who should be there during surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

who should be there during surgery? who should be there during surgery?

Unread 10-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Re: who should be there during surgery?

I had my husband there with me, and my parents came to visit for like 20 minutes- which was plenty. I really did appreciate my husband being there because I hate hospitals- he stayed the whole time. While I appreciated the thought behind my parents visiting, I wasnt really in the best state right after surgery, physically or emotionally, and I ended up scaring them a little. I almost wished they hadnt come because I felt bad worrying them, but they brought my DH out to dinner and that gave him a break, and they probably would have worried more if they hadnt seen me. Plus they brought me a whoopie pie lol. Overall though, that many people would freak me out, I was definitely not up for it, and I actually did tell a young woman I work with that even though I appreciated her caring enough to want to visit, I probably wouldnt be up for it for a few days. I felt bad, but I really wasnt comfortable with her seeing me in the hospital all white and pasty and yucky. Totally up to you though, whatever you are comfortable with is whats important
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I do feel like that would be too many people there. I know that my mother loves me and is worried, but she doesn't do well with crowds and rarely leaves the house because of it. I would be worried about her instead of concentrating on getting better. My friends are sweet, but the only ones that I truly want there are my daughters, my DH-, and my SIL. We only found out this past December that I also have lupus so getting my daughters to leave my side is like fighting a war alone. It's not a winning situation but I love them for it. I'm going to tell everyone else that my DH or the girls can call them when I feel up to it.
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:03 AM

That sounds like the best idea. It's wonderful that you have so many worried about your welfare - but glad that your visitors will be limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM

in all my surgeries I have only wanted my husband there.
Things can get messy with blood and fluids. not to mention the tummy upsets.
I always had others come when I felt a little better... later in the evening or the next day.
Now I may have my sister come over if my husband has to work a little that day. He runs his own business and may need to meet one of his agent to help them on something. I like having someone there to help so I do not have to always call the nurse...
It is a personal choice and if they are good friends they will understand...
I know mine do...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register