Scheduled SAH How are you planning to take care of your incision? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are you planning to take care of your incision? How are you planning to take care of your incision?

Unread 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Re: How are you planning to take care of your incision?

There is surgical glue that is used to help close the incision. I didn't drive for the first two weeks so my daughter drove me to my appointments even though the doctors are only a short drive. I am letting nature take its course with regard to healing. I wasn't wearing a bikini before surgery so it really doesn't matter to me all that much. The relief from not bleeding all the time is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM

My insiscion has no visible stitching, it was surgical crazy glue. I am 16 days post op (TAH) and it looks very tidy. I only needed to clean with soap and water in the shower, and keep it dry afterwards. I wear granny underwear, with the elastic way above the bikini line insiscion.
When I was in the hospital the nurses made me Gyne-tea to help with the abdominal gas. Use 1ml of peppermint extract (from a pharmacy) and a tablespoon of honey in hot water. Also, they encouraged me to walk when I was able and drink lots of ice water!! I also ate about 3-5 fresh plums a day to make the BM easier. Good luck at the castle!!
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashelo View Post
My insiscion has no visible stitching, it was surgical crazy glue. I am 16 days post op (TAH) and it looks very tidy. I only needed to clean with soap and water in the shower, and keep it dry afterwards. I wear granny underwear, with the elastic way above the bikini line insiscion.
When I was in the hospital the nurses made me Gyne-tea to help with the abdominal gas. Use 1ml of peppermint extract (from a pharmacy) and a tablespoon of honey in hot water. Also, they encouraged me to walk when I was able and drink lots of ice water!! I also ate about 3-5 fresh plums a day to make the BM easier. Good luck at the castle!!
fashelo,

two questions...

regarding keeping the incision dry after a shower, did you let it air dry? I'm wondering after leaving the "castle", are you suppose to keep the incision covered or is it ok to let it have air?

underwear? why wear them? is there vaginal discharge afterwards? I was planning to not wear any the entire 6-8 weeks, I've also decide to wear dresses and gowns the whole time.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
How are you planning to take care of your incision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barren View Post
fashelo,

two questions...

regarding keeping the incision dry
after a shower, did you let it air dry?
I'm wondering after leaving the
"castle", are you suppose to keep the
incision covered or is it ok to let it have
air?

underwear? why wear them? is there vaginal discharge afterwards? I was planning to not wear any the entire 6-8
weeks, I've also decide to wear
dresses and gowns the whole time.
thoughts?

I just placed the towel over the incision and held it in place, no rubbing or anything. There are no bandages or steri strips.
As for the undies there will be a little discharge, but I had a fair bit of pinkish fluid on day 11 and 13. All normal. Make sure you visit your post op recovery post updates for your scheduled week. It's like having a support group where you can discuss everything!
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Oh, you will probably want to have some sweatpants or leggings with a roomy waistband, i got tired of looking and feeling like a "patient" really quickly.
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM

Well, different country here so maybe different methods!

I have a 7 inch vertical incision. A lot of internal dissolving stitches, I guess. The incision was sewed up with dissolving stitches, and an "optex" dressing put over that (not sure what to call it - that was the name on the discharge form). It's just a sort of adhesive gauze strip that you can shower in and leave on (it dries out, or can be dried with a hairdryer) for as long as you like!
I went for a GP check-up a week after I came home because of unexplained pain (issue resolved) and the practice nurse said I could leave this sort of dressing over the incision (she changed it and gave me a spare piece) for a few weeks because it helped prevent scarring. At 4 weeks I still have the incision covered, and when I peeked underneath I've got to say it looks pretty darn good, and better than when I peeked last week! . The stitches have dissolved of course and the scar is fading a bit.

