New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid

Unread 10-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Re: New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid

Hi carolyne
I think we are both scheduled for oct 11th right? How are you doing? I had my pre-op n they were very thorough n took all the paperwork I had so I feel like my part is done now n am just waiting. I will be having a spinal n conscious sedation n I am a bit nervous but for health reasons I can't do general anesthetic so actually I am much more comfortable with it all. Just nervous now. But it helped to read the other posts here! Hope you are doing ok ...
Best to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Hey Sammer, thanks for checking in on me. Yesterday I had my pre ops too. Went good, surprsingly this morning I feel well and ready to get it over with. We decided to remove the ovaries too, with Gods help I will get through this and so will you. Oh I'm having edideral to help with pain. I will say a prayer for you today sweetie! Love ya bunches!!!
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:11 AM

Will say a prayer for you today too!! I too feel surprisingly at ease and am ready to feel better! Since I am having a spinal anesthesia, they will put anesthesia in there too (kinda like an epidural) so hopefully we will both be able to minimize the pain!
Yes we'll get through this!! Bless you and I'll talk to you when we are both able!!!
I leave in 30 minutes!
Love,
Sammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2011, 07:21 AM

As I read through the posts I am puzzled by the fact that per many sources, fibroids are entirely correctable without taking the uterus. And ovaries? And cervix? Why?? They are so critical to your future well being. And what do they have to do with fibroids?? Are you being unindated by the 'what if's'? Well what if the sky falls down.

I looked around for info on endo cancer and found so much that people with fibroids can do, without removing the reproductive organs. There are so many post-hysterectomy conditions that'll persist for the rest of a woman's life. Problem with pressure on bladder? Wait till there's no uterus between the colon and bladder and the colon/intestines do their 'falling down' trick.

Everyone needs to do what is right for them, of course, and I wish you all the best.

I have endo cancer, as I said, so I don't have much choice. Still, I'm looking into any and all possibilities...
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:50 AM

My mom had fibroids and one was the size of a small baby- she had a TAH and has never felt better and is so happy to have an end to all the bleeding and pain. I'm having my TAH for reasons of horrible ovarian cysts which rupture and incapacitate me, im BRCA 2 positive and have bleeding problems/pain while on depo - and possible Endo cancer. I'm looking forward to my TAH. everyones different but for many women a hysterectomy is indeed a blessing! Good luck to you!
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnah View Post
As I read through the posts I am puzzled by the fact that per many sources, fibroids are entirely correctable without taking the uterus. And ovaries? And cervix? Why?? They are so critical to your future well being. And what do they have to do with fibroids?? Are you being unindated by the 'what if's'? Well what if the sky falls down.

I looked around for info on endo cancer and found so much that people with fibroids can do, without removing the reproductive organs. There are so many post-hysterectomy conditions that'll persist for the rest of a woman's life. Problem with pressure on bladder? Wait till there's no uterus between the colon and bladder and the colon/intestines do their 'falling down' trick.

Everyone needs to do what is right for them, of course, and I wish you all the best.

I have endo cancer, as I said, so I don't have much choice. Still, I'm looking into any and all possibilities...
I just typed a freaking wall of text and lost it.

I'll keep this short.

Have you done any real research on fibroids? There is no entirely correctable method for fibroids that preserves the uterus. The ONLY entirely correctable method is hysterectomy.

I think you should read more of the ladies posts about fibroids and their suffering and try doing more research. Many of the ladies have tried ALL of the options with no results.

As for cervix & ovaries, for some, its a choice, others, there is no choice.

I've not seen any lady so far, that is doing this for the heck of it. They are here because they are scared and need support and possible alternatives if they haven't persued them. Most of the ladies in this PRE-OP thread have made their choice or tried the options. There is a thread called Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

I find your post offensive and its like a slap in the face to those that suffer from fibroids. I feel you are being judgmental towards those that make choices you don't feel is something you would choose to do. There is nothing wrong with the choices some make because of the what ifs.

I'm not here to argue. I thought I'd post my feelings since you posted yours.

