Do you really need a bowel prep? and other pre-op prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you really need a bowel prep? and other pre-op prep Do you really need a bowel prep? and other pre-op prep

Unread 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Do you really need a bowel prep? and other pre-op prep

The only thing I've been told about my surgery is that I need it; and since then i've scheduled it. I phoned my surgeons office and spoke to the receptionist and she said I don't need to do anything before the surgery; just the no eating or drinking from 6am the day of the surgery.

On here I keep reading different things like

people doing bowel preps? (is this needed; should i do something despite what she said?)

people washing in antibacterial solutions

having a light diet the day before surgery

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Re: Do you really need a bowel prep? and other pre-op prep

I would like to know that also. My doctor never said anything about a bowel prep or anything so I'm curious also :-)
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:15 PM

I did bowel prep beforehand. Doctor did not require it but agreed to it. I spent last night in the ER with impacted bowels, not a pretty story. If the doc says don't, don't. One nurse said I should have been ok, one said the cleansing made my bowels stop, I dont know, just don't if the doc says not to. light meals are wise. Your surgery will slow down your digestive system. Narcotics will dry out your stool. I cannot stress enough, hydrate, especially after surgery. Unless the doctor provided antibacterial, don't bother, just take a warm soapy shower the night or morning before.
Every case is different; I did bowel prep to avoid the very thing that happened to me. I was given too many narcotics after the surgery and it created an issue.
My advice: take a notepad and mark down how long you have to wait for medicines. The second day I was constantly asking for meds way before I was due; it became apparent I was not responding well.
In hospital, ask for liquids, as many as you can stomach. If you can get oatmeal or applesauce, eat that. Avoid the starchy foods and anything dry. Continue fresh fruits and veg when you get home. You will be off your feet and things will be sluggish. Continue hydrating, tea, water, you will be sick of fluids but you will be glad of it later. Hth.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by zadie View Post
The only thing I've been told about my surgery is that I need it; and since then i've scheduled it. I phoned my surgeons office and spoke to the receptionist and she said I don't need to do anything before the surgery; just no eating or drinking from 6am the day of the surgery.

On here I keep reading different things like

people doing bowel preps? (is this needed; should i do something despite what she said?)

people washing in antibacterial solutions

having a light diet the day before surgery

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM

I did have to do the bowel prep. My Dr has her patients do them o the intestines are smaller and out of the way. Depending on the Dr and the type of surgery you have, you may need to do one or not. If you've already had your pre-op appt and the Dr didn't mention it and there were no instructions in the paperwork you may have been given, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are still concerned, call and talk to the Dr's nurse and see what she says (the receptionist might not know the whole deal).

I didn't use an antiseptic soap. It is Dr dependent.

The light diet the day before is a good idea, with or without having to do the bowel prep.
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM

I agree -- if the doctor didn't say you should do it, don't worry about it! Every doctor is different in their pre-op 'requirements'. Mine only required two enemas before surgery, one the night before and one the morning of. I didn't have to follow a light diet the day before, just had to make sure I didn't eat after midnight the night before. These things are not 'required' before surgeries; people have emergent surgery all the time without having had the luxury of preparing beforehand, and things turn out just fine. My advice, no matter what you read here or anywhere else, is to do what your doctor advises.

Best wishes!
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM

thanks, everything i'm reading is helpful
as i said, i went from being told i needed a hysterectomy and to think about it to making the appointment; but haven't seen my surgeon for any kind of pre-op appointment so theres big gaps in what i know and i've been told i won't get to see him before, so the more i can find out the better
so glad i've read all the hydrating suggestions
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Hi My doc didn't say anything about bowel prep so I called his office and asked. I didn't have to do it. I did have to wash with the antiseptic soap twice before surgery. I was told that at my pre-op with the nurse. Make a list of your questions, including any especially personal questions. They've heard it all before and it's best to ask now so you're not surprised by anything later. All the best :-)
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:12 PM

I did a bowl prep before hand, but my neighbor didnt have to do one.

I took one cap full of miralax at 2 then another cap full at 4 then 4 dulcolax pills at 6 and that is what the doctors office told me to do. I drank A LOT of apple juice the day before the bowl prep just to help things along lol!!

It is up to you what you do! You could also tell your doctor that you would feel better doing one if you want to and they can instruct you on what they preffer!!
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:14 PM

thanks, how does the apple juice help?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register