2nd Surgery yesterday... Day 2 Estradiol... anyone else take this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2nd Surgery yesterday... Day 2 Estradiol... anyone else take this? 2nd Surgery yesterday... Day 2 Estradiol... anyone else take this?

Unread 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
2nd Surgery yesterday... Day 2 Estradiol... anyone else take this?

Hi! I had a hysterectomy on July 20th. Had my right ovary, cervix, and uterus removed. My OB/GYN wanted to leave the left ovary if possible (so did I!) so I didn't have to take hormones. When she got in to do my hysto she found alot of scar tissue on the left but removed the tissue and left the ovary. I came home having hot flashes, etc. so we both felt the left ovary was just in shock. As the weeks went on after my hysterectomy the pain in my left side increased to an intolerable state. I went in on Monday for my 8 wk ck up and she said she thought it would be best if we went ahead and removed it. She was also concerned that my kidney might be involved but CT Scan showed it was ok.
So now I am on this hormone and don't have a clue about any of them. Need to read up but am so groggy from the pain meds that can't concentrate enough to grasp at this point. Will research more later but if any of you have taken this I would love to hear the good and bad you have had while taking it.
I have no regrets having to have a 2nd surgery because at least I tried to save the ovary. The only thing is when she got in there she found ALOT of scar tissue had already formed on my vaginal cuff. My OB/GYN told my husband that she was shocked how much was already there but gave us a before and after picture so we could see it was all removed. Now that I know it is going to grow that fast for me I'm not moving off the couch until this heals. They have already told me that in a couple/few years I may have to have scar tissue removed again.
I go back to see my OB/GYN next week for a ck up and to discuss the hormone. The only thing I have noticed in two days is that this morning after taking it I felt a bit anxious and kind of short if my husband was talking to me. Not my usual but I also have alot more pain than I did on my first surgery so maybe I'm just tired and cranky and wanting to blame it on the hormone. I'm just scared to death to be on this but trust my doctor's judgement.
Thanks in advance for any advice or help you might have for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Re: 2nd Surgery yesterday... Day 2 Estradiol... anyone else take this?

Hi,
Sorry about your situation, while I haven't had an hysterectomy I am on Estrodial, been on it for many years, it is the estrogen that no bad reports have come out on, the safe estrogen. If I don't take it I'm short and cranky with people, so maybe you are still low from your situation, don't quit it. I take 1mg. But in Norway they prescribe 2mg. What's your dosage?
I wonder why you aren't also on Prometrium, I am on 100mg.

Much good luck! and stay on the couch!
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Hello there. I had a total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago LAVH/BSO so both my ovaries were removed. They stuck the estriadol patch on me the afternoon of my surgery I have not had any problems to report. I feel better now without my ovaries using this patch than I did before surgery. My dose is very low..0.05. I haven't heard negative things about this one either. I also don't know a lot about HRT, I know I don't need progesterone because I don't have a uterus..but that's about it...lol. Good luck to you...oh, one more thing..my Dr and many many other resources say that it DOES NOT increase your risk of breast cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustique View Post
Hi,
Sorry about your situation, while I haven't had an hysterectomy I am on Estrodial, been on it for many years, it is the estrogen that no bad reports have come out on, the safe estrogen. If I don't take it I'm short and cranky with people, so maybe you are still low from your situation, don't quit it. I take 1mg. But in Norway they prescribe 2mg. What's your dosage?
I wonder why you aren't also on Prometrium, I am on 100mg.

