Scheduled SAH How are you planning to take care of your incision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are you planning to take care of your incision? How are you planning to take care of your incision?

Unread 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM
How are you planning to take care of your incision?

is there anything I can (should) buy to ensure properly healing?

what about techniques. what are you planning to do, or doing, did?

I'm concerned about TWO things...

the incision and gas pains, everything else appears manageable.

Seriously, why is there gas pain?

From what I've read it (gas pain) seems inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Re: How are you planning to take care of your incision?

There are two main reasons for gas pain -- first, if your surgery is laparoscopic, they will be inflating your abdominal cavity with CO2 so the surgeon can better visualize your internal structures. They will let out as much air as they can afterward, but cannot get it all and inevitably it will have to go somewhere before being reabsorbed by your body.

The other reason is because when you are under general anesthetic, all movement in your intestines and colon will stop. Usually we have what is called 'peristalsis', wave-like contractions working to keep everything moving, but that is halted during surgery and can take some time to get going again afterward. During that time, air and waste get trapped in the intestines and can cause pain as your body tries to get things moving smoothly again. This is why you will be continually asked if you are passing gas after you wake up, because that is a sign that peristalsis is returning to normal. And even after that, it can still take a few days or so to be moving normally again.

Hope this helps! Best wishes!! I know it's different for everyone, but for me, the gas pain really wasn't that bad. I drank LOTS and lots of water and walked as much as I could. If it becomes a problem for you, ask the nurses for advice on how to handle it -- I'm sure they have some great suggestions!
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks Tango,

That clears up a lot. Reading about everyone's gas pain scares me. It's almost like, one can hand the "pain" of the hysterectomy, i.e. with medication but it seems you just have to go through it with the pain from gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barren View Post
Thanks Tango,

That clears up a lot. Reading about everyone's gas pain scares me. It's almost like, one can hand the "pain" of the hysterectomy, i.e. with medication but it seems you just have to go through it with the pain from gas.
I did have some gas pain with my TAH but nothing bad, just my bowel starting to wake up again after surgery. I was gurgling and passing gas day after my surgery, BM on day 3 and bowel settled into it's 'every 24 hours at precisely 8am!' routine from then on.

I agree wholeheartedly with Tango, drink LOTS of water. I couldn't get enough I was so parched after the GA. But it helps rid all the meds/toxins from your body and gets the bladder and bowel functioning after their shock. Best of luck xo
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Oh and as far as your incision goes, it all depends on your doctors suturing technique. I had heaps of internal stitches on my 5" Horizontal incision and steristrips (9 of them) running vertically. Then I has it covered with waterproof dressing which I was told to keep on for 2 weeks to keep site clean
and dry. At 2 wks I removed that and am now to keep steristrips on for up to 2 further weeks at which time I can remove them. My wound looks good, no weeping, just dried blood around the steristrips which hasn't washed off in the shower. I do feel more 'exposed' now that the dressing is off so have invested in an abdominal binder which is really supportive, particularly if I'm out and about, I feel less vulnerable wearing it. I've picked off the outer 2 steris as they were flapping a bit annoyingly. 2 down, 7 to go!

Also, if u don't already have one (or 2 would be even better!) I have loved using my flexible gel ice pack tucked inside the binder. It takes an hour or two to freeze and I leave it on for 15-20 mins which gives great relief if I've been a bit busy and get the swelly belly!
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:13 PM

I think the incision care will depend a lot on your surgeon and their typical method of closing an incision. I got very specific instructions from both my surgeon and the nurses when I left the hospital.

I had a TAH (4" incision) and my surgeon did lots of internal stitches and then closed the surface with steri-strips. That was covered with a bandage but when she went to check my incision my 2nd day in the hospital I was getting blisters from the tape holding the bandage so off that came. She was pretty annoyed with my sensitive skin, but didn't want any additional chance of infection with blisters so I we left me with just the steri-strips. The only thing she had me do prior to steri-strip removal at 10 days was to clean a small area that looked pink with peroxide.

After the steri-strips came off she had me keep things clean with peroxide 2 times per day and once everything was really closed, rub with vitamin E. Now she has me using mederma to help the scar heal and stay as smooth as possible. I must say I am thrilled with the job she did - my scar looks surprisingly good.

Good luck! Waiting is much harder than anything!
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal68 View Post
Oh and as far as your incision goes, it all depends on your doctors suturing technique. I had heaps of internal stitches on my 5" Horizontal incision and steristrips (9 of them) running vertically. Then I has it covered with waterproof dressing which I was told to keep on for 2 weeks to keep site clean
and dry. At 2 wks I removed that and am now to keep steristrips on for up to 2 further weeks at which time I can remove them. My wound looks good, no weeping, just dried blood around the steristrips which hasn't washed off in the shower. I do feel more 'exposed' now that the dressing is off so have invested in an abdominal binder which is really supportive, particularly if I'm out and about, I feel less vulnerable wearing it. I've picked off the outer 2 steris as they were flapping a bit annoyingly. 2 down, 7 to go!

Also, if u don't already have one (or 2 would be even better!) I have loved using my flexible gel ice pack tucked inside the binder. It takes an hour or two to freeze and I leave it on for 15-20 mins which gives great relief if I've been a bit busy and get the swelly belly!
I asked my doctor 5 million questions but forgot to ask how she would be closing me up, lol. Considering it will be abdominal surgery, i just figured the incision to be major.

are there internal sutures, staples and steristrips? how did the process work for you. what's the purpose of staples?

**touches belly**
now, imagines stapes in belly

honestly, above all, I'm most afraid of the incision. Like, I've read about everyone using binders and heating, cooling pads, etc. But I think I'll fear putting anything on or around it...

heck, I might not even touch it, LOL
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Lol! Yeah inwas scared of what it would look like too but in the hospital when a nurse was changing the dressing in day 2 she was making so much positive murmurings about the beauty of the wound (as only nurses can do!) and she said 'oh wow look at how lovely this looks, honestly check it out' so I peeked through my fingers at it (as only the squeamish can do!) and it looked ... well, fine. No big deal. But I haven't 'touched' it yet, just gawked! I was anticipating staples but am really pleased it's just steris.
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM

I had a 7 inch incision that was closed with internal stitches, glue and 16 staples. The staples were removed on day 5 post op in the surgeons office and replaced with steri-strips to to cover the whole incision. The steri-strips were removed at my 2 week post op follow up appointment. At almost 7 weeks post op it is healing pretty well - still a little lumpy in some places and still pretty pink, but otherwise i don't really think too much about it.
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetM View Post
I had a 7 inch incision that was closed with internal stitches, glue and 16 staples. The staples were removed on day 5 post op in the surgeons office and replaced with steri-strips to to cover the whole incision. The steri-strips were removed at my 2 week post op follow up appointment. At almost 7 weeks post op it is healing pretty well - still a little lumpy in some places and still pretty pink, but otherwise i don't really think too much about it.
Janet,

Glue? what's that about?

additionally, after the surgery, how comfortable where you making the trip to the surgeon's office? Did you drive or someone drove you. My doctor's office is a great distance. Also, are you applying anything to your incision, or are you letting nature take its course?

does it ever bother you, what about itching?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register