Unsure of how I 'feel' about this... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unsure of how I 'feel' about this... Unsure of how I 'feel' about this...

Unread 09-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Unsure of how I 'feel' about this...

I am scheduled for a LAVH on Oct. 4th. I have had problems with excessive bleeding and pain for 4 years. I have been through ultrasounds, endometrial biopsy with a tilted uterus so my cervix had to be clamped (this is actually more painful than it even sounds), blood tests, etc., etc..... Last week my very trusted midwife said I had crossed into medically necessary. I am not upset about this. I am in fact pretty happy...Is that ok? Am I supposed to be upset? Everyone keeps asking me if I am ok with this in that 'we feel so sorry for you' voice. I am finding myself trying to drum up some sad but really, I am so tired of the pain and the Depends that are necessary to leave the house. Is there anybody out there that is feeling the same? Am I just denying the sad? Is there something wrong with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Re: Unsure of how I 'feel' about this...

Many of us have exhausted all other options and are 'happy' to finally do something that will solve our issues, permanently.

I didn't have any sad or upset feelings. I picked the date that would fit into my work schedule the best, made sure that it worked with my family calendar, then requested the date with my ob/gyn. Everything worked out for the date I wanted. I considered it 'meant to be'. I am now 5 weeks post-op and thrilled to have had this surgery.

Best wishes to you. The positive attitude will help you during recovery!
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM

Same here. I am nervous about surgery and recovery time but definitely not "sad". Years and years of pain and surgeries to try alternatives - I am happy for it to be over. Glad to see I'm not the only one ready to do a happy dance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 07:28 AM

I was extremely happy about it - even though everyone around me thought I should be depressed since we were never able to conceive. I actually asked my doctor about it and she was more than happy to send me to a surgeon. I was at the point where my life revolved around my period and I was SO tired of having weeks upon weeks of heavy bleeding. Just being able to plan a weekend away or be able to go to a conferece with work and know that I don't have to have supplied with me "just in case" has been such a relief.

I hear you on the cervical clamping. I had an endometrial biopsy and she had to clamp my cervix to do it. She asked if I wanted her to numb it with lidocaine and I thought "no, that sounds like it would hurt - a shot there!" Haha! Little did I know, right?
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:44 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with us that don't feel sad. When I booked my hyster I was excited and soo relieved and started feeling mentally better then I had in years.
Finally there was a solution and an end in sight to the suffering. I have been severely anemic for the past years due to excessive bleeding, look like I am going to give birth to a turkey anytime soon, developed bladder and gastro issues not to mention the constant fatigue and not being able to function as I should.
So yes, I am totally happy of having this done.

I am still worried about the surgery and recovery but the prospect of getting my life back outweighs all that.

I am 46 and this has brought my quality of life down to an unmanageable level - I am ready and looking forward to live again.
Best wishes.
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I think being happy about it is totally fine!! My coworker had a hysterectomy a few months ago and feels so good that she can't wait for me to have one! LOL!! When you have lived with pain you can't help but be excited to get some relief!! Good luck!!
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks to all of you! I feel so much better. I can celebrate without guilt!!!
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Don't let others dictate how you "should" feel! I am absolutely thrilled to be putting 20 years of issues behind me In fact I told my gf's that we're throwing a goodbye to my uterus party!!! I am THAT HAPPY to be done with all the issues I've dealt with over the years. My surgery date can't come soon enough! I'll celebrate with you!
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Not only am I not sad...I REQUESTED the hysterectomy!

I have HPV and have had HPV, cervix, cyst issues, freeze this off, burn this off, LEEP procedure, I had the center of my cervix "scooped" out to remove pre-cancerous cells, I have had ultrasounds, biopsies, blood tests....I have HAD IT!!!

THEN in 2008 the heavy bleeding and clotting began, this year I was told I was again SEVERLY anemic to the point that I had to have infusions of iron put into my body once a week for 6 weeks because I cant tolerate iron pills or iron liquid. I was told to wear the birth control patch every week (even though tubes were tied in 2005) and do not allow myself a period and some how , some way the periods KEPT On coming but now they come when they want and they leave when they want. This year my OB said she wanted me to do an endometrial ablation - I researched it and found the success rate deployable and refused to have it and told her I wanted a hysterectomy...with a file folder and history as loooooong as mines she agreed. I can not wait for October 27th to get here
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Don't worry BE HAPPY! I too struggled with many of years of pain and went through my share of procedures. I thought something was wrong with me, too, that I wasn't sad, but looking forward to the surgery. I am 42 and 5 weeks post op LAVH. I am thrilled to be starting a new chapter in life! Best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register