Scheduled dVH/RALH Post-op bleeding - what to expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op bleeding - what to expect? Post-op bleeding - what to expect?

Unread 10-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Post-op bleeding - what to expect?

I had a friend who had a vaginal hysterectomy a couple months ago, and no bleeding at all during her recovery period. I'd assumed that I would at least have spotting, and was surprised that she hadn't had anything. I understand that every person and every surgery is different, but I'm curious to what degree there was bleeding, and for how many days? Will I need lots of pads on hand? I only ever buy the giant diaper sized ones - i assume that amount of blood loss would be excessive, though. I assume tampons would be a "no"... All things I'll talk to my dr about of course - but thats 6 weeks away, lol... I don't want to be ruining undies and jammie pants in my recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Re: Post-op bleeding - what to expect?

I had davinci 5 weeks ago and only had light spotting for about 2-3 days post op. I kept expecting more but it never came. I could've gotten by with just liners, although I used regular pads the first day or two home. Tampons are not allowed...
Unread 10-01-2011, 10:09 PM

No tampons... Nothing at all in the vagina until your doc clears you post op. I bought a small pack of pads (thin medium flow ones) but only used one and that was on the way home from hospital. I had spotting just for a few days maybe a week. But it's not enough to get on your clothes, you just see it when you wipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2011, 11:46 PM

I've had some light spotting for the last 2 weeks but it has been nothing big. I never really had any bleeding other than doing too much stuff and paying the price. Even then it was nothing to write home about. I've been strickly on panty liners and most days that is more than I need.
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:55 PM

I bought pads overnights and the medium flow absorbencies as well as pantyliners and the only bleeding I had was a small streak on a pad when I made it back to my room from recovery. I have been pantyliners for my peace of mind because you never know. But every person is different. Tampons are a big no no as is anything in the vagina until the doctor says otherwise (douche included). If I were you I would purchase pads to be on the safe side
Unread 10-02-2011, 02:14 AM

I had my da Vinci almost 4 weeks ago and I too had very light spotting for about 2 days but nothing since.

Best wishes!!
Unread 10-02-2011, 02:37 AM

I had my DaVinci on Friday and woke up with a pad on. They kept checking it at the hospital and there was nothing. I went home Friday evening and still haven't had any bleeding. They did send me home with some pads just incase but doesn't look like I'll need them. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-02-2011, 03:37 AM

Similar to the stories above. Bought TONS of pads and haven't needed a single one in the sense that I haven't bled on any but I've still worn them because I've been too scared not to.

The only bleeding I had was a small smear of blood on the tissue the first time I walked to the bathroom but after that - not even a spot.

5 weeks today and I'm just beginning to trust my body isn't bleeding... it is a difficult concept to get your head around when bleeding has been constant and heavy for years. Still got loads of pads though and will have to come up with some creative ideas to get some use out of them!
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:19 AM

i'm 9 days post op and only had smearing when i returned from O.R..nothing to date so far ....good luck
Unread 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM

When I was sure my bleeding was done I put all my pads, liners and tampons in a pretty gift bag and gave them to a friend. She laughed when she opened it. Women's shelters are always in need of feminine products.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register