Scheduled TLH Inpatient versus 23hr observation ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Inpatient versus 23hr observation ?? Inpatient versus 23hr observation ??

Unread 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Inpatient versus 23hr observation ??

Talked to my doc's billing lady. She said my insurance wants to have me be a 23-hour observation patient versus an inpatient check-in at the hospital since it's lapro surgery.

She said I still get a bed and meds and nursing and such, that it's really a technically and that if there is a problem, we can convert it to an inpatient. She also said it should be cheaper since I don't pay room charge and such.

I've never had any kind of surgery before so I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts/experience? She said she can put in a request for inpatient approval anyway if I wanted but if I don't need it, I don't really care.

FYI: Surgery scheduled for next Wednesday, October 5th. Uterus and cervix gone because of massive fibroids. Doing it laproscopically.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Re: Inpatient versus 23hr observation ??

I haven't heard of that, but, I guess it would be ok. I had davinci 4 1 /2 weeks ago and wasn't in much longer than that. Surgery was 7:45am, was waking up in recovery at 10am, took forever to get me a room but was in there around 1. I was discharged around 9 am the next morning and probably could've been sooner if nurses had their part of the discharge done.
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:18 PM

She told me too that it's not like it HAS to be exactly 23 hours either.

I just don't know the real pros/cons of this and the billing lady basically said it was a technicality more than anything but...just thought maybe someone knew more than I did about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM

I don't know much about it from a patient standpoint. This (LSH) was the third laparoscopic abdominal surgery I've had and the only one that wasn't outpatient.

It really depends on how you feel at that point, I think, and of course you won't know until you're there! I was admitted at 0630 on Wednesday for my surgery (which was at 0930), and the next morning my doctor did write discharge orders for me. However, I ended up staying an extra day because I just didn't feel well enough to go home yet. If I were you, I guess I would go ahead and process it as an outpatient observation that can be switched to inpatient if needed. As they said, it won't mean that your care will be any different -- they won't (or shouldn't!) be pushing you leave within that time frame, it just means they will re-evaluate you by that time to see if you meet the qualifications for discharge.

Hope this makes sense! Best of luck to you.
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Thanks. Yeah I guess knowing that if I need to have them "upgrade" me to inpatient is needed is good enough. She said she'd basically have the approval pending as a contingency if needed. (Complications, pain management issues, etc.)

I think it'll be alright. Surgery is 12:30pm on Wednesday (I'm after a long morning one apparently) so if they send me home late Thursday afternoon, that's fine with me. I rather recover at home anyway. Who feels good in a hospital?
Unread 09-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Let me see if I can help a bit! For one, here on the site we are seeing quite a few women having a hysterectomy on an outpatient basis. My aunt had an outpatient TVH several years ago and did well--surgery in the AM and home that evening, and my last surgery was outpatient with a planned overnight stay.

The 23 hours does not start until you leave recovery. The time you spend in pre op, surgery, and recovery are not "on the clock."

Once you are moved to a room, the plan is that you will be released within 23 hours. Some doctors will plan an overnight stay as part of that 23 hours as mine did.

Regardless of the plan, if you are not doing well enough to go home, you can be kept. Your doctor will know how to get additional time approved for any complications.

And you are right, one of the goals of getting patients home is that we often feel better in our own environment. It also gets us away from all the germs and sickness others are bringing to the hospital.

Unread 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
The 23 hours does not start until you leave recovery. The time you spend in pre op, surgery, and recovery are not "on the clock."
I'd suggest checking with the facility where you're having your surgery about this . . . at the place I had mine, the start time is when you are admitted (so my case, when I registered and before going to my room for pre-op prep) so surgery and recovery time is included in the 23 hours. If it makes that big of a difference.
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:48 PM

This happened to my husband with his knee surgery a few years ago, although it was a surgery center and not a hospital. Apparently this costs less than a hospital visit, which is why insurance companies jump on that bandwagon. I do agree that you need to get details. My husband's 23 hours began when he was scheduled to get to the surgery center and not after he was in recovery. Obviously knee surgery is not the same as having organs removed, but the idea of "outpatient" surgery pertains in both cases. They were pretty focused on getting him out of there in that 23 hour period. If something had gone wrong, he would have been trasferred to the hospital. The insurance company would have had to approve that, but docs know how to make that happen.
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:21 PM

WOW! Good posts. I better verify all the insurance details on the 5th before surgery on the 7th.
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoRomeo View Post
I'd suggest checking with the facility where you're having your surgery about this . . . at the place I had mine, the start time is when you are admitted (so my case, when I registered and before going to my room for pre-op prep) so surgery and recovery time is included in the 23 hours. If it makes that big of a difference.
This is the first I have heard of anyone being considered admitted from the time of check in with regard to the 23 hour observation period. Wow, that could make a HUGE difference, especially in cases where surgery is bumped as my last one was by several hours!

Definitely, everyone should clarify with her facility.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register