Quick planned surgery this Friday!! HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Quick planned surgery this Friday!! HELP Quick planned surgery this Friday!! HELP

Unread 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Quick planned surgery this Friday!! HELP

Hi,

I've had several reoccuring ovarian cysts, heavy bleeding, cramping etc. for serveral yrs. Dr called on Monday lastest ultrasound showed bleeding cyst on left ovary. We discussed my options, didn't really think insurance would approve hysterectomy, surprise they did so dr scheduled it for this friday (23).
I'm trying to get at least 2 weeks of office work done, plus house ready,feel like I'm running around in circles! Had all my pre-op work today.

I have to let him know Friday morning if I want to keep my cervix or not. He had an indepth discussion with me today about pros and cons of it. Still undecided.

What should I take with me to hosptial, he said couple of days stay. I love my pjs will I be able to wear them while in hospital? Not sure if I will feel like fooling with laptop or not any thoughts?
I've been thinking about this surgery for months and now that it's here I'm a nervous wreck.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Re: Quick planned surgery this Friday!! HELP

If Nothing is wrong with your cervix, Keep it. I just had a supracervical Da Vinchi procedure done two weeks ago.
The reason I say keep your cervix:
1. your length of your vagina will not change...if you remove the cervix you will end up with a "cuff" The vagina is uneven the top is shorter than the bottom because your cervix hangs down. if the cervix is removed, the top end and bottom end have to be brought together and sewn up. This will shorten the vagina slightly.
2. The cervix makes mucus and will help with any dryness issues. You may spot but I am okay with this.
3. sexual satisfaction, when I have the big O My uterus , cervix and vagina contracts... by leaving behind the cervix I still have the same kind of O as before...trust me I tested it out!
How will your procedure be done? will it be lapascropic hysterectomy, vaginal, or will an incision be made? I only stayed in the hospital overnight, I didnt bring any pjs just some sweats that I wore to the hospital. I was to tired and out of it to do anything that night in the hospital. I was released from the hospital and my husband took care of me at home for about 4 days and then I started to get around on my own. I didnt even bleed a drop. My surgeon "she" is very skilled and I am very happy so far. Good luck with your decision and god bless.
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM

I hate that you are being rushed into this. I also hate that the Dr is asking you if you want to keep your cervix or not. He's the expert, he should be the one advising you what the best route is for you to take. As far as your pj's...you will have a catheter so you will need to be in the gown...you are not going to be concerned with what you are wearing, you are just going to want to sleep, at least I did. I was vaguely aware of family that dropped in and visited. I was nauscious and once they gave me medication in my IV for that I was out of it for the rest of the night. Best wishes and God Bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM

I doubt I will bring much with me to the hospital. My phone (maybe) and just the clothes I will wear there and home (the same outfit)... I stayed with my husband when he had surgery, I did not want to do anything and I wasn't even the patient. The room TV was all I needed to keep occupied. Of course I never get to watch TV so it was like a treat...
Sorry about anything else to help... I am looking for your kind of info too...
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbkb92 View Post
Hi,

I've had several reoccuring ovarian cysts, heavy bleeding, cramping etc. for serveral yrs. Dr called on Monday lastest ultrasound showed bleeding cyst on left ovary. We discussed my options, didn't really think insurance would approve hysterectomy, surprise they did so dr scheduled it for this friday (23).
I'm trying to get at least 2 weeks of office work done, plus house ready,feel like I'm running around in circles! Had all my pre-op work today.

I have to let him know Friday morning if I want to keep my cervix or not. He had an indepth discussion with me today about pros and cons of it. Still undecided.

What should I take with me to hosptial, he said couple of days stay. I love my pjs will I be able to wear them while in hospital? Not sure if I will feel like fooling with laptop or not any thoughts?
I've been thinking about this surgery for months and now that it's here I'm a nervous wreck.

Thanks!
Don't be nervous. Be ready. Get what you won't be able to do done before, vacuming wash clothes. And get your comfy clothes ready for when you get home. I made some meals ahead of time for me or hubby to throw in the oven. Stock up on snacks and things you know you might need.
When I went to the hospital I took a book, didn't read it at all, my phone, didn't really turn it on, I wore what I was planning on going home in, my favorite lip balm, some hard candy (life savers, jolly ranchers what ever you like, not mints, can't remember why) and Most importantly, Candy for the nurses!! That was all gone by the time I left a little over 24 hours later. The candy for the nurses I kept in a small basket and everyone that came into my room I told them to be sure to get a goodie out of my basket, and how much I appreciated them. They treated me like a queen and took such good care of me!!
I'm 9 months after surgery, and it was the best decision I have ever made. I had them take everything, I don't want to risk future Cervical problems! Ya know.

Oh yeah I had my toes painted really nice, I was looking at them for a few weeks. Also, no matter HOW GOOD you think you feel, don't under any circumstances push a buggy anywhere. You can go and walk around slowly (I liked Wal-mart late at night!! Ha) and have someone else push the buggy. I pushed and paid for days afterwards
!
Good luck and take care of yourself..
imblonde
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:04 PM

tbkb92,

Wow, that is fast. Take a deep breath and first
we are glad you found us. There is lots of information here, start with Checkpoints, near the top of the screen on the left.

Keeping your cervix is a personal decision. I kept mine for t
he shorter recovery time and feel I made the right choice for me. What type of surgery are you having. Mine was laparoscopic so keeping the cervix made a big difference in recovery. If you will be staying a couple days in the hospital, you are probably having an open incision or a TAH/SAH. Have you had a second opinion? Were you given options as to what type of surgery?

As far as pj's go, I'm with Lisa, hospital gowns worked well for me and I didn't have to wash them when I got home . I only stayed one night.

Keep us posted!

Unread 09-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Dr isn't rushing me, we have talked about it for over a year, was just surprised that the insurance finally approved it. Once they did it was like ok we can do this Friday or wait I decided the least time I had to think about the better.

As far as if I can keep the cervix or not, he is just giving me option, doesn't think there will be anything wrong to require it to come out so leaving it up to me, he is leaning toward leaving it unless I want it out.

He is doing incision and said I would spend 1-2 days in hospital. My biggest worry is that because of an ulcer I can't take alot of the pain medication that would be given.

I'm thinking my cell and my stretchy pants are probably all I need. Maybe a pillow for the ride home.

Thanks for all your info!!
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Good Luck!
That is a hard decision.
If my cervix did not have the complex atypical hyperplasia cells on it, I would have wanted to keep mine.
Not sure if I had much choice.
It shortened my vagina, and now I have a little pain if DH and I have sex in other positions than missionary.
I can't really say that that is completely true, either, as I have had granulation healing problems, and an unhealed area may be causing the pain.

I hope all goes well with you!
Hugs
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Don't forget to take something for your lips. I also took my hair brush, toothbrush and toothpaste, and was thrilled that I had them with me.

I wore hospital gowns rather than my own.

I am 5 weeks post op from a TAH and spent 2 nights. The hospital provided everything I needed for showers.

I didn't take book or laptop,even though I considered it, because a post from this smite advised against it.

The only other thing I took to the hospital with me was phazyme (or gas-x). This was very helpful.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register