Anyone else have all this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else have all this Anyone else have all this

Unread 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Anyone else have all this

Hi I'm 51, and having LVAH,along with fixing a cystocele and rectocele. Haven't heard much from other sisters with this. So you can see my concerns. My surgeon is awesome, but I haven't had my pre op visit yet (nov 17), more knowledge is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Re: Anyone else have all this

I'm almost 41 and having the LAVH and fixing a major rectocele on Oct 19th. The rectocele repair is the one I'm freaking out about the most, as I understand that can take a lot longer to heal than the LAVH. I already had the cystocele repair three years ago, which was awesome btw! The cystocele repair was really easy for me... it didn't hurt much at all and fixed my bladder issues immediately. I was really lucky and didn't require a cath afterwords.

For the rectocele repair my GYN advised me to get a foam donut pillow & a sitz bath to use afterwords... I ordered both of those so I can have them here waiting when I get home. He said we're not going to want to sit on our bottoms for awhile without some cushioning. HTH... wish I could tell you more, but since I've only had one out of three so far I can't. I'll definitely let you know how it was after I have it done.
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Yes please let me know, I'm really glad to hear bout the cystocele part that's one fear of mine that's lessoned, buying the donut now is a good idea thought I had my buying needs taken care of, what's another trip to the store. Your suggestions are helpful I wish you well on Oct 19. Did they tell you how long your op is and your hospital stay. My op 5 1/2 hours with a one overnight stay. Never had surgery before so I'm really scared. Thank you it's nice knowing there is someone else to comfort you. Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

I ordered a foam donut off the internet... I just googled "foam donut pillow" and found one that looked comfy. I hate the blow up ones! The nurse said the surgery is supposed to take about 3 hours and I will be in the hospital for only one night... which is great to me, I'd rather recoup at home without being woken up and poked & prodded all night long.

You know it's okay to be scared of surgery... this is a big deal! I've had several different GYN surgeries over the last 20 years and I can honestly say I am grateful for each one of them because they each helped me get better. It's reassuring to know that after the surgery is done, and you get through your recovery period that life will be better! Everyone friend that I have talked to that has gone through these things says it's so worth it... that we will be amazed at how great we feel and how much better we feel. I have faith in that!
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Well I am looking forward to the surgery, as crazy as that sounds I'm not one for restrictions, my family told me I'm not the same so they too our looking forward to all this, I'm normally the all around do it ALL mom. Repairs around house, gardening oh don't get wrong idea my husband is fantastic about doing it all I just love doing it. We recently added an addition and I did the sheet rock, sanding and painting all new rooms built a cabana, so you see my problem my family threatened me with handcuffs on the bed to keep me from doing any thing for quite some time they already carry laundry down for me. I don't want to lose my independence so soon.but some have told me you will feel crappy for a while and not want to do things. Well I guess if I get control over remote I shouldn't sweat it, right. Thanks for listening. Cat
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM

I'm looking forward to it as well! I am ready to feel "normal" again, whatever that is it's been way too long since I felt "normal". I too am the do-it-all mom! I take care of everything... the husband cuts the grass (i'm allergic to grass) and keeps the garage cleaned & organized. He really, really, really stinks at laundry... he tends to dye things red and shrink things that shouldn't be dried. I am really not looking forward to having him take laundry over! It always ends up in a disaster, LOL. I can't carry laundry down right now either because of the no lifting over 5 pounds rule for the rectocele, and I can tell you there is at least 30 pounds of laundry upstairs and it's driving me nuts already pre-surgery! I'm considering throwing it all over the banister and then scooting it to the laundry room, haha! Cat we're beginning to become too similar Although we didn't do an addition, I ripped all three kid bedrooms that are upstairs apart and redesigned their closets... the closets were across one entire wall, now they're not Reframed & drywalled them, ripped out their old carpet, new paint and new flooring comes next week. I was getting ready to start on redoing their bathroom when all this hit... now I have to put it off, or just hire someone. I too will also have a hard time just re cooperating and letting everyone else pick up the slack... but to heal right we're going to have to change our attitudes for a few weeks. It's not the end of the world if the laundry gets ruined, or if the dust bunnies accumulate. Our priority is healing ourselves so we can get back to becoming our better selves!
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Well it sounds like you have young kids mine are 25 girl, 23 boy and 18 yr old boy so they can shop get meds do heavier lifting, pamper me, oh did I say pamper me my kids are awesome and we have so much fun together. I feel really good about all this now after talking with you thanks so much, looks like I'll have a great day take care hope to share with you later Cat
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Yes, I have had this done. TVH with repairs and bladder sling, then 6 weeks later, ABSO with remaining repairs. Long story short, I thought I was doing the smart thing by having the two surgeries, but 2nd went from DvH to Abdominal. Except for a few minor gliches, I did great!

First thing-Forget about housework!!! I was given a 12 week recovery period. According to my DR it takes 12 weeks for the body to heal 80%. This healing is what holds those repairs. I did NOTHING! I was allowed to walk as much as I wanted when I could. This was it-no lifting, bending, stooping, straining. Believe it or not, the house did not fall in on us because it didn't get dusted!

Get a grabber tool. When you feel better, you can pick up anything with it. And you will drop everything you pick up! LOL.

Use stool softners as soon as your DR allowes. You want the "go" to be a smooth as possible, and you can't strain-at all!

I didn't have a dounut pillow, but sure wished I had one! Great idea. A heating pad is a must for the bum area also. Just give yourself periods to cool your skin down.

Also, sleep, rest, nap. Let your body heal. You have this one chance, and it is soooo important! I am now 6 months out from VH, and I feel like a new woman! No more prolapse, and my quality of life has improved 1000 times! Expect some remaining pains, off and on. Nothing really bad, just little aches here and there. I've been told this could last beyond the first year, but believe me, those little aches and pains are nothing compared to what I had before!

One last hint, go to the pre-op forum at the top-there is wonderful info there to help you through every stage of your journey. Do not go to the post-op area! Some of this almost scared me out of having the surgery. Just know that many, many of us have had this surgery, and are doing great! Pay attention to your body, and you will too! Best wishes ladies on your surgeries! This is a wonderful site to help you get through your surgeries!
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for letting me know I hear horror stories related to the rectocele, I've been having more positive thoughts recently and am glad for all the inputs got to love hyster sisters. Thanks Cat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register