Scheduled TLH Inpatient versus 23hr observation ?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Inpatient versus 23hr observation ?? Inpatient versus 23hr observation ??

Unread 09-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Re: Inpatient versus 23hr observation ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoRomeo View Post
I'd suggest checking with the facility where you're having your surgery about this . . . at the place I had mine, the start time is when you are admitted (so my case, when I registered and before going to my room for pre-op prep) so surgery and recovery time is included in the 23 hours. If it makes that big of a difference.
Hrm...well I go in on Monday to the hospital for my pre-op stuff. I'll add it to my list to ask. My surgery is later; 12:30pm schedule right now as the doc has a procedure in the morning that I guess is going to be long, so the scheduling nurse wanted to give him ample time for that one.

I don't know that in my case it will matter quite as much because of it being later in the afternoon. It's not like I'm going to be in at 4am so they'd need to get me out before the following 4am.

But good to ask either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:22 AM

I just did pre op yesterday and saw they had a check mark marked same day surgery and not the box that said admitte 24 hours. I asked the lady and she said it was a 23 hour thing as well. But then I asked the nurse that checked me in to hospital for pre op and she said I am def. Staying over night, I just have to be discharged 23 hours after recovery. I have low income insurance and that is probly why, but then by then I will have been discharged anyhow if you think about it. So kinda like your situation
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Ok, today was all my pre-op appointments with my gyno and registration at the hospital. I asked about the 23-hour thing and when they started counting.

The official answer for my hospital was time starts when you are out of surgery and in the bed in your room. The logic behind it is the 23 hours is 23 hours of observation and I'm not in observation until I'm in the bed, in the room. Before that I'm pre-op or I'm in surgery but that's a different category.

That was a relief to me and I hope that helps someone else wondering about something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM

I go for my pre-op tomorrow and you can bet I'll be checking on that!!
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:22 PM

I am thinking the same thing. I had lapro gallbladder surgery 2 years ago. My surgery was at 8 and I was in recovery about 11/12 noon> I spent the night and they were preparing my discharge paperwork about 23 hrs later. I think I left about 11 that next day. So,I will recomfirm on Wed, but I am pretty sure it will be the same process. 23 hr observation.
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone77 View Post
I asked about the 23-hour thing and when they started counting.

The official answer for my hospital was time starts when you are out of surgery and in the bed in your room. The logic behind it is the 23 hours is 23 hours of observation and I'm not in observation until I'm in the bed, in the room. Before that I'm pre-op or I'm in surgery but that's a different category.
Exactly what I had always heard! Glad you asked to make sure!

Unread 10-03-2011, 11:58 PM

I am one that definitely could have gone home. I had mine daVinci, without any complications. My catheter was out the next morning (I had my surgery at 5:00 PM (12 or 13 hours later). The doctor stopped by to visit the next day and asked if I would consider going home, and I said NO!
I kind of liked my "hotel room."
In retrospect, I was walking and doing just fine. My adult DD is a nurse.
I could have saved an extra $250.00 or more in co-pay for the day, and saved the insurance company a lot more.
I liked the food, but I was bored silly the second day, and didn't get a whole lot of rest.

I should have listened to him, but it was my one and only hysterectomy and I was too scared to be alone without the security of the experts at the hospital.

If I need a follow-up surgery, I am going home if I am doing well.
Maybe after resting at home a week, go on vacation to a nice beach somewhere.
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:18 AM

I think this is how mine would be classified. Before my surgery they told me if it was an open incision, I would be transferred to a hospital room after surgery. If they could do it via laparoscopic, I would stay in the surgery wing. I didn't need the open incision, so after recovery I was transferred to and spent the night in a "ward" that was basically set up like pre-op (or like ER). I had my own space with curtains instead of walls. I did get a regular hospital bed, was served my meals, had a call light, a TV, the whole works.

I actually liked it (until 6 am when the next day's patients arrived). It was quiet at night, and it was actually easier to get the nurses attention, since I could hear them walk by. The responses to the call light were very quick since the nurses station wasn't more than 20 feet from each area. No long walk down the hall for the nurses. Plus I had to walk by the little nurses station to go to the bathroom, so they knew exactly how I was doing. It actually seem a bit more personal in some ways. The ward area was large and I did not have patients on either side of me, so I was not interrupted by others. One of the doctors who was in on the surgery even stopped by the next morning.

I would still recommend checking with your hospital to see what their set up is, but based on my experience, I would just as soon have it done this way unless I had to stay more than 1 night.
Unread 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM

oh glad i found this thread. thx for clarifying the 23hr time frame....now i feel better.

my doctor's apptn lady told me ALL insurance co. now requires the deVinci as an outpatient 23hr billing code for pre-authorization.

the doc will determine if you need "medically necessity" (for insurance billing coding) for overnight stay to change you to inpatient status.

so i guess it's really up to how your body is reacting & how you're feeling... if you're good to go, they send you home.
Unread 10-07-2011, 03:26 PM

spoke with the office manager at my dr's office and like Gardener8 said , with the DaVinci which I will be having it is 23 hr observation.. Now God forbid there are complications, then they just have to notify the insurance company,our copay would go from 250.00 to 500.00
so for right now its 250.00 for the hysterectomy but I need pre authorization from our insurance carrier.
I have had only good experiences at the Hospital where I will be going, so Im not worried about that, like most of you though I am trying to make a running list of to-do's before I go to the Castle.. and Im not going until the 29th of November
It will all work out in the end though~~~ I have no doubt

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register