New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid

Unread 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Re: New Here...Surgery Scheduled Next Tues. Oct 11- Fybroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb99 View Post
To Caroylyn and Sammer - see you on post op forums. best wishes.

Keltec, Riley Ru, RMIx2 great supportive responses. Every single person has to make choices based on their own experiences, symptoms and consider options based on investigations with their own medical team. Educating yourself on the options only makes for better questions, discussions with your GYN when making the final decisions.

Hunnah - You have stated that that ovaries and cervix are 'critical to your future well-being' - you don't know these ladies or their histories, and it doesn't help to be negative on their future, by infering 'post hysterectomy conditions'. If you are interested, ask more questions of these ladies to clarify their stories and what led to their decisions.
Thank you for all that jumped to us "fibroid" people. I did take it as a slap in the face. After years of pain and can't do anything because you are bleeding so badly and blood clots that feel like softballs while you are passing them and anemia that is so bad that it effects my asthma and makes my hair fall out I don't think I need anything left for my "future well being" or whatever that is suppose to mean....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar06 View Post
Thank you for all that jumped to us "fibroid" people. I did take it as a slap in the face. After years of pain and can't do anything because you are bleeding so badly and blood clots that feel like softballs while you are passing them and anemia that is so bad that it effects my asthma and makes my hair fall out I don't think I need anything left for my "future well being" or whatever that is suppose to mean....
You are very welcome. Hopefully we were able to explain to her why we make/made the choices we did. I had bleeding like that too. I could not live my life, be with my kids at times...it was awful and I felt like I could not be the mom and wife I should be. I feel like I made the best choice for me. I kept my ovaries because they were good and healthy. My cervix went because I had had so many bad pap tests. I feel I had God helping me in each decision along the way. Each person needs to do what is right for them. I wish all of you a speedy recovery.
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:38 PM

And I would also lime to add that for those of us BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 positive keeping overies is not an option. I feel my overies are a ticking time bomb ready to get ovarian cancer at any moment. So for me removing them will be a HUGE relief!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnah View Post
I'm thinking that you lost the wall of text because it was inappropriately angry...

My post is/was in defense of all of us who are told we need hysterectomy when there really is something else we can try. I'm not saying that there are alternatives for everyone, and I know that women who are suffering with no end in sight welcome this surgery.

I'm a woman's advocate and if you read anything else in there it comes from your own anger and frustrations and I don't blame you for having negative emotions. We all struggle sometimes with knowing what is our issue and what is someone else's.
I was perfectly fine until I saw your post. I wasn't inappropriately angry. Your post is uneducated and insensitive.

It definitely doesn't look like you are in defense of all of us. You blatantly popped in here and started spewing dogmatic crap like you are scolding us for our choices. I don't mind answering questions when someone doesn't understand. If I'm asked nicely, why or what was wrong, how did you feel, etc., I'll gladly answer. But your tone isn't that way and if it was meant to be nice, caring, sisterhoodish, then maybe next time, you could re-think the way your posts sound before hitting the submit button.

If you think I'm inappropriate, then I suggest you re-read your first post. I just have the balls to call you out on it.

Hysterectomy is a VERY sensitive issue with all of us. We are here to be supportive, not to be judged or scolded for our choices.

I am sorry you are having to battle endo cancer and hope you recover well with no complications.

:the end:
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Carolyne, I too have battled with fibroids all of my life.

I'm just a little over 9 weeks? post op, vertical incision and I'm still hoping to feel like my normal self soon. TAH takes a toll on the body. There is a lot of trauma to the abdomen, so be prepared to be sore/tender for a while. I'm still tender in spots. My uterus was 15in in length, 9in in diameter and full of fibroids. They took a growth spurt and my uterus got so huge within 2 1/2 months. I was trying so hard to get my surgery scheduled before it got so big, she'd have to cut me all the way above and around my navel to get it out. whew.

As for the weight gain, don't dwell on that until you are COMPLETELY healed. You might put on some weight because you will not be as active for the first few months. Once your doc has cleared you, then you can always start a good cardio or weight program to burn off the weight you might put on.

Now, if you have your ovaries removed, it might take some time to get those hormones corrected and that might cause some unwanted side effects like a ravenous appetite.

My personal opinion, hormones really don't play that big of a role in weight gain. You have to learn to control what you eat & how much you eat. That goes for anyone that doesn't want to gain weight.

Keep in mind, exercising/cardio/weights, alone, will not make you lose weight .......It all starts in the kitchen. You can't exercise away a bad or unhealthy diet.

Don't worry about it. You just need to focus on recovering first.

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltec View Post
I just typed a freaking wall of text and lost it.

I'll keep this short.

Have you done any real research on fibroids? There is no entirely correctable method for fibroids that preserves the uterus. The ONLY entirely correctable method is hysterectomy.

I think you should read more of the ladies posts about fibroids and their suffering and try doing more research. Many of the ladies have tried ALL of the options with no results.

As for cervix & ovaries, for some, its a choice, others, there is no choice.

I've not seen any lady so far, that is doing this for the heck of it. They are here because they are scared and need support and possible alternatives if they haven't persued them. Most of the ladies in this PRE-OP thread have made their choice or tried the options. There is a thread called Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

I find your post offensive and its like a slap in the face to those that suffer from fibroids. I feel you are being judgmental towards those that make choices you don't feel is something you would choose to do. There is nothing wrong with the choices some make because of the what ifs.

I'm not here to argue. I thought I'd post my feelings since you posted yours.

Love to all you ladies and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
I must agree with you. I suffered with years and I DID try the alternatives first!! They were like putting a bandaid on the issue at hand!!

And I also found the statements previously made kind of offensive, I'm 35 years old and have no children...believe me, this was not a decision I took lightly!! These ladies need support not criticism or judgement.

That being said, of course one should always have a second opinion!!
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Each person must decide what is right for them personally. And No One has the right to judge others decisions about thier health!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register