Love to all you ladies and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnah View Post

Hunnah,

I am so sorry you are dealing with endo cancer. I am sure you are scared and I wish you all the best in your journey.

I realize that it is very rare that fibroids are cancerous and maybe that is where you are coming from but many people have no choice, I am one of those. I had a softball, volleyball and several golf ball sized fibroids. They were so incredibly large that they were completely blocking the opening to my uterus. They were not able to do a biopsy because they could not get to the uterus. It took two ultrasound techs to try and do an ultrasound and with a lot of pushing and shoving inside of me and they could not get any good pictures because it was so large. The CT scan did not even show everything that we were dealing with...it only showed the softball sized one. So for many people, a hysterectomy is the only option. We have all dealt with horrid symptoms and so I hope you understand now why many of us HAVE to get a hysterectomy. This was not my first option but it is what it is and I am dealing with it and for the first time in a long time, I feel good.

I only have good wishes for you in your journey and pray that you will be cancer free soon. I hope I have been able to help you understand a little of how things are for those of us with fibroids. My intent was not to be mean in this at all, I hope it is read with a soft tone of love and understanding.

God Bless! I will be praying for you and please keep us updated on your path so we can support you in any way we are able.
Unread 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

I'm thinking that you lost the wall of text because it was inappropriately angry...

My post is/was in defense of all of us who are told we need hysterectomy when there really is something else we can try. I'm not saying that there are alternatives for everyone, and I know that women who are suffering with no end in sight welcome this surgery.

I'm a woman's advocate and if you read anything else in there it comes from your own anger and frustrations and I don't blame you for having negative emotions. We all struggle sometimes with knowing what is our issue and what is someone else's.
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM
New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyne72 View Post
:newHey all, I'm new here. I'm 39 years (young) My surgery is scheduled to Tues. Oct. 11. (Open Incision) Doctor says I have an almost 7 cm fybroid (not causing any pain but it is pressing on my bladder, will feel good to be able to pee normal again) so we feel its best to remove uterus. Not sure about ovaries....part of me wants to go ahead for peace of mind. Will be talking with Dr. on Monday about that. I do have cysts that come on them from time to time. Dr. says he will put me on Estrogen patch right out of surgery if I decide to remove the ovaries. I'm not looking forward to the surgery but just want it over with so I can go on with life. I would love to meet some good friends here who share my struggles.

Does anyone know if women usually gain weight after Hysterectomies?
Hi Carolyne,
You are having your surgery today. I wish you a speedy recovery. You and I have similiar experiences in regards to the fibroids and bladder. I had my LSH last week Tuesday. I am 49 and my symptoms were very irregular bleeding, low back pain, a large pedunculated fiibroid on the rt side and 2 more fibroids in my uterus. To be honest I thought the trouble with not being able to urinate was part of reaching 50 until my doctor said it was not normal. Gosh I put up with so much for the last year and I am grateful I had the surgery. I feel great and I wish I would have had the sense to do this a year ago. For the ladies who are getting prepared for your surgery please know we all feel those same anxieties. We are human and of course were scared. However, the light is right around the corner. I can pee again like a normal person, I will not be using a tampon for the rest of my life (yeaaaaa) and I will never be onvacation again getting my period twice in 3 weeks and Miss Carolyne we will not gain weight. In fact I lost 8 pounds since my surgery. No the fibroid did not make the 8 pound loss I ate less. My intention is to be fabulous at 50. On a positive note I took a light hearted book with me while waiting to go into surgery. My son my partner and my doctor shared some laughs right before I went under. Positive thoughts
All the best
Riley Ru
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM

To Caroylyn and Sammer - see you on post op forums. best wishes.

Keltec, Riley Ru, RMIx2 great supportive responses. Every single person has to make choices based on their own experiences, symptoms and consider options based on investigations with their own medical team. Educating yourself on the options only makes for better questions, discussions with your GYN when making the final decisions.

Hunnah - You have stated that that ovaries and cervix are 'critical to your future well-being' - you don't know these ladies or their histories, and it doesn't help to be negative on their future, by infering 'post hysterectomy conditions'. If you are interested, ask more questions of these ladies to clarify their stories and what led to their decisions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register