I had no vaginal discharge except for the day after surgery. I had my cervix removed (plus everything else)
I think we are all different in that regard - no need to worry.
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashelo View Post
I just placed the towel over the incision and held it in place, no rubbing or anything. There are no bandages or steri strips.
As for the undies there will be a little discharge, but I had a fair bit of pinkish fluid on day 11 and 13. All normal. Make sure you visit your post op recovery post updates for your scheduled week. It's like having a support group where you can discuss everything!
Thanks again fashelo,

I'm scheduled for a follow up appointment 10 days after my surgery. I'm hoping to be up to going and not laying around on the sofa like a colicky baby, LOL

Watching me in pain is like watching a bad car accident, LOL

if you don't mind me asking...Can you tell me about the first time you showered? Like, what was it like the first time the water hit your incision? Were you emotional? Did anyone assist you?

I ask because if it's hard to lift in general, won't it be hard to shower yourself. I was considering asking my mother to wash me, which I think she'd love because she's being very supportive.
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post
Well, different country here so maybe different methods!

I have a 7 inch vertical incision. A lot of internal dissolving stitches, I guess. The incision was sewed up with dissolving stitches, and an "optex" dressing put over that (not sure what to call it - that was the name on the discharge form). It's just a sort of adhesive gauze strip that you can shower in and leave on (it dries out, or can be dried with a hairdryer) for as long as you like!
I went for a GP check-up a week after I came home because of unexplained pain (issue resolved) and the practice nurse said I could leave this sort of dressing over the incision (she changed it and gave me a spare piece) for a few weeks because it helped prevent scarring. At 4 weeks I still have the incision covered, and when I peeked underneath I've got to say it looks pretty darn good, and better than when I peeked last week! . The stitches have dissolved of course and the scar is fading a bit.

I had no vaginal discharge except for the day after surgery. I had my cervix removed (plus everything else)
I think we are all different in that regard - no need to worry.
acey, at my pre-op appointment I may say to my doctor, "in New Zealand, they do this..this..and this, LOL

thanks for your response. I'm considering asking for extra dressings to keep the would covered. or at least asking what I can purchase on my own.
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM

My surgery was on the morning of Sept 9, and by midnight I got up with help from the nurse to walk (only about 15 steps then back to bed.) I hardly needed any pain meds, I was mostly uncomfortable from the gas.
On day 2 the nurse gave me a chair in the washroom and I did a sponge bath, and they gave me a Peri-wash bottle for the personal areas.(kinda like a mini shower) Day 3, (I had a gauze bandage on the incision) I went to the shower in the hospital by myself. It was nice to have some independance. I just took it slow and there was a hand held shower head that was very helpful. The bandage got wet so the nurse removed it, and I haven't had one since. Day 4 I went home, and showered by myself again (it is a stall with no bathtub to climb into first). It actually felt good to have the warm water on my belly. Just a gentle dab with the towel on the incision.
I have been emotional over wierd things, like not being able to sleep. Laughing at a funny photo and then crying cause it hurts to laugh. Frustrated at not being very useful. Feeling lazy, and sleepy all the time.
I had constant help for the first 13 days, had a day to myself, and then constant help again for another 4. Today is my second day with no help. I can really pay attention to my needs when no one else is buzzing around.
Really plan on doing nothing more than lifting a coffee cup for 3 or 4 weeks. Even if you feel good (and you will) resist the urge to do more stuff. The ladies in my post op group, have discussed thier shopping, and lifting toddlers, laundry, working?!, and every single one of them has had setbacks in their healing. I am just starting to put a few cups or bowls in the dishwasher, or making a grilled cheese sandwich. I walk outside about 6 houses and back. I nap every day for at least 2 hours.
It is a very slow process, and you only get to do it right once.
Feel free to ask more questions, I will try to help as much as I can.
Sherry
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM

I have a 7in vertical incision. I had no external sutures, just steri strips. I was told to just lightly wash with soap and water, pat dry.

At my 2 week check up, she removed the steri strips and said I could use some peroxide if I wanted to. Other than that, soap, water, pat dry.

I did use dial soap just to make sure to keep the germs away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register