So nervous after pre op with doctor! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So nervous after pre op with doctor! So nervous after pre op with doctor!

Unread 09-22-2011, 09:16 PM
So nervous after pre op with doctor!

I had appt with doctor today to go over everything for surgery which is next Tuesday. I was sitting in office listening to him explain surgery and I felt light headed and dizzy. The reality of it all just hit me and I became very scared. I have been through so many things in my life but for some reason this is really hitting me hard. I am so scared and nervous and I just keep thinking the worst on everything. How can I remain calm and get through these long next few days. I just wish I could go to sleep and wake up on Tuesday. Is this normal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Re: So nervous after pre op with doctor!

Vegas Gal, this is very normal. You are supposed to be scared and nervous. This is major surgery with a removal of an important organ. My head spun too when I found out I needed a TAH BSO. And your mind automatically goes to the worst. That is just being human.

You are doing this for your health. No one would volunteer for this. I know this is hard. I tried to focus on getting things together for my recovery, such as food in the freezer, house cleaning, yard work, and other things I knew I would not be able to do during my recovery.

Take care and good luck. Tuesday will be here before you know it.

Unread 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Its OK. I think what you are feeling is normal. The whole idea of major surgery is scary. I work in the health field and educate/support patients in rehab, but as soon as it was me, undergoing the knife, I was scared.

For me, i think it was the lack of control in the situation, needing to trust in another for the healing/fixing of your own body. I felt like i had a date with the executioner - which is totally unreasonable.

It helped me to have someone with me prior to surgery, the surgery itself was a breeze, you do need to be brave, accept, trust and sleep through it. Recovery is the harder part, read up on what to expect, use your energy to plan for that.
will be thinking of you on tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Take some personal time. I know right now you are prob trying to get all of life in order but it is OK to slow down and take a breather. Watch your favorite movie or take a long hot bath... even have a god cry... sometimes just a good break down in the hot bath will help... just remember that it is OK to be scared and it is OK not to get everything done... Prayer for you...
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:37 AM

Hi Vegas Girl -

I think this is totally normal and exactly what happened to me too. I knew I'd have to have a hysterectomy at an early age (I'm 35, 12 days post-op) because of adenomyosis, heavy bleeding & endo. I was actually to the point of begging my gyno to book me in for a hyster - but the answer was always "No" - not suprising seeing it is MAJOR surgery.

So, when I went for my last checkup my gyno said that basically it was stay-as-things-are (not an option!) or go the hyster. I gladly took him up and booked in for surgery. I was thinking "finally - I've got what I wanted" but about 24hrs after I suddenly felt exactly the way you are feeling. And I couldn't figure it out because I have surgeries before, I have planned for a hyster for years, but when it became real it suddenly all felt really surreal!

About a week before my surgery I suddenly relaxed and was completely ready for it. Weird!

In my presonal experience, what you are feeling is perfectly normal! Not fun, but normal. You're not alone! And it is the best thing I have done - not a single regret!

Best wishes for your surgery & a speedy recovery!

x
Unread 09-23-2011, 05:20 AM

It's normal to be nervous. I have spent the better part of almost the past 2 months being a nervous wreck but I have finally gotten to the point where I have accepted it and am ready to have the surgery and move on to a successful recovery. Try to focus on the positive outcome and hopefully that will put you in a better frame of mind. Good luck to you & best wishes for a successful surgery!!
Unread 09-23-2011, 10:37 PM

I was terribly nervous before my surgery. The night before I took Xanax to calm me down and allow me to grab a few hours of sleep. The day of surgery I was OK, more resigned than anything... and I was SO glad to wake up in recovery and know that it was over!

You might want to ask your doctor to prescribe something for the anxiety. It's a fairly common thing, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Unread 09-24-2011, 02:44 AM

Nerves are completely normal - I just filled in the time cleaning, my home was spotless by the time the surgery day came around - lol. Also, make sure you have everything ready - such as lip balm, hand cream, soap, slippers etc etc. I hope your surgery goes well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register