Pre post op diet/weight issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre post op diet/weight issues Pre post op diet/weight issues

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Pre post op diet/weight issues

Besides all of the emotional craziness I am experience as the countdown to my Oct 14 surgery, I have more long term questions. I am keeping one of my ovaries (apparently the only 'good' piece left) so as not to go into menopause. However, am vainly concerned about weight gain. I have read blogs, threads and everything in between. Some women say they have gained 'excessive' amounts of weight, some have lost. Just curious about others on this site who have comments to offer the vain vein in me. Lost 40 lbs 2 years ago and am concerned about gaining it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Re: Pre post op diet/weight issues

I weighed 188 pounds before my surgery, and I am 5'6."
I am large boned.

After my TAH davinci in February 2011, I weighed 190 pounds.
I was basically resting and eating whatever I felt like eating.

By Late May I was ready to exercise and go on a diet.

I logged on to "Myfitnesspal.com," and registered all of my food and exercise. I started to learn about fats, carbs, cholesterol, sugars and calories.
i started slowly with my exercise program. I walked near the house for 10 minutes and increased that time every few days little by little.
As I got stronger, I moved my exercise program to the gym, to hang out with like minded individuals.

I had to drop some of my "food friends" that didn't like to exercise. I had to learn that they were just not going to change. I still like them, but we have to do something other than go to a restaurant an eat unhealthy foods.

I started getting to bed earlier, and exercising more. I walk probably 3-4 miles a day and burn up about 500-600 calories on average (6 days a week). On Sundays I can work out more so I try to burn up about 700-850 calories. I go first thing in the morning at about 6:15 AM. I arrive at the gym and get started at around 6:30. I work out until 7:40, then take a shower, get dressed, put my make-up on and get to work by 8:15 AM. On Sundays I work out from 6:30 until 8:30 AM.

I try not to eat at restaurants or fast food places. No sweets.
I cook at home and eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. My carbs are limited as are fats and sugars.

In the end, I have lost almost 30 pounds to date.
I was wearing a size 16 pants and now I wear a size 10.

My blood pressure used to be about 140/85 or 90, but now is 110/65 or 70.
My cholesterol levels have come down,
and my sugar level has dropped from an A1C of 6.4 to 5.6.

I need to lose 10 more pounds because I want to get from my present weight of 160 to a goal weight of 150.
My doctor said that hysterectomies are "fattening foods in and pounds on."
I believe it.

I haven't been 150 since I was 35.
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:23 AM

Good for you, Suziq! That's so awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2011, 07:05 AM

Thank you Suzi! I needed that this morning! I am planning on losing at least 50 pounds over the winter..
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowinsight View Post
Good for you, Suziq! That's so awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!
Thank you, and You're welcome!
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanny4wheeler View Post
Thank you Suzi! I needed that this morning! I am planning on losing at least 50 pounds over the winter..
You're welcome!
Yes, you can lose 50 pounds.
Just take baby steps.
Start with 3 pound, then 5 pound increments...
They (the pounds lost) all add up.

Good Luck!

I was shocked that I finally learned what my doctor has been saying all of these years...that diet and exercise DO work.
I believe the "metabolism changing" due to the hysterectomy, but I also believe all the more reason to make lifestyle adjustments to improve our health and well-being.

We are important to ourselves, our families, and friends.
We deserve to work hard at keeping ourselves healthier.
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Since i am 71 and having a TLAH ULS and Bladder Neck suspension, I imagine I am not going to walk my paltry four miles a day to soon afterwards. I am 5'7 and weigh 119-120lbs. Over four years ago, I cut back on my food intake and started the 4 miles a day and was able to drop 20-25 lbs and have kept it up.
My calorie intake is pretty low and the walking helps. I too am concerned about this swelly belly business and weight gain
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut wireles View Post
Since i am 71 and having a TLAH ULS and Bladder Neck suspension, I imagine I am not going to walk my paltry four miles a day to soon afterwards. I am 5'7 and weigh 119-120lbs. Over four years ago, I cut back on my food intake and started the 4 miles a day and was able to drop 20-25 lbs and have kept it up.
My calorie intake is pretty low and the walking helps. I too am concerned about this swelly belly business and weight gain
Aloha!
It will be slow at first, but you can begin exercise very slowly and for very short periods of time if your doctor allows it.
As far as "swelly belly," it goes away after several months. As you get better, it comes and goes.
For most of us, it is temporary.

I love your island and city. So beautiful!
One of my aunties lives there.
"Hawaii no ka oi."
Suzi
Unread 10-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq55 View Post
Aloha!
It will be slow at first, but you can begin exercise very slowly and for very short periods of time if your doctor allows it.
As far as "swelly belly," it goes away after several months. As you get better, it comes and goes.
For most of us, it is temporary.

I love your island and city. So beautiful!
One of my aunties lives there.
"Hawaii no ka oi."
Suzi
Mahalo Susie
A couple of months AUWEE!!! When I lost that weight earlier I finally had a belly that I could suck in and control. As lovemynewfie posted I also have the vain vein in me
With everything else we have to put up with, it just doesn't seem fair.
Well, at least, it's good to know others feel the same way.
A hui hou

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register