Nearly 6 weeks post up with severe abdominal pain. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nearly 6 weeks post up with severe abdominal pain. Nearly 6 weeks post up with severe abdominal pain.

Unread 09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Nearly 6 weeks post up with severe abdominal pain.

Hi all, I'm just wondering if there is anyone who can shed some light on my current situation. I had a hysterectomy 5 and a half weeks ago due to the presence of a very large fibroid. It was an abdominal hysterectomy with a horizontal incision.

My recovery went well and for about 4 and a half weeks I had minimal pain. Then I suddenly began to develop severe abdominal pain, not only beneath my incision, but much higher in my abdomen reaching to just under my ribs.

I went back to the doctor, who tested temp, urine, blood, blood pressure. He did an internal. Everything was fine! He has booked me in for a scan next week. Someone suggested it could be adhesions, and that they don't show on a ultrasound scan. But im going to the loo fine. Could it be adhesions this early on? The pain is sometimes unbearable. Especially in the evening. And I'm beginning to feel very upset, what if the doctor doesn't find what is causing the pain. I wondered if anyone else has heard of or experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Re: Nearly 6 weeks post up with severe abdominal pain.

Does it hurt when you cough? I felt fine at 5 and 6 weeks post-op and had minimal pain and soreness, but at week 7 was in alot of pain under my incision and lower stomach area was extremely sore and hurt to even cough. I finally had an ultrasound done at 7.5 weeks and it was discovered that I had a hematoma under my incision. A hematoma can cause alot of pain and soreness.
I am happy to hear that your doctor has scheduled a scan for you, it will show more of what may be going on and give your doctor a better idea as well.
I wish you all the best and please let us know how you make out after your scan. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope you feel better soon
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:46 AM

Hi Hannah, yes it hurts when I cough. I do hope its that rather than something more difficult to diagnose or treat. It's just very sad when you think you are out of the water... . Thanks for your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 05:40 AM

I know how you feel, I thought I was out of the water as well after complications early on with infections. At 9 weeks post-op I wonder if I will ever feel normal again
Good luck to you and please let me know how you are doing
Unread 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM

I have just been there and done that! I felt the same way, huge pressure under my rib cage, not constipated, no fever...my doctor put me on really heavy antibiotics...after 6 days I still felt no relief, then one day I had bowel movements one after another all day long, and the next day, DONE! No more pain, I feel great! I know what you mean that it totally gets you down and makes you feel like it is just gonna feel this way forever, but dont give up on feeling "normal". Even if, normal, in my case, is dealing with a 20 inch incision on a 26 inch torso! Best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register