What do you wear? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you wear? What do you wear?

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:12 AM
What do you wear?

Hi , six weeks to go and I have several thousand questions (or it feels like it anyway); ranging from what may seem very trivial to what are much more serious. Somehow the "trivial" seeming ones end up being on my mind more.

One thing I wonder is after the surgery what do you end up wearing that night?

my surgery is going to be in the afternoon

do you stay in the surgery gown or get changed?

if you are too out of it and unable to get up, what happens?

do I need a nightie/nightgown or are pyjamas ok?

what about for the rest of the time; i've seen comments on what people wear when they return home, but what about in hospital where you are continually being examined?

thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Re: What do you wear?

I stayed in my hospital gown the whole time I didnt bring anything else and they come and check you a bunch of times so a gown is the easiest
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Same here . . . usually when you're in the hospital (for any reason) they have you stay in a gown so it's easier to do the frequent assessments they will be doing. After I got my catheter out I was able to wear underwear (the mesh ones they provided, with a pad as I was having some bleeding). I brought a sports bra to wear if it got too uncomfortable being bra-less but ended up not wearing it. For your feet, they may have you wearing the knee-high or thigh-high compression stockings and grippy socks over that, or else you can probably bring your own slippers if you want as long as they have rubber soles.

If you are too out of it and unable to get up, they will help you wash up and change gowns if needed. When I was there, they offered clean gowns every morning and every night.

Once you get home, it really depends on you as to whether you wear a night gown or pajamas. Personally, I wore pajama pants with no problem, but I've read a lot of people here saying that they preferred a gown for comfort.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 09:28 AM

I wore sweat pants and a tee shirt on the morning of my surgery, Then in pre op they have you change into a gown and get all prepped... I must say I was alittle surprised when my male nurse had to shave all my hair below, didnt expect that or really see the need for it LOL any ways once out of surgery I stayed in a gown for the first two days as I wasnt much in the mood for a shower and walking around, cath came out the next morning though, so I had to get up to use the loo.. By my third day I was ready for a shower, then I put on my own pjs and slippers it was way more comfy...

Once home I just wore pjs for the first 2wks didnt want anything on my stomach..

i hope this helps
Hugs and prayers to you
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM

TangoRomeo - I am in the twin cities too....what hospital did you have your surgery at? I'm working on my 2nd and 3rd opinions right now.

Thanks!
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM

I live in MN too. I'm not in the cities but I'm having my surgery in St. Louis Park at Meadowbrook. I'd be interested to hear where you ladies are or have had yours done.
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:19 AM

I don't think we're supposed to give hospital names on here -- I'll PM both of you! I'm actually just outside of the cities in western WI so didn't have mine in the cities . . . check your Inboxes shortly!
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Stay in hospital gown the whole time, easier for patient care. Wear loose fitting clothing and get a pair of cotton larger fitting underwear. Whatever you wear to the hospital will be snug the day you are discharged. I wore a sundress it worked out great. Good Luck!
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:14 PM

As others have said, I wore my hospital gown and the mesh panties they provide the whole time I was in the hospital. I brought a loose fitting sundress (and slip on sandals) to wear home, which was perfect.

I pretty much lived in a couple of sundresses and a loose skirt (when I wasn't in my PJs) for the first few weeks I was home. Couldn't even wear sweat pants until about week four because the elastic waistband bothered me. Drawstring pants are better than elastic waists, but I didn't have any that weren't pajama bottoms.

Also, it's a good idea to buy some basic cottton "granny panties" a couple sizes larger than your normal size, to wear at home while you're recovering. You may be too swollen to feel comfortable in your usual underwear.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Hi. I agree with the others. They keep you in a hospital gown because it has snaps at the shoulders and they can slide your IV arm in and out when they need to. They usually have you in white thigh high compression stockings and in my hospital they putlittle booty socks on me that had traction soles. I didn't have any bleeding but they had fishnet type panties there for a pad to go in if I needed them.
They get you up and walking almost within hours and at that point you honestly don't care what you look like. When I went home I had a pretty mumu and ended up wearing mostly that and it's twin for a few weeks. Your tummy gets swollen for a week or so.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register