The waiting is the hardest part | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The waiting is the hardest part The waiting is the hardest part

Unread 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM
The waiting is the hardest part

I'm having a LAVH in Nov and the worst part for me is waiting, I'm good until the day it actually happens, I've been doing sooo much reading and very thankful I found Hystersisters. Family keeps telling me it will be fine but they don't know how I actually feel it is overwhelming. Too much info to absorb. I am very scared I never had surgery before. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Re: The waiting is the hardest part

I hear where you are coming from. I found out 8/5 I needed to decide how I felt about having a hysterectomy, then scheduled it and now I am 3 weeks out. This morning I was coughing and chest was starting to hurt so hoping I am not getting sick. Took benedryl and cough meds. I am waiting a few days before I get worried about a cold coming on. It seems like now it is coming quickly. The worst part has been waiting because all I do is read about it when I come home and it is always in my mind right now. I have had a major surgery 1 other time Spinal fusion 8 hours over 19 years ago. I trust my Dr. completely which helps. Take care and bless everyone waiting and whom is recovering.
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the info I too trust my doctor a lot but the fear of all this is too much, I wish it was sooner because I'm getting my self all worked up. Nov seems too far away.I'm having a my uterus and cervix removed along with a prolapsed bladder repair, bladder suspension fixed, and a rectocele repair and was told a one night stay is sufficient. So you can see my nervous frustration. I'm the typy of person who doesn't sweat it until the day of but this is frightening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Boy you sure are having a lot all at once aren't you. I guess at least it will all be done and you won't have to do it again. I understand the longer you have to wait the more you continue to think about it. I wish I coulld tell you how to keep your mind off of it but I am fine some days but at night I start thinking too, I will be glad when it is my time which is 3 more weeks.

Take care
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:05 PM

Waiting is the worst part and is also hard...I am always nervous prior to surgery regardless of what it is, that I am sure is just a normal thing. I've had several surgeries minor & major in the past.

I found with me prior to my TAH (removed uterus, cervix & both ovaries), the more I read the more nervous & overwhelmed I felt before it, had hundreds of different thoughts etc going through my mind & a lot of what if's too.

I decided to put pen to paper & write down all the thoughts that were playing on my mind...each day I'd take a look at that list work through it best I could bit by bit to find answers & focus on the main things & what I could or could not do about them etc, mind you my Gynae got asked a lot of Q's and then at my Pre-Op I even had Q's for the aneathesist as well...it helped a lot to ease my mind. In the end I decided that the things higher on my list weren't that many. My list basically consisted in the end of (example);

What happens right after & in hospital and how long will I be in hospital?

What do I need to do in order to recover & heal as fast & safely as possible?

What or how can I achieve this with my recovery? What are the average healing times?

It really helped ease my mind in that it gave me something to focus on what to do & expect after the TAH & to make sure that I had the support to acheive my recovery etc...Everyone is different so while a Question list helped me it may not help others, I took it to my Gynae app'ts asked Q's & wrote down answers...

I can only imagine at your concerns not having had surgery before, any questions you have ask them regardless of what they are okay it is your peace of mind...try not to worry about it too much you're in the hands of professionals who aren't going to let anything happen to you. Before each of my surgeries I look on it as I'm going to have a good sleep & wake up in a few hours

I am wishing you all the best best thing with Hyster Sisters is you're never on your own & there is no such thing as a silly question so ask anything you need

HUGS xoxo
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:45 PM

I'll be two weeks post-op tomorrow. Waiting is the hardest part. When I was waiting, it was all I could think about. It was like the whole world disappeared and the upcoming surgery was the only thing that existed. It was tough and emotional and really consuming. People around me were supportive, but they had no idea what an impact it was all having on me.

The surgery itself wasn't bad, and the pain meds kept the majority of the pain away. This morning, I went out with some friends, and tonight, I'm having a little girls night party at my house. I get tired easily, but life has started to return to normal. Yours will, too.

At least you know there are people here who understand exactly what you are going though. Hang in there!
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM

I understand the wait is bad. I kept myself busy with work, but looking back, really put a lot of pressure on myself. For me, the trick was to ensure i understood the surgery and expectations of recovery, then just trust the surgeon. It is hard to submit to the experience and let others be in control. I was anxious, frightened too.

My surgery was TAH with posterior repair. On reflection, the surgery of course, was a breeze, good surgeon and anesthetist and you don't remember a thing. Breathe, trust and sleep.

The recovery is the hard part. Prepare to hurt, move slow, feel vague, be overly tired and have simple tasks feel difficult. Expect to take time to heal, be patient your body will have had a major surgery and it's trying its best to recover.
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Thank you all for the much needed support I will keep myself busy with reading and I think writing things down would help me a lot, you all have made a huge difference on calming my fears, ya there still there but it's comforting to have someone who understands to vent to, Thanks for listening. Cat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register