Scheduled TAH 10/6/11 Surgery - Hosptial Stay Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10/6/11 Surgery - Hosptial Stay Question 10/6/11 Surgery - Hosptial Stay Question

Unread 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
10/6/11 Surgery - Hosptial Stay Question

I wanted to ask others who have had the verticle incision (giant fibroids) about post op.
How long after you woke up did they want you to walk?
How long was it before you could eat?
Here's a gross question...Do they have to hear you pass gas before they will let you eat?
How long were your in the hospital?

Thanks everyone. My nerves are getting the best of me...1 day away. I have to say, I am really looking forward to the drugs that will help me relax before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Re: 10/6/11 Surgery - Hosptial Stay Question

Dogs are definately cool! I had the verticle incison TAH. They wanted me to walk as soon as I felt up to it. The sooner you get up and move around the better. I actually was walking with the IV 'totem pole' in tow the night following my surgery in the morning. I work out alot so I think my body being in decent shape helped here. It will vary person to person.
As for eating, i was on clear liquid diet until i pooped. Jello, popcicles, broth and ice tea was about it for a day or two. They don't have to hear anything... you just honestly tell them what is happening with your body!
I was in the hospital for 3 nights/3 days and came home to caring friends and family. I was in the same boat as you...nervous and all, but it was well worth it! Here's hoping a fast and speedy recovery for you as well!
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM

I had a TAH BSO - my vertical incision is 6 inches long and starts just below my belly button.

My surgery was at 11 AM on a Tuesday with an epidural. Because the epidural was in the rest of the day and into the early morning they did not let me walk (nor did I really want to). I walked on Wednesday, the day after surgery.

As far as eating, I had a clear liquids (broth, tea, jello, etc.) the night of my surgery,and through the next few days. I did not pass gas or have a BM until Friday. It took longer than normal for my intestines to wake up. Once everything was moving again on Friday, I got to to home. So, the total hospital stay was 4 days/3 nights.

Good luck. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Thank you for responding! I am starting with clear liquids today and this time tomorrow I will be at the hospital. I am a bundle of nerves but I know it has to be done or my quality of life will continue to suffer. I am pretty fit so I hope I can be up and moving within the first 24 hours. It's weird, I am excited and scared at the same time. So excited to be fibroid and pain/blood free. Everything has revolved around my monthly cycle for years.
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Good luck to you!

This particular surgery is especially nerve racking. But, you have come to the right place for support and understanding. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

(((HUGS)))
Unread 10-06-2011, 12:02 AM

Hi! Just think, by this time tomorrow you'll be on the road to recovery.

I had my surgery on a Monday afternoon, and they tried getting me up the next morning. When this did not work very well (severe sudden nausea) the walking was put on hold until that evening.

I had a liquid diet for close to 24 hours, then progressed to soft foods (hot cereal, pudding, etc.) the second day. On day 3, I was able to eat everything and I certainly tried to do it! I think I ordered half the menu for lunch, including a delicious vanilla shake.

They didn't have to hear me actually pass gas... they just listen for sounds inside your intestines. Nothing at all embarrassing. One note, though -- some hospitals will insist that you have a BM before leaving. Mine did not, and it's a good thing because I would have been in the hospital for a week!

I was in the hospital for 3 nights -- left on Thursday afternoon. Although I didn't get any "happy drugs" until I actually got to the operating room the nurses were absolute angels and when they found out how far we were driving home (1 hour) they brought me two pain pills "for the road". My husband also managed to get his hands on one of the pads they put down on my bed to put on my car seat "just in case" -- it wasn't necessary but it made us both feel more secure.

to you.
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Today is your day Dogsarecool! Just letting you know I'm thinking about you this morning and sending great thoughts your way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register