Last period...why am I sad about this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last period...why am I sad about this? Last period...why am I sad about this?

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Last period...why am I sad about this?

I'm about to get my last period ever. My surgery is likely going to be 10/24. My periods have been miserable for ages. I get bowel issues, horrific back pain, so much blood that I think I need a transfusion, etc. Lovely, huh?

Anyway, this morning when I woke up to crippling cramps, I told my husband how I felt and he reminded me that this would probably be my last period ever. I must be going crazy because that made me really sad.

I HATE getting my period, and my uterus has never worked very well to begin with...so why am I sad? Does anyone else feel this way?

Don't get me wrong...it's going to be great to get to walk past that tampon aisle and ignore it completely, and it's going to be WONDERFUL to not have to call my husband to come home from work because I'm so crippled by cramps that I can barely move. And I cannot wait to get this surgery over with and get rid of the pain.

But I still feel some odd sense of sadness. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Re: Last period...why am I sad about this?

I'm not as bad off as you but I am on mine now and I'm thinking how nice it will be to not have to deal with that ever again. It hasnt made me sad or depressed at all!!! But I have to admit I did break down last night but it wasnt because of losing my plumbing, just scared of the surgery and being off work for so long. Dont be depressed but do cry to let it out!!! I am these next few days!! lol You will be in my prayers too.
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:30 AM

I think anything that is going to be taken away from us permanently can leave us feeling sad, uneasy, insecure and perhaps a little frightened of what it will be like in the 'new world'.

There is comfort in familiarity and insecurity from the unknown even if what we have known has caused us trauma.

Your mind will be a whirlwind of thoughts and questions right now, my advice to you is to accept how you feel and acknowledge your sadness without too much analysis. Your emotions will fluctuate and you may find this happens again pre or post surgery. I deal with my down days by just accepting that 'today I feel rubbish - fact' and I try not to worry about why I'm feeling a particular way.

Be kind to yourself, listen to your body and play along with your mind.

Thinking of you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Ms. B! That's exactly how I'm feeling....sad, uneasy, insecure, frightened. You hit the nail on the head.

I just took my kids to the library and was doubled-over in an aisle breathing through some awful, labor-like cramps. Ugh...puts things in perspective and makes me realize that I'm doing the right thing.

Thank you, ladies, for your understanding.
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Hi, I guess we all have different feelings about this, I already had my surgery and I am thrilled not to have to deal with periods anymore. I am actually ecstatic. I would have had my period this week and I say YIPPPEEE for no more.
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:23 PM

I definatelly have had ups and downs. I broke down again today. Mrs B. hit the nail on the head... Even though we are in pain and uncomfortable, we feel a lose because we really aren tin control anymore of all of this AND we are giving up control. Im' crying with you!!
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks, Nell Ann. You're totally right. I'm not going to miss my periods...in fact, I'll be joyful to not have them. But I still mourn and feel a sense of loss over this whole ordeal.
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM

I hear ya!! I feel al loss too...I cant imagine how women feel when they miscarry. This is horrible in itself!!
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM

It's pretty normal to have these thoughts...happy and sad. I suffered for so many years w/endo and the pain my periods brought, but there is some familiarity in it all...you know what to expect and you know how to handle it.

With this surgery comes new feelings. There are ups and downs, but my experience has been better than the bleeding and the pain I used to have...and passing the pads and the tampons in stores is NOT a bad deal!

Good luck on your surgeries! Hoping yours is successful and your healing is rapid!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register