Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday? Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday?

Unread 09-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday?

May I introduce myself
didnt know where to write , so thought I would stop by here
I turned 50 a year ago June and from then on it has been one darn thing after the next...
started with heavy bleeding and had an endometrial biopsy and a transvaginal ultrasound, found a 4mm fibroid,whooo hooo. so I was put on Lysteda, which worked for a little while but the pills were huge!!, so looked into a endometrial ablation~~ had that this past April and thought I was in the free and clear,but for the past 2 months have been back to bleeding every day..., this past saterday night doubled over in pain,I clotted out in the morning ,felt better-- went to work monday same thing happened came home and had to take a percoset, went to the obgyn,he did a quick look see , I sat up and flooded out all over(very embarassing) went back to my usual Gyno guy yesterday and he will be doing DaVinci hopefully the end of October... that being said , he said that if I got it done on a thursday,stayed over and went home friday, rested up over the weekend that I could go back to work on monday .. I work as a dental asisstant and I do a lot of running around im hoping that this is true because , we dont have any short term disability, oh well can anyone give me any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Re: Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday?

I honestly do not understand how your doctor can say that you can have surgery on Thursday and back to work on Monday. There is no way I could have done that and I sit at a desk. I would think you need to be off work at least 4 weeks.
Unread 09-23-2011, 05:52 PM

I cannot believe your doctor would say you could go back to work by Monday. No way could I have had gone back to work 4 - 5 days after surgery. They are removing an organ(s) and I really think it is unfair and unrealistic for your doctor to say this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM

I am 43 and I had a supracervical hysterectomy & removal of my fallopian tubes. I am 2 weeks post op. My doctor said 2 weeks but said I could take up to 6 weeks. It depends on the individual. I am in good health, normal weight and if I had to go back to work it wouldn't be after only a weekend. I would take it easy. I just started venturing out, driving, grocery shopping etc this past week. I will start to hurt, mild cramps if I over do it. If you are running around a lot I would stay off work a minimum of 7-10 days. I am lucky and have short term disability and I am taking 4 weeks. You need to recover so that you don't have any complications that will keep you out even longer.
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM

There is no way I could have gone back to work that soon. I spent the first 10 days in bed! Couldn't even sit for the first 4 days, had to eat dinner standing up. I am 9 weeks post op and just went back to work every other day and I'm finding it very difficult. Mind you, I am healing slowly but it is possible that your recovery could be slow too. We don't know how we'll do after this surgery until we're actually doing it.
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM

I had planned on returning back after 4 days, trying to save leave for a family trip we are planning in Feb. After finding this site and reading all the posts, I now have a more realistic plan. I plan a solid two weeks..absolutely no work, no horse chores, etc. Then I hope to slowly work into two weeks of tele work a few hours a day , at home, and then finally ease my way back into the office.

I really did think, "hey Doc says 4-6 wks but heck Im in good shape, I can do it in 4 to 7 days." The Hystersister community has helped educate me otherwise
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Hi sweetie,

I get to thinking sometimes and some of these doctors really do think that women are robots. Hey lets remove this and that and get you going in a day or two. What I would say is that everyone is built differently and while one person can heal quick sometimes another may take a long time to recover. I had a TAH and I began to work in my 8th week. I had a bit of a slow recovery. You need to take it easy after surgery. Don't rush into work and then have a relapse and winde up back in the hospital. After surgery your own body will let you know when you are ready to begin doing things.
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:30 PM

I'm 4 days post op and, while I am doing really well, there is no way I could have gone back to work today...and my work is mainly a desk job. I did 2 loads of laundry today and had to take a nap by 10:30am. Then, I took another nap around 4:30pm. Everyone is different and I read on here someone went backto work after 6 days but I think that's much more the exception than the rule.
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:47 PM

Hi,
I had a LAVH- No way could I do work right now at 5 days post op. And even though da-vinci is supposedly easier- It is in no way a minor surgery. You will need 4-6 weeks off, especially with your job. That is just my opinion mind you. If you go to the post op forum and look for posts by da-vinci people you will see it isn't really all that easy. I know awoman who had a hyst about 2 years ago. She went back to work after three days and she is STILL paying for it with all the complications she experienced. Also, I would consider finding a different dr if mine said that to me. Wishing tou the best-
Merr
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM

I too work a desk job, NO WAY I can go back to work...I had surgery Monday and sitting too long hurts! Ain't no way my doctor would allow that. Listen to your body take the time you need, if you don't your body will definitely remind you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register