Scheduled dVH/RALH The date is scheduled - question about travel | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The date is scheduled - question about travel The date is scheduled - question about travel

Unread 09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
The date is scheduled - question about travel

I feel like I'm counting down til Christmas, so excited to have this over and done with! Anyway, I just got my hyst date scheduled. Because of certain medical factors and my hope of having a DaVinci procedure, I will be having the hyst done out of state. I am very comfortable with this decision and the doctors.

I spoke with the scheduling desk this afternoon however, and asked how long I should plan to stay, before returning home (by airplane). I said we had counted on about 2 weeks. She was shocked and said that I'd most likely be perfectly fine for travel within days... 4-5 or so. I don't want to drag things out too long, but that seems awfully quick!

I had an exploratory laparoscopy last month, they removed one small mass of tissue near a tube, and it was maybe 5 days before I really felt like getting "out" - and that was minor by comparison to the hyst. At 5 weeks post lap, I still have some incision tenderness (particularly belly button).

All this to say - what would an appropriate timeline be for travel? I trust my doctor's advice, but I'm also curious to hear from those who've been there/done that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Re: The date is scheduled - question about travel

Kbid -

I know I couldn't have travelled for long distances the week after my surgery. I just couldn't sit that long. If you are driving you could take frequent stops and maybe stay over some place to split up the travel.

Bumps are tough on the belly so you will want a tummy pillow between you and the seatbelt.

We all heal differently but if you can manage it give yourself the time.

Unread 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM

Thank you so much for your input. Hearing from ladies who've been there/done that is SO important to me. The flight looks like it would be two 3-hour legs with a 2.5 hr layover (in O'Hare of all places.... I'll be asking for a wheelchair!). Honestly one of my concerns is that I will LOOK healthier than I am. I am a relatively fit early-30-something, and always grabbing a door for a mom with kids, or carrying a bag for an old lady at the airport kind of stuff. I have visions of someone saying "can you just grab my bag from the overhead bin real quick?" and having to say "Nope" and looking like an entitled snob. Can I ask how quickly you were driving and getting around? My mom had a coworker who had a DaVinci and was back at work and driving in 2 weeks. I do NOT want to go in with those kind of expectations, nor do I want my family to have those kind of expectations. I am a work-from-home, homeschooling mom and I anticipate being out of our normal routine at least until the new year (about 7-8 weeks Post op)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2011, 08:02 AM

kbid -

My Dr. had a 3 week appt for me instead of 2 and that's when he released me to drive. I could have done short distances at the end of 2 but only with my tummy pillow between me and the seatbelt.

Since I had a cancer dx. I had ovaries, cervix, uterus, tubes and some lymph nodes removed. I went in asking my Dr. about 4 weeks and he said 6 maybe 8. I went back at 6 and was exhausted, worked a couple days at home for 2 weeks. Slowly got back into things from there. My Dr. told me that daVinci patients are ahead in recovery for the first 6 months after that they are even with abdominal patients.

My guideline is 2/4 to 6/8 weeks of initial recovery depending on surgery type and work being done. Full recovery is a year.

I have been travelling a lot for the past year for my job so know how draining that can be. Knowing your flight is two 3 hour segments and almost a 3 hour lay-over, in my personal opinion, give yourself a week.

My surgery was the week of Thanksgiving and I went to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. I was there for a couple of hours and I was achey and drained. My surgery was on Monday and this was on Thursday. I pushed myself on some things like going to church and in hindsight I should have laid back some more. I think that caused part of some of my challenges (ache / pain things not major but took me awhile to get resolved).

Take the time you need your job is rigorous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register