Anxiety over hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety over hospital stay Anxiety over hospital stay

Unread 09-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Anxiety over hospital stay

My da Vinci is scheduled for 10/5 and I met with my doctor yesterday. I was expecting to go home the same day as my surgery but she said I would spend the night. For some reason this really bothers me. I've always been the one sitting in the uncomfortable chair watching the patient and trying to get some sleep between interruptions. I'm not sure what to expect for that one night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Re: Anxiety over hospital stay

I didn't have a Da Vinci, but I did have a TVH & it's probably a good idea to stay overnight. I was still quite groggy & was pretty nauseous the first night. It was nice to be able to press the buzzer for help when I woke up in the middle of the night not feeling good. Remember, the effects of the anesthesia & pain medication will definitely be with you & they are not fun at first. Remember, they are removing an organ & this is MAJOR surgery, no matter which method they use.

I was super nervous about spending the night also, as the only time I've done it was with the birth of my children, but it turned out to be the best thing for me to stay the night & I was able to go home the next afternoon.

Good luck with your surgery & rest,rest,rest afterwards...
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks. Did you bring your own gown? And when was your catheter removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM

I had davinci almost 4weeks ago. I was only in the hospital about 25 hours. It was fine. I felt pretty good after surgery and probably could've gone home that night, but my doc was in surgery all day and I didn't see him til after 10 pm. He came back in around 5:30 am, checked me and did his part of the discharge and by 9:30 am I was on my way home. My catheter went in after I was asleep and was taken out before I woke up, so I didn't even know I had it. Best of luck to you!
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM

I think you will be fine. I stayed over night in a hopsital when I had my son. And again a few weeks ago with my son who had emergancy surgery. I slept pretty good for being in a hospital.For me I am worried of it too, but I am also thinking that I know myself and will push myself too much at home so an overnight stay for me will be good. But I will mostly miss my little one and my husband. Good luck sweetie
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Not much..you will be ok, I slept most of that aftn. and all evening. I really don't remember alot of that evening. Because of 2 previous abdominal surgeries and scar tissue, I had to stay two nights. The second night I walked most of it to pass the air and get my "sea legs" back..Please don't worry I am in my 6th week and it was the best thing I have ever done.
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hllewis22 View Post
My da Vinci is scheduled for 10/5 and I met with my doctor yesterday. I was expecting to go home the same day as my surgery but she said I would spend the night. For some reason this really bothers me. I've always been the one sitting in the uncomfortable chair watching the patient and trying to get some sleep between interruptions. I'm not sure what to expect for that one night.
I had my da Vinci on 9/6 and my doctor kept me overnight as well. This was my first hospital stay but I must say, my nurses were wonderful and I didn't mind the stay at all. I believe the catheter just depends on the doctor, my doctor had mine in overnight and I had to stay in bed. It wasn't as bad as I thought, after an hour or so I didn't really notice it at all.

Good Luck
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Hi there. I did bring my own gown to the hospital & although the nurse wasn't impressed having to reroute my IV through it after surgery, I'm SOOOOO glad I took it. I was much more comfortable in my own nightgown & I'm generally hot, so I was glad for a lighter nightie... the hospital ones were too heavy for me.

I'd actually forgotten about the catheter, it was taken out the morning after my surgery, but it all depends on your Dr.

Good luck!
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:46 AM

My Dr kept me in 2 nights after my TLH-USO. I wouldn't have been up to going home the same day - too groggy from the anaesthetic and I needed the "help yourself" morphine IV! I didn't have a catheter when I came out of surgery. I bought my own nightie and dressing gown with me - the nurses we fantastic and encouraged me to change into my own clothes because I would be more comfortable. They were right! I slept fine, but I was extremely lucky to have my own room. I'm 12 days post-op and feeling great - best thing I've ever done!

x
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hllewis22 View Post

Our surgeries are scheduled for the same day and for some reason I didn't think I'd need to stay over until recently! I'm quite freaked out about it! I have come to the understanding it's just because I'm a control freak and I will not have control! haha.

I am learning to let go and trying to look at it as a mini vacation... If it helps at all I too will be in a hospital room the same time as you feeling the same way... We can do this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register