TVH questions (obesity and more) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH questions (obesity and more) TVH questions (obesity and more)

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
TVH questions (obesity and more)

I'm freaking out right now. I just got a phone call saying that my TVH has been moved up to Oct 18 (orig date was 11/22.)

I thought I had much more time to prepare! (trying to fundraise to get a sofa so that I can lounge and sleep on it during recovery. Plus, I need a place for my sister or mom to sleep over so that I can get some help with my son! The fundraiser hasn't been successful at this point and now I'm freaking out!)

Now for my questions. I'm a plus size woman (sz 22/44). My belly hangs down (belly apron) and I'm wondering if that causes problems/extra pain after surgery.

Also wondering if said floppy belly will make things hurt more while laying down/sleeping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Re: TVH questions (obesity and more)

No one here was heavy when they had their surgery? Ok, now I'm embarrassed.
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:06 PM

It's only been 4 hours since you posted. It takes time for the right people to come across your thread; even some basic questions wait a day or so. Don't worry; I'm sure you'll get some feedback soon. I'm still in the waiting game, so no help here! Good luck getting answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootLiz View Post
I'm freaking out right now. I just got a phone call saying that my TVH has been moved up to Oct 18 (orig date was 11/22.)

I thought I had much more time to prepare! (trying to fundraise to get a sofa so that I can lounge and sleep on it during recovery. Plus, I need a place for my sister or mom to sleep over so that I can get some help with my son! The fundraiser hasn't been successful at this point and now I'm freaking out!)

Now for my questions. I'm a plus size woman (sz 22/44). My belly hangs down (belly apron) and I'm wondering if that causes problems/extra pain after surgery.

Also wondering if said floppy belly will make things hurt more while laying down/sleeping.
Hey, just now saw your post. Good luck with the fundraising. At any rate, as far as your question is concerned, I'm a plus size woman at about 4X and am currently 2 weeks post TAH. Like you, my belly hangs down. I haven't had much irritation with my scar, other than the fact that I have psoriasis, so I have to deal with the reactionary psoriasis from the incision. The only problem I've had relating to my weight is that it was REALLY difficult to scoot up in the bed in the hospital and the fact that I've needed to keep 4 X 4's on my incision to keep it dry. Also, it was a bit scary when I took my first shower after surgery and had to lift my stomach to make sure my incision was rinsed and dried well, but it worked out just fine. Just remember to be careful with your stomach, and you'll be okay. Also, you'll probably need a couple of extra pillows if you're a side sleeper to put between your legs to lessen the pressure on your belly. The main goal, however, is keeping that incision dry, so invest in a couple boxes of 4 X 4's and some paper tape to keep the pads loosely covering the incision.

Hang in there. Obesity doesn't necessarily preclude hysterectomy nor does it necessarily mean you're going to go through hell recovering either. (You might, but then that might happen if you're thin too) My recovery so far, with the exception of catching a cold this last weekend, has been smooth. Good luck!!
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Thank you, Ariannah!
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:40 PM

I had a TVH and my fluffy tummy caused me no issues at all. Of course I had no incisions to worry about. I didn't need a binder ir pillows or anything. On the sofa----have you looked at 2nd hand maybe? Or maybe a raised AeroBed would be cheaper and could be put away later for occasions you need it. Just some thoughts. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:43 PM

I can't do used due to our severe allergies/asthma. AeroBeds are low and are difficult to get off of. That would cause a lot of pain (judging from what people are saying about not using your ab muscles to get up, etc.)
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm thinking of the new raised Aerobeds that are the height of a regular bed, they have those now. It might be a thought for the family helping you anyway, but I'm not sure how much they cost it was just a thought.
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:59 PM

My sister has her own inflatable bed and that would work for her, if need be, but I really need the sofa for me to lounge on. My sister can only stay a few nights... I'm going to have to watch my son after that.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM

I had a DaVinci hysterectomy along with an additional 6" horizontal incision to remove my uterus.

I am plus sized as well and I was concerned about my incisions. My doctor, however, made the horizontal incision on my belly instead of under it. That way I didn't have to worry extra about it staying any dryer or cleaner than the other incisions on my belly.

I am about a 4X also, and my belly didn't really cause me any recovery problems. I was able to move around on the hospital bed without problem. It hasn't caused me any additional pain while sleeping or laying down. In fact, I've been back to sleeping on my stomach since my 1 week post-op checkup.

Good luck on your surgery. I would have been happy to have mine moved up. I think the waiting was the worst part!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register