Scheduled TAH Surgery scheduled (scared, impatient, excited?) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery scheduled (scared, impatient, excited?) Surgery scheduled (scared, impatient, excited?)

Unread 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Surgery scheduled (scared, impatient, excited?)

Hi. there last week after battling my endo for years I scheduled my TAH/BSO for Nov 22. I know that being here I will be able to communicate with others who know what I am going through and I will be able to offer support and advice

At this point I am going crazy waiting, I almost wish I had been able to schedule it sooner but this way I will have help with the kids (sond ages 11 and 5) plus before surgery I will be able to go see my family <3

Are everyones nerves getting to them?

I am so glad I found this place

Now just trying to figure out what I will need.... Was abdominal binder good for TAH?

Ok, off to stalk the pre-op hint area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Re: Surgery scheduled (scared, impatient, excited?)

Hello, I have had 3 weeks to think about my surgery (scheduled for 10/5). It has been way too much time for me and my nerves have steadily increased. I'm not that worried about the surgery (da Vinci) but am fixated on the catheter and the overnight in the hospital. I know we will both be okay but waiting is hard.
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Also I've treated myself to new pajamas and underwear. I'm stocking my groceries this weekend and then may go to the movies on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM

Howdy! I'm in the late-November club, too. Makes sense in so many respects, but like you - it's a long time to wait!! I figure theres no excuse for me NOT to be ready when the time comes.
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hllewis22 View Post
Hello, I have had 3 weeks to think about my surgery (scheduled for 10/5). It has been way too much time for me and my nerves have steadily increased. I'm not that worried about the surgery (da Vinci) but am fixated on the catheter and the overnight in the hospital. I know we will both be okay but waiting is hard.
Thats it exactly! I know this is for the best but having so much time makes me focus on ALL the little details and kinda over plan

I plan on getting some PJs (I have none), a nightgown, and pedicure once it gets closer. You should definitely treat yourself! What will you go see?
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbid View Post
Howdy! I'm in the late-November club, too. Makes sense in so many respects, but like you - it's a long time to wait!! I figure theres no excuse for me NOT to be ready when the time comes.
Yea, I like having the time to plan but I fear over planning Thats true though. We will be totally ready when the time comes!!!
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:19 PM

I have lunch with a friend Saturday and I may go see Drive or Moneyball on monday. Definitely won't go see Contagion?

I did my pre-op stuff today and left with an information sheet for the hospital room, the compression stockings and the pain med pump. Made it more real.
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM

Sounds like you will have stuff to keep you positive and busy. I will be thinking of you
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:16 PM

You might need some pants a size or two too big because tight elastic around the waist will not be fun!

(at 4 1/2 weeks post TAH/BSO I'm still more comfortable in my loose fitting pants)

I reckon nightgowns would be more comfortable than PJs!

Cut your toenails the night before surgery!

3 weeks later you'll probably be able to cut them again yourself, but maybe not before! (My experience!)

Unless you have a tribe of helpers, a long handled reacher/grabber will be a help. Can get from a hardware store.
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:24 AM

All I can say is stock up, get help with the kids and if you have a loving husband that is wonderful. If single you will need someone to help you. Everyone's ride is different and some better than others but the end result is what to hope and wish for. I wish you all the best and hope you skate on though but if you have issues we are ALL here for you with our support.

Remember these tips:

Get a back scrather from the Dollar Tree!

Go to WalMart and buy one of those grabbers you see on TV - you'll need it! $9.95 AND Worth every penny

Get a manicure! and a pedicure

Get some new magazines! and a few good books

Something soft to throw when angry! or you can throw the books...lol

Buy some saltine crackers for the nausea and for when nothing tastes like it used to!

Might want to buy a new Bible - you will be calling on GOD and JESUS more than you have before!

Make sure someone in your house can cook, clean and wash clothes or it will be waiting for you when you least expect it!

Clean your bathroom and clean it good - you will NOT be in the mood to do that for a while!

You will have a home health nurse so investigate the agencies in your area! I did not expect that one.

Nothing will taste right for several days after surgery - so eat what you want now! It will be a while before it tastes like that again

If you have a cat - get someone else to do the feeding and litterbox! Remember NO BENDING applies here to - I forgot

If you are totally a "TYPE A" person, you just might be prone to throw a fit or two....maybe 3 or more...I know I have.

Don't expect anything because it isn't what you expect!

DO NOT go to work before 6 weeks if you DON't have to - I went back too early and if you work for men they DO NOT understand you are in pain - Don't get me started on men!!

Pushing a vacuum is NOT as easy as it used to be!

Stairs are the enemy!

Crying helps the healing process....yeah right!

Your mother does not know what you are going through - she only thinks she does!

After surgery - Walking through WalMart is not recommended - use those wheely things and don't care that people are looking at you!

Buy a thermometer if you do not have one!

Stock up on tylenol,advil or aleve!

If you have to use padding after surgery but some sanitary pads or incotinence pads they are slimer than the ABD pads.

And what I have learned since my surgery is that I am alergic to tape - they used a lot and it will tear your skin up.

Hope this helps...some was in humor, the rest take to heart.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register