Much good luck! and stay on the couch!
Hi Rustique!
Thank you for the information. I just looked and I am taking 1 mg also. I feel much better today but am home alone so no one around to irritate me. ;-) Just kidding.... mood seems much better today. I just think yesterday was a bad day for me just coming home and being in so much pain. I wasn't planning on having that much pain so it kind of took me by surprise. Woke up this morning feeling pretty good and even seemed to have more energy than normal. I cleaned out a couple of closets until the pain started in again so I am resting again now. Hope this is a sign that the left ovary was dragging me down and the hormone is allowing me to get back to my "normal" levels. So what is the Prometrium and why do you take it with the Estradiol? I will try and research this too.
I think my main worries about taking this hormone is heart issues, weight gain and bloating/swelling. I have alot of heart disease in our family and I already have a tendency to bloat/swell. Did you notice weight gain or swelling after you started taking this? I never got to see my OB/GYN after my surgery so I haven't had a chance to discuss this med with her. She just gave my husband the prescription and told him to have me start taking it. I go back next week to see her so I'm sure I will find out more then. It has to be working though because I'm not having hot flashes or crying spells like I did after my hysterectomy. Thank goodness!!!
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnpeace View Post
Hello there. I had a total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago LAVH/BSO so both my ovaries were removed. They stuck the estriadol patch on me the afternoon of my surgery I have not had any problems to report. I feel better now without my ovaries using this patch than I did before surgery. My dose is very low..0.05. I haven't heard negative things about this one either. I also don't know a lot about HRT, I know I don't need progesterone because I don't have a uterus..but that's about it...lol. Good luck to you...oh, one more thing..my Dr and many many other resources say that it DOES NOT increase your risk of breast cancer.
Thank you for responding, luvnpeace!
I wonder what the difference is between the patch and the pill and why the doc would pick one over the other...???? My OB/GYN had actually told me at my appt before my surgery that I would wake up with a patch on but when I asked the recovery room nurse she said I didn't have one on. My husband said she gave him the prescription to pick up on the way home. Of all the side effects/negatives attributed to the estradiol breast cancer is probably the least of my concerns. I don't have any history of any kind of cancer in my family but am very concerned about the heart effects. And..... like every other female I am really concerned about gaining weight on this! I'm just looking forward to moving past all of this and getting on with my life... not just for my sake but my DH's too! He's been wonderful through all of this but I'm sure it's got to be getting old to him by now... I know it is for me!
Good luck on your estradiol and hope you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Hmmmm my Dr said not to worry about the side effects because my dose is so low. I will be asking him again at my 6 week follow-up tho. I also don't know why they chose one over the other (patch vs pill) good question. I am still confused but my Dr seemed very confident with me using this.
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnpeace View Post
Hmmmm my Dr said not to worry about the side effects because my dose is so low. I will be asking him again at my 6 week follow-up tho. I also don't know why they chose one over the other (patch vs pill) good question. I am still confused but my Dr seemed very confident with me using this.
Your doctor is probably right. I am just reading the possible side effects and weight gain, bloating and swelling were listed on my prescription package. I do remember my OB/GYN telling me before surgery that the hormone she would be putting me on had worked great for her patients and she was even on it. She also mentioned starting me out on a low dose and going up later if needed. Now I'm curious how long it will take before you know that this is the correct dosage. It does seem like there are alot of women on here having issues with finding the correct hormone and the correct dosage. I'm so anxious to just get on with my life now that the hysterectomy has been done that I would hate to think that it's going to be a whole new mess of trying to get the hormone straight. I am probably just worrying too much though because I feel pretty good today.
Oh yeah... and I forgot to mention that I get really bad migraines too. Right after my hysterectomy I had a worse time with them but that's when we thought my left ovary was in shock and not working yet. I have yet to have a migraine on these so hopefully the hormones won't play into that situation either. I would pick surgery pain any day over migraine pain. That's even worse than labor pain IMHO!!!!
Unread 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM

I've learned to try not to worry too much ( still learning). Think of what you CAN control. Like, if u notice weight gain u can change things to be more health conscious or change your prescription..but don't worry about it happening because it might not. When is your appointment again? Let me know what your Dr says...I'm curious about the weight gain/heart issues also...and what's the difference in the pill vs the patch.
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:11 PM

I've been on both the patch and pill, from what I understand there really isn't a difference, except you cannot forget to take the patch! I prefer the pill, who knows why. I don't!

There are 2 different estrogens, one causes heart problems (they think, but some doctors disagree, they site the fact that the women who had heart attaks started taking estrogen when they were 65, so their veins were clogged....estrogen cleans your veins....and so, in comes a estrogen roto rooter and wham they get a heart attack....so they advice us to start on hormones when we still have estrogens in us, before we get clogged veins). So, in fact estrogen should keep us from having a heart attack. The second estrogen is estrodial, with no thought it can cause any problems. They quit prescribing the first estrogen.

reizar...."Cleaning out your closets"? bad girl....thought you were going to sit this one out....(: Glad you are feeling better, hopefully the pain doesn't mean anything.

I'm 62 y.o. and weigh 120, 5'6", estrodial hasn't caused me any weight concerns.
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM

lol! Thanks Rustique! Yeah, I know I was "bad". Sadly I have a hard time sitting still. DH will be home soon so he won't be happy either. It was an easy clean though and most of it was spent sitting on the floor organizing shoes,etc. I'm actually doing better staying down this time than I did after the 1st surgery so that tells me there's definitely more pain this time.

I'm glad to hear you didn't have any weight gain. I'm 44 y.o. and 115 lbs/5'4" so if I can hold steady where I'm at I will be happy with that.

Thanks for the explanation on the estrogen too. I'm anti-medicine so anytime I see a list of side effects I start getting concerned because I am so super sensitive to meds. Just hate the thought of taking a med to cure one thing to only start up with another issue caused from the med.

I completely trust my OB/GYN so if this is what she recommends I will definitely be following her instructions. Just want to be educated on what I'm taking though.

Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register