Belly Bands | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Belly Bands

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to get prepared for my surgery which will probably be the second or third week in October. I was looking online at belly bands and I have no idea which one to order. I'll be doing SAH with a vertical incision. It may even go north of my belly button because of the size of my uterus. I won't know for sure until I'm out of surgery. Anyway, long story short, I'd like to take a poll on belly bands. I figure it'd be helpful for all of the ladies that are preparing for the big day.

Which one(s) did you try?
What did you like and hate about it?
What type of surgery did you have?
How do you know what size to order? Before surgery measurements? After with swelling? Hips/Waist?
Did you prefer undies with control in them?
Anything else we should know in advance?

Thanks for being there! I'd be lost without this site!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Re: Belly Bands

Hi Meghan!

I suggest asking your doctor if using this type of product is advisable in your case. The reason, based on my own experience, is:

I had a horizontal incision with my TAH/BSO in 2003 and a vertical incision (from pubic bone to above the navel) in 2007 for my colon cancer sugery and in neither case did any medical personnel advise me to use a belly band. In fact, the colon-rectal rectal surgeon told me, that to promote better healing, to "Try to keep the incision area uncovered as much as possible."

Certainly every surgical case is unique so your needs may be different.

Best wishes,
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Re: Belly Bands

Hope I can be of some assistance!

I had an LSH on 9/14. I had an abdominal binder put on immediately post-op in the OR -- my hospital does that for all abdominal-type surgeries, not just hystos. I loved it, the pressure is very helpful post-op not just for regular post-op pain control but also helped with gas pains. I still wear it most of the time now, even if I'm not in pain, because just having it there is a helpful reminder that I'm supposed to be taking it easy. The only thing I didn't like about it at first was that it was hard to refasten -- it would usually take two nurses in the hospital to re-do it, but now with some practice I can do it on my own. I definitely do NOT prefer control-top panties -- I tried them, and they're alright, but I'd much prefer my abd binder.

I was also concerned about whether wearing it would impede the healing of my wounds (of course I don't have one long incision, just the three stab wounds) so I asked my GYN and he said that the binder shouldn't make a difference; usually when they say 'leave uncovered' they mean bandage dressing-wise.

But, check with your doctor to see what they suggest and what they prefer. Every one is different!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register