Question about uti and surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about uti and surgery Question about uti and surgery

Unread 09-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Question about uti and surgery

Hi All,
Surgery is oct 11 - pre-op is oct 6...if I have a UTI will they cancel the surgery? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM
Re: Question about uti and surgery

I would doubt it, but you can call and ask. In the meantime, I'd make sure you're staying plenty hydrated, have cranberry juice, etc. Is there a reason you're worried about having a UTI in a couple weeks?
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM

I agree, my guess is they'd give you a couple extra doses of IV antibiotics if you have a UTI at surgery time. But I'm just guessing -- like kbid said, the best way to find out is to call and ask what their specific policies are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks very much.....last week I saw a urologist and they used a catheter to collect a sample (not sure why I couldn't just pee in a cup) but I haven't felt quite right since then.....There was discomfort with it and since.....so maybe it just irritated me - I don't have typical uti symptoms but then again I've had them before with no symptoms so was just worried if they found one at pre-op they might delay me.....Doesn't sound like it and I figure they will be putting me on anti-biotics anyway......
Thanks very much for your replies....trying to not go too nuts here waiting for the 11th....or worrying about after.....
Thanks for being here!
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammer View Post
Thanks very much.....last week I saw a urologist and they used a catheter to collect a sample (not sure why I couldn't just pee in a cup) but I haven't felt quite right since then.....There was discomfort with it and since.....so maybe it just irritated me - I don't have typical uti symptoms but then again I've had them before with no symptoms so was just worried if they found one at pre-op they might delay me.....Doesn't sound like it and I figure they will be putting me on anti-biotics anyway......
Thanks very much for your replies....trying to not go too nuts here waiting for the 11th....or worrying about after.....
Thanks for being here!
Hi. I did have a UTI a week before my surgery. It was discovered during my pre-op exam, I didn't have any symptoms. The doctor gave me antibiotics and said I would be fine. Maybe you should just call you doctor and ask him if he thinks you need an antibiotic based on your symptoms. You definitely do NOT want to cancel your surgery. The temptation is great. I thought about leaving the country and hiding so nobody could find me!! I was having the surgery because of cancer, so THAT would have been very stupid on my part. You'll be fine - I think waiting for surgery day to arrive is one of the hardest things to do because it leaves you too much time to think. You'll find out, as I did, that the morning of surgery goes so fast, that you don't really have a lot of time to dwell on things. They keep you pretty busy right up until the last minute and when they "push" the medicine to put you out - you won't know it's happening and the next thing you'll know is you are waking up. Pretty good stuff!! Wishing you all the best. Sending hugs and prayers your way and to the other Ladies in Waiting! Jan
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:43 AM

I have a UTI as well so my doctor just went ahead and put me on antibiotics. My pre-op is on the 4th and surgery the 12th. He absolutely isn't going to cancel mine due to the UTI so they "probably" won't cancel yours either. I agree though, the wait is killing me as well. Good luck on your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register