What can I expect at 6 week checkup? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can I expect at 6 week checkup? What can I expect at 6 week checkup?

Unread 12-15-2001, 06:46 PM
What can I expect at 6 week checkup?

Unlike many of the other sisters, I have only seen my doc once since surgery and that was 1 week post to take the staples out. So, I have no idea what to expect. I'm guessing he will look at the incision (which is healing beautifully with Vitamin E cream on it every other day) Will he do an internal exam as well? I'm also assuming that based on what he sees, he'll tell me what activities I can resume. I'm hoping he says that I still can't vacuum or iron!!! I'd appreciate some feedback from those of you who have already had their 6 week post visit. I will also be seeing my GP the next day so we can begin monitoring my iron, the surgery was hopefully going to give me back normal iron levels.

Thanks ladies and Happy Holidays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2001, 08:17 PM

Hi minniehaha

Now, keep in mind that every doctor is different and that we've all had different procedures, but here's what happened at MY post-op.

I too only had a 6 week post-op: the last time I'd seen the doctor before that was the day I was discharged from the castle (no staples to remove). He started off by asking how I was feeling, asked a few questions about my recovery. He then did an internal... very gently. There was little blood blister on my cervix, so he cauterized it. He also did a bi-manual palpation of my tummy ... again, very gently. None of this hurt.. though it wasn't very pleasant.

He did tell me what I was allowed to do. Because I'd also had posterior repairs, he told me that the lifting and straining restrictions still remained for several weeks... preferably to 6 months (that included vacuuming ). And he signed my release back to work. I was told the next check-up would be in 1 year's time.

Hope this helps.
Unread 12-15-2001, 08:18 PM

Just had my 6 week. I went in with my list of questions. I had a TVH and the doc did an internal exam (gentle). He still saw some stiches but released me to do anything including making love. I have a very minor amount of discharge still but I guess that is okay. He suggested I work back up to my normal level of working out (20 minutes bike, 10 weights, and 20 minutes swimming so I'll start at 5 minutes each and lighter weights). He also said to take it easy at first picking up my 30 pound twins. That's about it. No biggie.
I trimmed my tree today and decorated the house then had a 3 hour nap. Life is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2001, 05:17 AM

I had my 5 week check up just two days ago. Doc did an internal exam. I was still very tender. Said everything was looking great but I'm a slow healer. He gave the go ahead for intercourse in two to three weeks but was very specific about how to ease into it. We went over estrogen levels and he told me I could go back to work after the holidays. I don't see him again for three months!
It was a great visit.
Good luck to you!
Unread 12-16-2001, 08:55 AM
Had my 6-week last week!

Hi, Minnihaha!
I, too, only saw my doc at day 10 to remove staples. She scheduled my 6-week at that time. Went in last week for that. I had a TAH, too, and she checked the incision site with is healing beautifully. She also did a pelvic to check the healing on the vag cuff. That is also healing nicely. When she removed her gloved hand, she found another knot that had dissolved and showed me. She said that I may still pass a stitch or two, but it looked like all was going well in there. She warned me about granular tissue, saying that if I bleed after intercourse to go in and she would do a silver nitrate(?) swab to carterize it. Granular tissue is vascular and can bleed if the penis hits it during sex, but it's nothing abnormal - no cause for alarm.

I was kinda' worried about pain - the thought of a pelvic gave me the willies! But it didn't hurt at all - honest! Best part - she cleared me for sex , light exercise and resumption of normal activities. Bonus - I don't have to see her again for a year!
Yippee!
BTW...had no bleeding after sex - no cramps, discharge, pain!
Double-Yippee!

Hope yours goes well, too!

love,
-di

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register