How long on prescription pain pills? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long on prescription pain pills? How long on prescription pain pills?

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
How long on prescription pain pills?

I've been taking Lortab off and on since June, trying to be as minimal in it as possible (only taking at night, and not even every night). After my lap, which was on a Thurs afternoon, I took prescription pain pills regularly (every 6 hours) for 3 days. I should be having a robotic procedure, which im hoping means less pain -- but I'm really wanting to kick these narcotics to the curb as soon as possible. The thought of needing them several times a day for several weeks makes me really uncomfortable due to the addictive nature and the fact that I've been on them so long already. I know everyone is different, but curious what a good "rule of thumb" on regular medication usage is. After my csection, I only took 600 mg ibuprofen, but of course understand that this is a different surgery and recovery!! (my present med usage is for uterine issues, so THAT need will no longer be there!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Re: How long on prescription pain pills?

I had a LAVH and was on pain meds the first day and took one dose the following morning. After that it was Motrin. Everyone has a different pain tolerance so take them if you need to, especially the first few days. Then if motrin works to take the edge off, use that instead but listen to your body.
Unread 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM

I can't imagine you'd need narcotic painkillers for more than a week after surgery, unless there are some kind of complications. I had an abdominal incision, which is typically more painful than the robotic procedures, and I was off Percoset and just taking motrin by day four or five.

Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenchurch42 View Post
I can't imagine you'd need narcotic painkillers for more than a week after surgery, unless there are some kind of complications. I had an abdominal incision, which is typically more painful than the robotic procedures, and I was off Percoset and just taking motrin by day four or five.

Good luck with your surgery!
Frenchurch,

what happens if you can't take mortin, like myself? My doctor is prescribing a painkiller.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM

I had an LSH and was given Toradol (IV only, unfortunately!) then ibuprofen in the hospital, and also the occasional Percocet. I was sent home with ibuprofen and Vicodin. I used the ibuprofen round the clock for the first few days I was home, and just did Vicodin at night, then took ibuprofen only when I needed it (usually once a day) by the time I hit the one-week mark. Now I'm two weeks post-op and can't even remember the last time I took anything for the pain.

One quick note about the 'addictive' aspect of these meds -- if a person takes them only as prescribed, they won't get addicted to them; it's when a person takes them for reasons other than pain control that they are considered to be a real problem. (I went through a ton of this after my Dad had his double bypass and wouldn't take his meds because he didn't want to get addicted. It's a very valid concern, but a good 99% of the people who use narcs as prescribed for post-op pain do NOT get addicted to them!)

OK, putting that soap box away. Heeheehee!!

As far as the 'rule of thumb', my doctor gave me a prescription for two months' worth of both the ibuprofen (800mg every 8 hours) and the Vicodin (5/500, 2 tabs every 8 hours). So theoretically, you could say they anticipate you might need them that long.

Hope this helps! Feel like I'm rambling on a bit tonight . . . sorry!
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM

I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" when it comes to pain relief. Everyone is so different that you really just have to listen to your body.

As for me, I was on a morphine drip (PCA) the first 24hours post-op and then ibuprofen & panadeine forte for the next 24hours. I was discharged after 2 nights in hospital, and didn't go home with any prescriptions. I found I only needed paracetemol and the occasional ibuprofen.

I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and honestly can't remember the last time I needed pain relief (except for my awful day yesterday).
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:00 AM

Hi,
Like these ladies have said we all are different with regard to pain, and we all have slightly different things done. I had a LAVH and endo removal. I used the pain meds- oxycodone for the first week. I then switched to just advil every 6 hours, but unfortunately I have had some complications that have caused bad pelvic pain, and am now taking the oxycodone again. I dont consider myself a whimp, and I think my pain tolerance is pretty high, but torturing myself with sharp pelvic pain because I am afraid of the meds seems like a bad idea too. And I am afraid, because while most people might not get addicted, some do, and I definitley dont want to be one of them. I have seen close friends and family struggle with addiction. I am just hoping that if I only take them when Ireally need to, I will be ok. Anyway- I would say that it all depends on you, your procedure, and how your recovery goes, but dont stay in pain b/c you are afraid of being addicted, that will only slow your recovery. Good luck to you-
Merr

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register