Scheduled LAVH Outpatient....?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Outpatient....?? Outpatient....??

Unread 10-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Outpatient....??

I am scheduled for this Wednesday, October 5th. It was only authorized for outpatient and that scares me! I don't know what to expect as far as pain management. I am allergic to most of them. Any advice on how to handle the pain at home? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Re: Outpatient....??

Hi Mauiwowie! I had LAVH outpatient two weeks ago. I was afraid too, but I was given a rx that works for me (percocet). Let your doctor know what works for you and what doesn't. You will do better than you expect trust me!

The pain wasn't truly unbearable, the worst of it all is the gas pains that comes with it. Remember to walk and drink plenty of water. What type of hysterctomy are you having?
Unread 10-03-2011, 02:59 AM

My Dr or ins. considered 23 hours outpatient. But it it easy for them to change to for a longer stay. The pain was not so bad for me unles I coughed or sneezed. Good luck let us know how you are when you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2011, 08:29 AM

I had my LAVH July 11th at 11 a.m. and was home by 4 p.m. For me personally I took pain meds the day of surgery and the following. I was on Loritab. After that the pain was managed with Motrin. As Divaster said, the worst part for me was the gas pains as well. Walking, fluids and gas x helped. Good luck.

Tracy
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Call your insurance and ask. My paperwork only said one day authorized and that scared the crud outta me too...I called my insurance and they said they routinely authorize the one day since that's what's needed for surgery, but that my Dr. will submit for more as I am admitted and they expect this. If they automatically authorize for a certain amount of time, the hospital will keep you as long as you are authorized for, even if you are well enough to be released. They assured me that I would not be denied any time need post op in the hospital. Good luck....and call them....communication is UBER important during this time.
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Gas pain was also the only real pain for me. The nurse told me the gas pains generally get better 24 hours after you start eating, which mine did, I had something to eat before I felt like it, but was glad I did. I also walked several times the day and night of my surgery and was glad when it helped to make the gas move!
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:34 AM

I had a LAVH. I went into the OR at 8am and was discharged at 3pm....home at 5pm. I was nervous about it beforehand but I am so glad I came home. The pain was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I was much more comfortable and relaxed at home.

Good luck!
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:33 AM

Wow! Thank you all so much! I spoke to my doc today and all of my questions have been answered. You girls are a huge help! I am having my uterus removed and am leaving my ovaries. Hope all goes well. I am getting super nervous!!
NY Yankees fan, love it!! Me too!! Go Yankees, let's hope for a win tomorrow!! I will update as soon as I can.
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:54 AM

I was nervous too but it really is over very fast. Just remember to start eating and moving as soon as your dr says you can. The gas pain was by far the worst part for me and eating and walking helped that, it was much better within 48 hours. And rest!!! I have had a hard time doing that and set myself back every time I do too much. It isn't worth it! REST!!! :-) You'll do great and will feel great in a short time!!
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM

I had my LAVH on 9/8/[email protected] am & was out of surgery at 1 pm &was home by 7:00 pm. It is definitely true that the gas pains is the worst aspect of it. As I didn't have any other pain. Hope all goes well with you. Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register