Scheduled TLH Constipation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Constipation

Aloha 'sisters"
After perusing the post op discussions, I have noticed that many of you use Milk of Mag to get things going again.
My doctor has recommended Miralax twice a day along with a stool softner for pre op. Only if constipated (not sure at what point one determines that) he recommends using Mag citrate.

I think that the two biggest post op concerns that I have are being able to have that first BM, (Auwee!!) and having the first 'pee' on my own after the catheter (he said I need to use for 4-5 days ?) comes out. And to make it clear, I am concerned about having a catheter since I don't think I have ever had on.

So just to help the first concern, I am thinking of also buying some Milk of Mag and some suppositories. I want to have a BM within 2-3 days as I tend to pack it up (sorry to be so graphic). Have we no shame

Anyone out there that has used 'just' the Miralax and stool softeners and did it do the trick nicely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Re: Constipation

I know that I have several friends (including my husband) that gets stopped up every time we travel...
The only thing that has worked for any of them has been dulcolax (bisacodyl)... I am unsure if it would be OK for a post surgery time but you could ask a Dr. about it. I know I will be asking about it at my Pro-op...
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Hum View Post
I know that I have several friends (including my husband) that gets stopped up every time we travel...
The only thing that has worked for any of them has been dulcolax (bisacodyl)... I am unsure if it would be OK for a post surgery time but you could ask a Dr. about it. I know I will be asking about it at my Pro-op...
Both my husband and I take Metamucil daily. Like your husband when we first begin a long trip we have a similar problem so we add prunes to the menu gourmet. However, I think this little trip is going to require more than Metamucil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Post op I think every organ in the tummy seems to go into shock from being disturbed.
For me, post op - catheter was great, didn't feel it, but in the first few days when getting out of bed is a huge effort +painful, it was wonderful. They removed mine on day two, then nil issues with voiding, difficulty with just sitting down and needed a pillow to hold my tummy, then relaxed. But I had no bladder issues/concerns pre-op either.
Bowel, day 4 and day 9, before bowels settled into their daily routine. Was taking stool softeners post op, light diet until bowel motions started, then added prune juice to get things moving.
I read that enema type solutions can make the bowel lazy, as it needs to remember how to work.
best wishes for your preparation and a smooth recovery
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Mahalo for your reply
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Good Luck coconut wireles!
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:00 PM

Fleet suppositories and stool softeners r your best friends. Softeners will keep u comfortable and suppositories will help everything "slide" w/o too much trauma/drama.....
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbharp1 View Post
Fleet suppositories and stool softeners r your best friends. Softeners will keep u comfortable and suppositories will help everything "slide" w/o too much trauma/drama.....
Great the suppositories are on my list to buy.
Definitely do not want to become a Drama Queen
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM

I used stool softeners for about 2 months after my surgery just to keep it soft and easier on the way out. I used suppositories to help get things moving. It took about 5 days (if I remember correctly) for the first movement - and I took MOM that day out of desperation (hate that stuff... yuk!). After that, things seemed to move better on their own.

Good luck to you!!
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Hi (((coconut wireless))) I can relate to both of your fears, since I worried about both things prior to my surgery. I do think planning to have a bm by 2-3 days post op may be just a wee bit ambitious -- the average is about 5 days, which is when I had my first one. I did not use any laxatives - my DR was very clear on wanting me to avoid them because the contractions of the bowel, if too strong, could do damage to the healing tissues inside. I just used stool softeners, beginning in the hospital (they were brought to me with each meal) and continuing at home; plenty of fluids, including warm prune juice and black coffee; and lots of short walks around the house to 'get things moving'. That way, when it did happen, it did not hurt too much.

I also went home with a Foley catheter, which I ended up keeping in for a week and then removing. I really did not mind it - I know that might sound strange, but in a way it was a blessing, especially at night when I didn't have to get up to use the bathroom and could sleep through the night for the first time in years. The nurses at the hospital showed me how to remove the catheter, so when the time came I was able to do that at home. Then I had to keep a log of how often I used the bathroom in order to retrain my bladder to wait until it was full each time. It took a few weeks to get back on a normal schedule, but things have been fine ever since. The catheter gave my bladder time to 'rest' and gave the swelling around my urethra time to go down, so it was totally worth it. It was not that uncomfortable, and I was even able to go out with the leg bag on for short periods.

I hope this puts your mind at ease a little... good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register