1.5 hours and recovery time added, before going up to the ward. If you think that you will be ok prior to surgery, you may love to have your hubby visit you that evening. Then he can be relieved, be less anxious and comfort you too.
best wishes, you will figure it out.
Unread 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM

I, like you, had adenomyosis and endo. I'm 35 & had my hyster on Sept 12 this year - TLH & kept nothing but my left ovary. With my hyster being during the school term here, hubby needed to look after the kids. I had had many surgeries before, so I was fine about that side of things.

I initially wanted hubby with me and was disappointed when we couldn't organise that, but it actually turned out to be for the best. I felt a lot less anxious etc. waiting to be admitted and as soon as I was through the admissions paperwork & questions (the system here in Australia seems quite different from the US from what I have read on HS) they got me changed, I saw my gyno and anaesthetist about 5mins later and then about 5mins after that they walked me into surgery. The rest was a blur of people asking me questions and the next thing I knew I was in recovery.

I went through numerous different emotions and just wanted to sleep, so in the end I was actually relieved to be on my own for a bit. I spoke to hubby that night but didn't see him until the next evening. I felt like I needed the time to myself to process everything.

Just my story - everyone is different. Thinking of you!
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Posey... I am sure that things will work out for you. One suggestion is that if you attend church maybe speak with the Pastor or his wife to see if there is someone in the church that does daycare, or would even be able to assist you. I think that it is beneficial to have your hubby there with you prior to surgery and if he needs to leave for an hour or so to check on the kids he could do that and come back so that the doctor can talk to him after your surgery is over and you are in recovery. They can give him a pretty good timeline of how long the surgery and time in the recovery room could be.
Hope this helps.....
Unread 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM

We are not church-goers, so that isn't an option, but thank you for the suggestion. Tonight, we're going to call my mom-in-law and ask if she can come. She's a teacher and would have to take time off (and she gets very few personal days each year) and she'd have to fly here, but she would love to be with my girls and she's one of my dearest friends so I'd love to have her here. It would be my first choice, but the odds are slim of it working out. Fingers crossed!

I expect to hear back today on my exact surgery date, so that'll help plans come together, hopefully. You are all so helpful and supportive. Thank you!

This website is a treasure!!
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM

I am amother of 4 and had my partial hysterectomy on 8-10 due to adenomyosis! I as cheduled for the 5th of july, but they cancelled it, and I had to appeal to my insurance and that took a few weeks, but had to wait for a surgery date with my doc! I understand no childcare! I'd see if you could ask a close friend, co-worker or a family member to help you out. You should have a family member there in case any emergencies were to occur. I am like you quite independent and do not ask for help, but wanted my hubby there. You will be groggy and he or she may need to get information about the surgery afterwards. this is major surgery and you should not be alone! I pray it all works out for you!
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:01 PM

I hope everything works out for you...It would be nice if your mother-in-law could come help out...
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Is there a local church in your area that you can call and tell them your situation and ask if they know of a responsible adult that may be able to help you?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register