Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday? Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday?

Unread 09-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Re: Surgery Thursday, back to work Monday?

Grandmallie -

I agree with the others that this is an aggressive timeline for your recovery. My general view is 2/4 to 6/8 weeks of recovery depending on what type of surgery and what all is being removed. I would prepare my place of work for at least 2/4 weeks off at a minimum. You can always go back early but it is difficult to get time extended if necessary.

Unfortunately you don't know how you'll react to the surgery and there could be complications.

I don't want to be alarmist but just because this was my experience I have to ask with the unusual bleeding has your gyn expressed any thoughts that there might be cancer involved? At 50 I had heavy bleeding with a regular period and my gyn was going to do a routine D&C. He unexpectedly found cancer and I ended up with a hysterectomy a few weeks later. I just don't want you to experience a partial staging if the evil, sneaky "C" beast is there.

Anyway, I would go for more time especially because you are on your feet so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmallie View Post
May I introduce myself
didnt know where to write , so thought I would stop by here
I turned 50 a year ago June and from then on it has been one darn thing after the next...
started with heavy bleeding and had an endometrial biopsy and a transvaginal ultrasound, found a 4mm fibroid,whooo hooo. so I was put on Lysteda, which worked for a little while but the pills were huge!!, so looked into a endometrial ablation~~ had that this past April and thought I was in the free and clear,but for the past 2 months have been back to bleeding every day..., this past saterday night doubled over in pain,I clotted out in the morning ,felt better-- went to work monday same thing happened came home and had to take a percoset, went to the obgyn,he did a quick look see , I sat up and flooded out all over(very embarassing) went back to my usual Gyno guy yesterday and he will be doing DaVinci hopefully the end of October... that being said , he said that if I got it done on a thursday,stayed over and went home friday, rested up over the weekend that I could go back to work on monday .. I work as a dental asisstant and I do a lot of running around im hoping that this is true because , we dont have any short term disability, oh well can anyone give me any advice?
He is crazy. Tell him that you will not be going back to work on Monday. I assume you mean that you will be having a davinci TAH. Yes, it is not as invasive as other methods, and you do get back to work a bit faster, but it depends on so many factors.

Healing, rest, what job you do, how you feel etc.
I went back to work at 3 1/2 weeks w the daVinci TAH, but I went back to work for only 4 hours a day, 4 days a week.
I am a teacher, so I got to sit down half of the time, and my students are adults so they were very helpful.

In a perfect world, I would have stayed home 5 or 6 weeks.
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:07 PM

I had a LAVH in April, before surgery there is no way to know exactly how long your recovery will take. I was in bed for the first week then only made it to my recliner then. I had my first post op at 2 weeks and my doc extended that another week. I just in the past week have started feeling normal again and that is at the 5 month mark. I hope you recover quickly but I would plan on at least 2 weeks off. Take things slow do not push yourself, listen to your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2011, 02:40 AM

I had LAVH and in NZ, the time for recovery from this is six weeks plus. I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than a jug for this time, no driving, no house chores etc etc. I ended up being off work for 9 1/2 weeks due to complications etc. Please take care and don't overdo things. Good luck with your recovery.
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:38 AM

I had davinci 4 weeks ago. My recovery has been really smooth and pretty much textbook. I don't have a super demanding job (social work) and there is NO way I'd even attempt to go back that soon. I had hoped to return part time last week and still am not ready. I MAY return part time next week, MAYBE. The few outings and appts I've gone on exhaust me quick. Even when I feel good, 3 hours is about my limit, then I need to lay on the sofa and rest. Best wishes to you!
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:40 AM

Hey Grandmallie-

I was in your age range when I had my dvh...my doc said he tells his patients to take 2 weeks off post-op; one week to recover and one week for a vacation! My doc was very accurate w his estimation - I went back to work after 9 days, could've gone back sooner BUT I was going back to a desk job. I'm concerned for you because you're going back to a much more physically demanding job. I was really tired at the end of the day that first week back...I would come straight home from work and hunker down on the sofa that first week back. My other concern for you is that timeline doesn't seem to include any time for a post-op checkup w your doc before returning to work which is crucial for him to deem you fit to return to work. I would think that a Thursday surgery w return to work on the Monday that's over one week later would be very possible, but would be concerned about going to work the Monday just 4 days later, especially w the physical nature of your job. I would suggest you try to take off that extra week to recover.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Di
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:15 AM

WOW, boy this is a real wake up call huh?
I am starting to freak out a bit now, because I dont know how in heck we will be able to afford for me to be out of work that long...
thanks for all the support and my husband says he is going to trade me in for a newer model !!!!!
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Hey Grandmallie-

I know you'd hate to postpone your surgery, but is there anyway you could reschedule to some time in Nov or Dec when some of your recovery time could be lumped into the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday, when the dental office would be closed anyway? Maybe that would help w/ the financial considerations. Part of my recovery was over the July 4th holiday, so that helped me out.

And you tell that hubby he's gonna like you so much after your "upgrade" that he'd never consider getting a newer model!!

Take care-
Di
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I am starting to freak out a bit now, because I don't know how in heck we will be able to afford for me to be out of work that long...
thanks for all the support and my husband says he is going to trade me in for a newer model !!!!!
Remember that you are the most important person right now.
If your DH needed surgery for cancer of the prostate (which may be a much easier surgery, I don't know) would you tell him he HAD to go back to work within 4 days so that you could pay the bills? Is he not more important than a mere "bill??" What if he had a difficult recovery, or a post operative infection, or a clot in one of his legs?

What if he had to stand on his feet all day, and run around and he started bleeding because he had not healed properly from his operation?? Would you tell him that you might have to "trade him in for a newer model?" I know he was just kidding, but think about it.

You have to stand on your feet quite a bit. I did not. I stood up and taught only 40-50% of the time. I sat in a chair most of the time.
Also, I was not allowed to lift anything more than 5 pounds for a couple of months. That is a small to medium sized frying pan.
You should weigh you purse, make sure it is less than the 5 pounds.
I would not go back to work for at least 3 weeks, and then negotiate half (1/2) days for at least the first week.

I was gone 3 1/2 weeks because I went back to work on a Wednesday. This way, the first week I only worked on Wednesday and Thursday. I began my class at 8:00 AM and then I went home at 12:00 PM. Luckily, these are my normal hours. I pretty much was so tired that I came home and put my feet up to rest for the rest of the day, until DH came home.

This continued for about 3 months, until I felt better.
Now I am back to normal, but still are not fully healed.
To be fully healed can take about a year.

I realize that I am lucky. We only counted on my income in the early years of our marriage. I am 55 and semi-retired, so I work part-time. My part-time job pays more than some full-time jobs. We are very frugal, LOL.

You only have one chance to heal. Take care of yourself.
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I am starting to freak out a bit now, because I dont know how in heck we will be able to afford for me to be out of work that long...
Maybe you should trade in your doctor AND your husband LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register